It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
(male)

nofuninsuds HB User
Question Increased thirst for days after drinking??

I have been drinking anywhere from 6-8 beers (and sometimes gin) almost every day for several years although I have recently been drinking much less often and in much smaller amounts. Often when I drink, the next morning I will wake up very "dry" and thirsty. Sometimes I will get so thirsty in the middle of the night that I will even have dreams about drinking water. Often, I will wake up the next morning after a night of drinking and gulp down 2-3 big glasses of water and then go back for even more later. Every so often (and this is one of those times) I will stay thirsty for days and since I am a HUGE Hypochodriac ("health anxiety") and suffer from panic attacks, I'm always thinking that because I'm thirsty it must be a sign of rabies or diabetes even though in the back of my mind, I'm quite sure it is simply dehydration caused by the alcohol. This morning, I woke up, turned on the light and my eyes were extremely sensitive to it but pretty soon my eyes adjusted but I was still thinking "uh-oh...thirst+light sensitivity=rabies!!" and I had a panic attack over this which soon went away after I took an Ativan. Incidentally, I have been SOBER for two days now and although detox is tough, it feels WONDERFUL to actually wake up SOBER in the mornings!.

Anyway, is the thirst, dreams about water, etc normal after alcohol consumption?. I'm not to woried about the "light" thing because I think it's pretty normal for your eyes to have to adjust when you first wake up in the morning.

- Thank you for the input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
(female)

LisaV HB User
Re: Increased thirst for days after drinking??

Nofuninsuds,

I am off the hydros which was my original problem. I still drink, not a lot according to what I know, as I was married to an alcoholic, but sometimes 2-3 drinks a night about 3 days a week. When I was younger I did this, you know, going out after work, happy hour, college parties, etc., so I didn't think it was a big deal. However, I noticed in the last few months that I sometimes have a racing heart and immense thirst in the mornings. I don't feel hungover, or at least as I would describe a hangover from a wild night of partying. But I have symptoms that vary. I am also being treated for anxiety. I'll make this short, but when I spoke to my psychiatrist about this (she is managing my anxiety meds) she described the whole "homeostatis" thing to me as it relates to the body. This is what your body does to regulate itself...to get back to a normal state. So, if you are dehydrated from alcohol or if you are on any drug, be it for pain or depression or anxiety, anything, your body will take over and start working to get to a normal state. This can happen at any time of day, but especially after a night's sleep when you've not had any substances at all. It goes into overdrive during withdrawals from anything, that's all the symptoms described here when someone goes off drugs or alcohol, but full blown w/d's have big time symptoms, so there is no doubt what they are. Your thirst may be mini-w/d's from the alcohol comsumption. I'm no expert, but I've gone through a lot and if I go for days without drinking and I exercise and eat right, I never experience the morning symptoms of thirst or rapid heart rate, etc. So, I guess we have to take responsibility to make certain our body get what it needs, and to stay away from what it doesn't want. I have a long story about ending up in the ER due to anxiety, hydros, alcohol, and they were the reason I ended up there with such a rapid heartbeat they though I was having a tachycardia. My resting heart rate was 180 (it should be like 60-70 depending on your health). Anyway, what I am saying is that I bet your thirst is what you think..dehydration and your body craving the H2o it needs. I just wanted to share my thoughts, but if you are experiencing these symptoms I would suggest staying off the alcohol. I don't know if you have a problem or not. Hell, I still drink, but much less, and I know that is still a problem because it makes me feel bad. I guess we all have to address the issues of why we do this to our bodies, but again, I just wanted to share these thought in hopes of giving you any information that may help you understand what may be happening to you. Let me know if you have any questions. And, good luck with the anxiety. I visit that board occasionally, and it is a HUGE help!

Lisa

Old 11-06-2006, 05:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Increased thirst for days after drinking??

What Lisa mentioned about the homeostasis thing is right on.your body needs certain things in it in order to function to its optimum.water is one of the most important things.since alot of body systems really dfepend on it they can all get a bit messed up when there is not enough to go around,sooo your brain is telling you it is basically low on water please send more.

lack of proper hydration can effect many many areas,including your heart rate and rhythem.it runs on a certain amount of chemicals and minerals in order to maintain its normal rhythem,and when there is one of those components missing(water) well,things will sometimes get a bit wierd(its your bodys way of telling you to drink more water)so the tachy heart rate is just that,a symptom of not enough water.this also depletes very important electrolytes that help alot with maintaining normal heart rhythem.these need to be replaced as well,and usally are once you start eating and drinking again

One thing that alot of people don't realize is that alcohol in any form is a diuretic(makes you pee alot)do you notice just how much more you pee when you are drinking?this goes on even way after you have stopped drinking.this alone just depletes your water suplly and needs to be replaced.also having(in most people) the day after loose stools will also deplete water in you.

just an FYI on the gin you mentioned you drink?for some reason,and i am thinking its a chemical makeup of the gin itself,out of all the alcoholic beverages avaiiable out there,gin is for some reason,the hardest on your body systems.i heard this many years ago and recently i heard it again.i am not sure why but i am sure if you did some reaerch on it you would be able to come up with the reason.you may want to drop that one out of your list of alcoholic beverages you drink.or better yet,quit drinkiing all alcohol and save your body from the damage that will most definitely result over time and possible problems that always come along for the ride when alcohol is involved.people just can do really bad,uncaring and really stupid things when drinking.and the damage it does to your liver and brain and other body systems,well you know.

just make sure to always(everyday even when not drinking)drink alot of water thru out the day.i drink water from the time i get up inthe morning til i go to sleep.and yes,i do have to get up during the night twice,but i have to keep my kidneys well flushed because i have a kidney disease.the water really really helps me alot.good luck,marcia

Closed Thread