It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

InRecovery07 HB User
Exclamation Ultram...How Long to become Addicted physically?

Good afternoon:

Does anyone know how LONG it takes to have physical W/D from taking Ultram? A week? Less? I'm just curious, I've noticed a lot of folks on here talking about it, and I got rid of a script the other day for it...Glad I didn't start taking it because it seems very addictive.

Thanks!
God Speed

Old 10-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
(female)

MsMinn HB User
Re: Ultram...How Long to become Addicted physically?

Hi there,
I am on my 2nd round of being addicted to ultram. The first time it only took 2 months to get addicted.I was prescribed it for period cramps and perhaps because I take an antidepressant, the combo made me a bit high. I increased my dosage to the point of taking around 10 pills 50 mg per day. I had no idea what physical addiction was so I just decided to quit taking it...didn't taper at all. Luckily I ran out prior to a weekend and by Saturday was in total WD hell. Same thing as ppl describe here about opiate WD..flu-like symptoms, chills, stuffy nose, completely anxious yet exhausted, restless legs, sleepless nights. I had nothing to ease the pain of it.
This time I have xanax which is helping in the evening, plus I am tapering. I am not as sick from the taper but do have headaches. Now though I worry about getting hooked on xanax! (I only take btwn .25 and .75 mgs and only at night but still....)
Anyway, you are so smart not to fill that script. I think some ppl don't get the high from it but if you tend to be depressed or have prior addiction stuff (I have alcohol issues too.) STAY away from ultram!
It's just not worth it. I am also depressed lately because it raises seratonin levels.
good luck to you...
Minni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
(female)

InRecovery07 HB User
Question Re: Ultram...How Long to become Addicted physically?

Thanks Minni,

Actually I do have a prior addiction...Opiates. I told my Dr. I didn't want narcotics anymore, so he Rx'd Ultram, said it wasn't nearly as addictive. Came home and did some research...Never filled the script. I'm glad i didn't!! See my post "questions on Ultram" for more info. Thanks again! Also, I did have bad depression but it's better now. So RAISED serotonin makes you depressed?? Or have I got it wrong? And why is that?

God Speed

Old 10-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
(female)

MsMinn HB User

no the raised seratonin made me feel better when I was taking MORE ultram. Because I am now tapering...I'm decreasing it. Thus, the depression.

I think that is why the ultram was SO attractive to me. Not only did I get a floaty feeling, I was not depressed.
I wanted to get off it sooner than later this time because I don't want my brain to get used to the higher levels of seratonin. I figure the longer you are on it the more used to it your brain gets, and thinks it "needs" that much seratonin.
m

Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

I took Tramadol for like 6 weeks, stopped cold turkey and had NO W/D'S at all so for me I have not gotten addicted to it and don't see how any one could, It really didn't help with my pain at all so I went off it... and it didn't make me feel good in any way shape or form.

In fact it makes me so sleepy and icky feeling, I really don't care for it at all anymore..... Its not much stronger than Motrin in my opinion, but that is only my opinion...

Old 10-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

Be careful with tramadol as to much can cause seizures!!!!!......Dave

Closed Thread