It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
(male)

dextar HB User
(UPDATE) Dayquil/Nyquil and Alcohol

On the back of Nyquil and Dayquil packages, it says you shouldn’t them if you drink 3 or more alcoholic drinks a day. I’ve been taking Dayquil and Nyquil this whole week, but today I haven’t taken any. So would it be safe to drink 3 or more drinks today? Or should I wait a while?

UPDATE:

I have another question. Yesterday I had four beers and got kind of drunk (I'm a 145 lb male). About 3-4 hours later (I was still a tiny bit drunk), I got a stuffy nose (because I'm allergic to cats and there were cats around) and without thinking I took some nyquil. I don't think it was a full serving because there was only a little left at the bottom of the bottle. Do you think I could have gotten any liver damage because of this?

Also, today I have a slightly sore throat and aching joints, slight shivers, and I feel kind of weak. Could I be getting a cold/flu, or is it a unique hangover I'm getting because of the combination of beer and nyquil? (I've had hangovers before and they didn't feel quite like this.)

PS: Is it safe to take nyquil again tonight?

Last edited by dextar; 11-04-2006 at 02:35 PM.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User
Re: Dayquil/Nyquil and Alcohol

I'm not sure about that I personally dont think it would be a problem. The thing is that nyquil has alcohol in it and mixed with alcohol might have a bad affect. I also think they might have tylenol which you shouldn't drink while taking cause its hard on the liver and other organs. I am no professional though. I think that is why the warnings are there though. Alot of otc meds say that but they also have some kind of pain med in them too. Acetametapin (sp) or tylenol. But like I said not a professional with this. Kim

Last edited by kim4074; 10-05-2006 at 10:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
(male)

bcubed72 HB User

Yeah it's the Acetominiphen (Tylenol) that's hard on the liver. Given that so many people have liver failure as the result of mixing the two, it's a wonder that hospitals are in love with it. The only thing I can think of is it provides a disincentive to go overboard with pain meds if it involves taking big doses of Acetomeniphen. Unfortunately I didn't know that 9 yrs ago and celebrated my 25th by getting drunk then downing what was left of my coedine pain pills. (A followup liver function test was okay, thankfully.)

Maybe someone in the healthcare field could explain why opioid-based pain meds so frequently contain Tylenol. Is it to discourage abuse?

Old 10-06-2006, 04:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

to answer the why tylenol is in alot of different pain meds?its because when tylenol is added to narcotics it has whats called a "synergesic"(not too sure i spelled that right)effect or an enhancement of the pain killing properties.it really does help to "boost" the overall effectiveness.unfortunetly,the majority of pain meds DO have tylenol,and the reasons could also be,mostly in this day and age when they are sooo availiable,they are trying to prevent whats been happening mostly with oxycontin,the abuse.that could be why we haven't seen any plain old hydro products come down the pike yet.that really could make the most widely abused narcotic even much much worse.could you imagine?"snortable vicodin"not a good idea.

to answer the dayquil/nyquil question.i am assuming that what you have been taking is in the pill form and not the liquid?there is no alcohol in the pill form and there is no tylenol in the liquid form just because of the bad effects the tylenol/alcohol combo have on the liver. as long as you are not actually taking any of the med on the day OF your having a couple of drinks,you should be fine.the tylenol is normally(or the toxic effects it would have?)metabolized and out of the liver in about six hours.but just to be totally safe,i would just not drink on any actual day that you have to take any tylenol.why push it if you know there is an actual risk,ya know?

please drink responsibly,and of course,i know you will.marcia

Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 AM   #5
(male)

laughingman HB User

dayquil/nyquil both contain antihistamines which can dehydrate you making you drunk faster than you want to be. they also contain dxm which if i remember right isn't wise to mix with alcohol.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
(male)

dextar HB User

Hi, I updated the first post of this thread with another question.

Closed Thread