It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

mikesgirl HB User
Dealing with true Pain issues

I am kind of a newbie to this particular board.

I believe that I have some addictions issues starting. The problem is, I do have legitimate problems with pain as well.

I injured my SI joint about 18 months ago with moderate pain most days a week. Currently on meloxicam (an NSAID) and hydro and tramadol.

I take 10mg hydro a day OR 75-100mg tramadol ( I know, that must seem like nothing to some of you). It doesn't help my pain per se, but does help me to forget about it a bit.

The problem comes is when I take the drugs even on days I am not so painful. I take them to make my sad depressed brain feel better.

I really don't want to take any drugs at all, but I especially don't want to take them for the wrong reasons.

How do I balance this?

Thank you all, K

Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

robinbird HB User
Re: Dealing with true Pain issues

I think you're probably okay since your dosages are low. When you start taking more then you have a problem. Sometimes your body will build up a tolerance to the dose and you think you need more to get the same relief. Just be very careful to not take more than is prescribed for your actual pain. I understand about taking them on days when you don't hurt, been there, done that. Just try not to do it, that can get you into trouble, I've done that too. Just watch it very closely and hang in there!

Good luck.
Robinbird

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

If you are actually taking this when you don't actually have pain,you are at the very very beginnings of a possible blooming addiction,stop it now before you get to the point that you can't.trust me,been down that road before and you do not want to go there.one of the biggest reasons that someone becomes,mostly women actually,addicted to something that just makes them 'feel good' is because they are actually depressed.my addiction problems started while i was actually suffering from post partum depression.i didn't realize this til many years later.but i finally got onto a good anti depressant and went thru a great treatment program and my life got back on track.it was absolute hell there for a few agonizing years.

once you go over the actual Rxing guidelines that your doc has set for you,it becomes easier and easier to keep doing this.believe me,you can justify the use in many ways.addicts are great at justifying their use and can think up many excuses for doing it and continuing to do it.its that justification we feel that allows us to give ourselves "permission' to keep on abusing.its a really sick cycle and creates really warped thinking patterns.you end up lying,stealing and doing anything you have tyo just to keep your supply on hand.i hated myself for what i was doing not just to me but my family.and the guilt??oh geez,that was one thing that did a big number in my head one.

you just really need to speak with your doc about a possible depression here,really.alot,i mean alot,or addicts/alcoholics are actually very depressed people who find out when they take something narcotic,espescially hydro based products?the just 'feel" sooo much better.that was how my addiction started.i mean really,if you can take a pill that pulls you out of your bad feelings,who wouldn't want to continue on with it?and the addiction begins.

i am glad you posted this now and not after your child was born and you were here two years down the road wondering what in the hell happened.this does need to be adressed now,as soon as possible.seeing a therepist to help you to cope right now,along with just having to deal with pain,would be a really great idea.you need to be evaluated by your doc for possible depression now vs later.hopefully you havecaught yourself intime and will be able to adjust things much more easily now vs later.

one hugething here is i do think considering the rather unique properties of hydro,you really really need to go off of it,this drug is one sneaky bi***.there is a very unique quality that hydro has that some people will feel and some wont.it is that kind of 'energizing' quality?it just makes you feel like your happy and can do anything.it just sucks you right in.it did me,totally and completely.this is a med i will never ever take again.i suffer from severe,very severe chronic pain from five seperate pain generators due to a spinal cord injury and other major medical problems.i HAD to go back onto narcotics after over a decade of being totally clean and sober.it really made me sick to have to throw away all my good clean time that i had workes sooo hard to maintain but if i wanted to even be able to get physically out of bed in the morning,this was what i had to do.i amtaking long acting pain meds now and have been able to maintain full med compliance thru my pain clinic(with a narcitic contract and suprise urine tests and pill counts)for almost three years.buti will never ever touch hydro again.this would be my downfall.i know that,without a doubt.it just has that kind of a hold on me.i also would not be able to do this at all if my pain doc was not fully aware of my history and also along with the very heavy monitoring i need.but this was something i had to do and it really killed me.but i know my weaknesses and know thatonce an addict always an addict and i never ever forget that either.or the very real pain and devistation i caused my family with my addiction.

