It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

bkim HB User
1st day of no dipping tomorrow-using chantix-suggestions please

Hey guys. Please let me know of anything that has helped. I have been chantix for a week, and tomorrow is my quit date. I'm a little scared and nervous about tomorrow. I use smokeless tobaccco pretty much all during the day. Thanks much.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
Re: 1st day of no dipping tomorrow-using chantix-suggestions please

Hi Tim, what is smokeless tabacco? I have no idea what it is and have been meaning to ask you? my friend quit 3 days ago using chantix and is doing good. its a good drug and is helping millions of people, I hope it also helps you. If you can quit hydro you can quit cigs, your a strong man and I KNOW you can do it. maybe you can go to the cig board here on health boards and post over there to. for some idea's and support as I am not sure if what your smoking is even addicting like nicotine is. I used to smoke clove ciggerettes, those are nasty to.

Good luck to you, you will do great. it won't be easy but the medication will help you.
when I quit before I used gum galore. trident has a new kind of gum that is AWESOME. it comes in apple, strawberry and all sorts of neat flavors watermellon, rasberry and lime I have a bag full at all times,..wal-mart has all the good kinds and its yummy and sugar free can't beat that huh. I love the apple fusion, it squirts a substance in your mouth to. YUM... LOL.

Also carrots and celery help and loli pops and candy in general is helpful. have you ever smoked actual tabacco cigs?

good luck and have a great night.
SS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
(female)

donewithvics HB User

Tim,
You are going to be fine. Have you noticed a decrease in the desire to dip? If not, you will or should. It may take longer than the prescribed 8 days...I wasn't perfect after my "quit" date, but when I did slip up and have one, it wasn't like, "ohhhh that tastes great" or like "getting my fix". It was neutral. That's why I like this drug so much. Everytime I've quit in the past, it was so mental...this drug completely eliminated the mental aspect for me. I also had no physical withdrawls either, which was amazing. Of course, gum chewing may be helpful and/or hard candy...my personal fav, jolly ranchers. Good luck to you tomorrow and don't be too hard on yourself if you slip up and have a dip or two.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:45 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

bkim HB User

Thanks for the post guys. Smokless tobacco is like chewing tobacco, but its a finer cut and you put it in your bottom lip. It has nicotine in it just like the cigs. Its worse I think because you can really do it when ever/ where ever you want. I have noticed that I havent wanted it as much in the last few days.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

bkim HB User

ugggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!! LOL. Man, this is killing me right now. Its like I do some work, and reach for my reward and its not there. It really is like saying goodbye to an old friend. I will be more prepared tomorrow with a bunch of vegies. Honestly, I dont know what is worse to quit-the pills or this thing. Yeah, we get a lot more sick from the pills, but I dont think I had cravings like this.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

I have been smoke free since 10/14, I also cheated through day 12 and then stopped smoking. I still get cravings here and there, sometimes stronger than others, I carry my Chantix around for maintenance. I take at least two pills a week still. If I am going to be around a smoker or smokers I will definately take one.

Good luck, its a tough addiction, supposedly the hardest one of them all. Cut yourself a break.

Cram315

Old 01-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
(female)

donewithvics HB User

Tim,
I've thought about you all day and hoping it's been tolerable for you. Again, I'd say that while you have to do your part on this drug, perhaps it will take 14 days before you are dip free. Don't beat yourself up and if you feel you need it, do it. It may just take longer for the Chantix to build up in your system. On week 2, you should be taking 1 mg in the am and 1 mg at night vs the .5 mg 2X day...with a few days of this new dose under your belt, I promise you, the mental part should get markedly better. For me, it has NOT been uncomfortable. Just knowing I guess that if I need a cig, I can have one, may make it easier. There is no mental torture...unlike in the past quitting or in the pills. The Chantix has made me not crave the cigs...which is why it's so successful I guess. Breath deeply...it will get better...I promise.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
(female)

pidypat HB User

tim i,m on day 9 good that you are quiting i smoked 45 yrs some days in the first week you will have cravings its okay if you eat snacks to curve your cravings also drink lots and lots of water. 2nd week its alot better. i have,nt reached the 3rd week. there is postings on the smoking board . remember to take 1hr at a time. keep posting lets us know how you are doing.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

toughtime HB User

Hey Tim!

Way to go man, that is awesome! I feel for you though. The first few days after I quit smoking were painful. The first day back at work was miserable. I spent my lunch hour driving around crying. I was so "off" not having that cigarette break, not having the smoke while driving. Well, the next day was better and easier and it's been 23 days now and I haven't had a smoke! It gets easier! I'm on the patch and I also use lozenges for big time cravings. A lot of people thing that's bad but I've been on the ******* site a lot and many people posted articles saying that that's a good thing to combine gum and patches or lozenges and patches, that the strongest patch is equivalent to about 1/2 a pack of cigarettes and studies have shown that the longer people stick with a nicotine replacement therapy the better the chances that they stay tobacco free are. Now, I'm not stupid and I'm sure that the nicorette and commit companies sponsored all of those studies! But hey, it's working for me. I'm on wellbutrin but I wish I'd gone the chantix route. It seems to be a wonder drug, but of course you have to work at it also.

