It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
(male)

jamesm HB User
Quit norco habit, started Suboxone worried & confused about best method

On Monday I stopped my 10-15 a day Norco 10/325 habit that had slowly crept up over the last year. I fessed up to my wife, and had her flush my pills.
The next day I decided I didn't want to go CT, because I was feeling like crap from withdrawals already, and had been unsuccessful in the past with CT and trying to taper. I called about 20 doctors before I found one who would see me the same day and get started on Suboxone.

Since I was in a rush, I didn't get to find perhaps the "best" doc, but I'm off the Norcos, so it's a start. This doctor says I'll need to stay on the Sub for about 6 months, then slowly taper off. I'm not so sure about this.
The more I read, the worse idea I think that is. I've pretty much decided to use Suboxone for a 5-7 day detox from the hydrocodone instead of going on a maintenance dose of it.

I had 8 mg on Tues, 8 mg yesterday, and 4 mg today. I'm feeling ok. I've been able to work and exercise everyday. I'm planning on taking 1mg tonight, depending on how I feel. Then tomorrow I'll take 3 mg total, 2 mg Saturday, and 1 mg on Sunday. Monday I will be drug free.

From what I've read, using it for 5-8 days will help you get off your opiate of choice and also minimize withdrawals from the Suboxone.

I am also ready to face this problem head on, have left messages for a couple therapists, and have told all my friends. I am very motivated to quit and stop trying to hide this damn secret and bear this burden all on my own (like I used to think I could).

I would appreciate any advice on other's who have detoxed using Suboxone for about 1 week. I looked at all the prescribing data for it, and this is definitely one way it is recommended to be used...the other being transferring onto long-term maintenance. But I really don't want to trade one addiction for another.

Please, I'd love any advice. Thank you so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

bkim HB User
Re: Quit norco habit, started Suboxone worried & confused about best method

Hey there. You might want to check out some of the previous posts from StacyVictor. This will give you some good info on the use of sub.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #3

OBXboy HB User
Re: Quit norco habit, started Suboxone worried & confused about best method

I have used sub for some time now and have a wonderful doctor who is in no rush to see me stop, but also maintains me on a low dose (4 to 6 mg/day). I also see a psychotherapist every Wednesday to discuss my progress. My MD and shrink consullt and work together on my treatment. I find that the sub helps a bit with pain and definitely evens otut my mood. It isn't the same for everyone. I'd advise against using for only 5 to 7 days unless you have a plan inplace. Your body WILL start looking for the norco once the sub leaves your system. The sub moves through you slowly. On 4 mg. per day, I could use the med for 4 straight days and then go 2 or 3 without it before starting to feel physical w/d. Some have a difficult time withdrawing from sub, but if you are on a moderate dose, a taper shouldn't be too bad. I suggest you consider continuing the suboxone while exploring your non-physical motivations for using Norco in the way you did. Without addressing those issues, relapse is more likely. Good luck!

Closed Thread