I would very highly recomend rethinking your hydro use,really.you are right where i was many many years ago,this is a very dangerous drug for many of us who have that same 'feeling' from it.just look at how many peole here on this board are addicted to it,that should tell you something about that feeling and the danger of you continuing to use it.there are many many ways to treat pain.talking with your doc about it may be the best idea.

just what are you actual pain issues right now?that alone would determine the best possible types of treatments and the right meds for the type of pain you are dealing with.some meds just work much much better for specific types of pain.knowing what your pain issues are would really help me to give you the best possible advice.but you do need to be evaluated for depression as soon as possible to find out what may possibly causing you to overuse your meds.this is just the usual culprit but not the only one.i wish you lots of luck with this.but you need to take action now vs later,before things get way beyond any real control.once that happens,the road get really rough.take care and congrats on the baby.marcia

Old 12-31-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
(female)

mikesgirl HB User

Thank you feelbad, for your thoughtful reply.

I have been feeling depressed, especially since my pain started, and moreso the longer I took the meds. About a month ago I awoke in the night with my first, and so far only, panic attack, and at that time I knew I had to start some serious soul searching.

I don't want to go down the wrong road, so to speak. There is a part of me that says, "address this NOW". I am listening.

I have been off meds for 2 days. Doing ok. Trying to think about one day at a time.

Last week I made an appointment with a therapist. I thought that I could deal with this all myself, but I can't. I also had a talk with my husband, who was very supportive.

It helps me to know that I am at least trying to do the right things for myself. Something keeps telling me that it will all be ok someday, and that I am heading in the right direction.

I have also started seeing a new DO. She seems like someone who really wants to help, so that is a good thing too.

As for my pain, it has been difficult to get a good diagnosis-hence part of the problem. The general consensus seems to be that it is coming from my SI joint. I had one steroid injection there that actually made it worse-other than that I have been on oral meds-tried celebrex and arthrotec-did nothing-now on meloxicam which I think helps some. Plus the tramadol and hydro. I was taking ambien for about 6 months to help me sleep-but I decided to get off that too. For the most part I have been successful with that-but do take it occasionally still. Tried amitriptyline, hated it!! Do not want to take antidepressants at this time. Thinking of trying some "natural" supplements.

My pain varies day to day-sometimes I actually have none! But that is rare. Most days I vary between a 3 to a 7 at the worst.

I used to exercise but a lot of times it hurts-but I do try. I miss it though. I used to do yoga too, and I miss that also!

Anyway, that is more of my story. By the way, I am NOT having a baby-not sure where that came from!

Thank you so much!

Old 12-31-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
(female)

mikesgirl HB User

Thank you feelbad, for your thoughtful reply.

I have been feeling depressed, especially since my pain started, and moreso the longer I took the meds. About a month ago I awoke in the night with my first, and so far only, panic attack, and at that time I knew I had to start some serious soul searching.

I don't want to go down the wrong road, so to speak. There is a part of me that says, "address this NOW". I am listening.

I have been off meds for 2 days. Doing ok. Trying to think about one day at a time.

Last week I made an appointment with a therapist. I thought that I could deal with this all myself, but I can't. I also had a talk with my husband, who was very supportive.

It helps me to know that I am at least trying to do the right things for myself. Something keeps telling me that it will all be ok someday, and that I am heading in the right direction.

I have also started seeing a new DO. She seems like someone who really wants to help, so that is a good thing too.

As for my pain, it has been difficult to get a good diagnosis-hence part of the problem. The general consensus seems to be that it is coming from my SI joint. I had one steroid injection there that actually made it worse-other than that I have been on oral meds-tried celebrex and arthrotec-did nothing-now on meloxicam which I think helps some. Plus the tramadol and hydro. I was taking ambien for about 6 months to help me sleep-but I decided to get off that too. For the most part I have been successful with that-but do take it occasionally still. Tried amitriptyline, hated it!! Do not want to take antidepressants at this time. Thinking of trying some "natural" supplements.

My pain varies day to day-sometimes I actually have none! But that is rare. Most days I vary between a 3 to a 7 at the worst.

I used to exercise but a lot of times it hurts-but I do try. I miss it though. I used to do yoga too, and I miss that also!

Anyway, that is more of my story. By the way, I am NOT having a baby-not sure where that came from!

Thank you so much!

Old 12-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
(female)

mikesgirl HB User

oops, not sure how that got posted twice?

Closed Thread