The way you got off of pills and as healthy as you are- working out and all- I have no doubt whatsoever that you'll be able to quit the smokeless tobacco. I would just caution you about the lozenges or gum, since yours was already smokeless tobacco. It seems to me like it would be very easy and convenient to switch addictions there. I know a guy who quit smoking 2 years ago and he still chews nicotine gum every day! So I wouldn't go that route if I were you. But if you find yourself freaking out, get a patch. That way you are geting rid of the nicotine in the mouth habit, but you have nicotine in your system so you are steadier and calmer. Then go a week or two, cut the patches in half, then get off those. Or as long as you need them.

I swear by lollipops, but I was a smoker. Since you went the smokeless route you might want to try sugar free lemon drops or gum or things like that. I have gained 4 pounds in 3 weeks so my binging on sugar method probably isn't the best!

Anyway, I haven't checked in here in a while but I saw your post so I wanted to give you support. You can do it!!!

Debbie

Old 01-24-2007, 07:37 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

bkim HB User

Hey you guys are awesome!! Well, I'm hanging in there, but my finger nails are pretty much gone. All of you guys really gave me something to think about. Appreciate it so much.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hi Buckeyetime,

I smoked for 25 yrs I can't believe it doing the math. I quit cold turkey on june 12th of 06. I thought I was being a great parent not smoking anywhere around my son. Well he was diagnosed with Asthma a week before I quit and the Dr said there's such a thing as third hand smoke where the smoke that remains in your hair and clothes can cause damage to those with already compromised breathing.

I'll be honest the only thing keeping me from smoking is the completely F***ed up time I had going through the withdrawals from smoking. I put on a ton of weight but you know what I don't crave them any more and I don't need an oxygen tank after one flight of stairs. It's the second hardest thing I ever done in my life but the second best thing I ever done (My son is the first). It took about 3 months to get to this point but it's so worth it. Please know you can do this and that there's a smoking board here with people going through it too.

Congrats and good luck.

Last edited by Liamsmom; 01-24-2007 at 09:43 AM.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Buckeye

I feel like I am posting to a real Board icon here. Smiles. You have shared so much good advice and support to so many. I am watching the threads about Chantix because smoking is among my list of "gotta stops."

I did some research on the drug and just thought I would share some of the things I believe are important to know about it. I think it has the potential to be a great help, so I am not here to in any way discourage its use.

What I am a little disgruntled about (not surprised, though) is that the company that produces it has been a little deceptive on its promotion. The trials they did are promoted with high success rates and that is true. What they did not make real public is that the people in the trials received behavioral therapy, weekly phone calls, and other kinds of motivational help to more ensure their success at stopping.

I guess it is kind of like what you have described in your posts about the Suboxone. It wasn't just the drug that helped you, but all the aftercare as well. It seems to me that "aftercare" has to be a part of the plan when stopping smoking, too.

For you, I think you are gutsy enough to let it all out and seek help and support from this board and wherever else you might. Like A stop smoking buddy thing.

As I said, I am really watching the Chantix threads because smoking has to stop for me also. I just fear that a company promotes a drug like it is a magic bullet cure and does not divulge openly all the other factors involved.

I wish you the very best in your attempts here. You are a strong guy and many of us read your threads for wisdom. So please, as you become a non-smoker, be sure to post all the other things you are doing to be successful at stopping. As you know, we addicts need all the info from those who have "been there, done that" to be successful.

Best wishes

reach

Old 01-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
(female)

donewithvics HB User

Reach,
I've been taking Chantix since the end of Dec and can honestly say, it IS a miracle drug and everything it has been touted as being. I was VERY skeptical about it, but my dr said she'd had remarkable success, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I didn't expect it to be so easy. That sounds weird, I know, but it's true. You take it for a week, gradually uping your dose, and during that week, you continue smoking just like you regularly do and then on day 8, you stop. Sometimes it takes up to 2 weeks, but regardless, it DEFINITELY works. It eliminates---COMPLETELY---the anxiety of "oh my gosh, I need a cig"...that whole feeling ceases to exist. That has always been my downfall with quitting...I can never make it past that...the CRAVING is always so overwhelming. This drug eliminates that somehow. So, it's literally, a breeze. Also, there is NO physical withdrawls. So, no getting antsy, snippy, etc. It's amazing. But, you have to do your part. You have to be ready. When you are, go this route. I promise, it works and it's easy because it takes away the painful part. It is covered under my insurance so I intend to take it for the full 3-6 months. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

Closed Thread