It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User
What relieves pain if you can't take pain pills?

Hi, my son was addicted to pain pills, oxycotin I believe. He is trying to clean up his life but still suffers from back pain. Flexoril and skelaxor (sp?) isn't working, what is his options? I don't want him to get narcotics. He went to the doctor today and they offered him vicodin and he said no.

Thanks!

To those that remember me, my son is trying to clean up his act, latest addiction was pain pills. He has moved out of this area four hours away, on his own. Hopefully he will make it this time!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: What relieves pain if you can't take pain pills?

Cram!!! I am so happy to hear from you. I have really been thinking about you and your son these days. My son is doing well. My son has scoleosis and he takes tylenol arthritis for back pain..........it is the only thing that helps him he says. As you know, he can't take anything either.........but he swears by the tylenol arthritis......so give it a try....can't hurt.......he takes two after work cause he stands all day long for 13 hours except for 2 30 minute breaks and his back is killing him when he gets home. Catch me up on things!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Good ol Advil works well and so does Aleve or Motrin.. Have him try them all to see which works best for him. He can also obtain some stronger NSAIDS from his Dr that are not Narcotics but good Anti inflamatories... I take a lot of Advil mixed in with my pain meds as what I get doesn't relieve all of my back pain..

Your son is to be commended for refusing the Vicadin that is great and he sounds serious about getting clean, good for him you should be proud of him.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Tylenol Arthritis might do the trick, he was told he had arthritis in his back. Aleve is the same as naproxin, which I personally swear by.

Flint (missed you!!!), we had had it w/him, he switched to pain pills. I told him we were going to Nar Anon to learn to let go . Set a date & kicked him out. He had no place to live, car broke down (we refused to fix it), cell broke and had no money. He didn't like it, he was tasting rock bottom. We did give him a choice when we kicked him out of moving out of state with our help.

He ended up packing his car and we drove away. First two days in the hotel he was sick feeling (W/Ds?). We rented a room for him, not knowing it was filled with low lifes. It was a dirty place, dirty small room. But we had no where else to move him, so we left him there. He was afraid to touch anything. When we were gone he had time to think, another taste of rock bottom. After I left him I called around and found him a great place to live. He said he was still sick but he sure did move quickly when we told him he was moving. Like a rocket, lol. He has only been on his own four days but he laughs when he calls, he is taking care of himself for the first time in his life. Is working at 7 am with friends of ours till he finds perm work. Sleeps at night when he is supposed too! He just might make it this time! He is in a very good environment and trying hard to stay clean. I am totally enjoying being a supportive mother!

Flint back to you, your son is working! He is back home! So much to catch me up on!!!!! Tell me!

cram315

Old 01-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Well, he had fines out the kazoo. We wouldn't help pay them. he kept looking for work, couldn't find anything, so he stopped looking. SHE got tired of working and paying all the bills and him sitting on his &&^%. she told him he had to go home and get his &^*% together or they would never make it. he agreed. a job he had applied for hired someone else..the guy lasted 3 hours and quit. So, they called my son.....i prayed so hard about this job and when he didn't get it, I was a little put out. But when they called him back, I knew the Lord made a way. he goes to work at 5:30. pm...I get up and take him....gets off everyday at 7:30 p.m. makes loads of overtime which he needs. thank goodness it's just 1 mile away........or I wouldn't make it.........he has one more payment on his fines and he's paid them off. he can finally see the end of the tunnel. he did it all by himself...and swears he will never get another ticket or fine...he's sick of turning over all that hard earned money..........I would be too!!! time will tell. he had to do this on his own or he would never have made it. he goes to her appt on friday's and I pick him up and bring him home on sunday. which is good, i get some alone time on the weekends..........it has worked out well so far...Isn't it funny how things work out????

Old 01-30-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
(female)

Am_In_Pain HB User

I've been in recovery for soma addiction for almost 14 years now. When I went into recovery, I gave up all narcotic medications (rx's), alcohol and even smoking! I take my recovery very seriously. HOWEVER, I have serious back problems that I kept under control for a long time with 800mg Motrin (Rx strength) and a Thermophore heating pad (Gotta get one of these! they are awesome for pain - gets really hot, then you let go of the latch and it cools, then heat up again - realllly makes a huge difference). Anyway, I got to a point this last fall when I moved wrong and put my lumbar spine out. I have surgery scheduled mid FEb (soonest I could get in), but in the meantime my pain level is not being controlled adequately by OTC pain meds, so I am on Rx pain meds.

The important thing to remember as an addict in recovery is to NEVER forget that I AM AN ADDICT. I take my meds ONLY as prescribed and won't take one extra or one minute sooner, etc. My recovery program dictates that there may be times I will need medical intervention and during those times, I will follow EXACTLY as my doctor prescribes.

When you first stop pain meds, tho, you have 'rebound pain' for a while - so several months at least with nothing before you even know what you're really working with. Then, for me I can only take a medication that takes the edge off the pain - if I get a 'buzz' or feel 'high' from it, the dosage is immediately either lowered, or the medication changed. As an addict, it's imperative that I NOT reawaken these parts of my brain. My doc put me on duragesic patches - and even tho I never felt a buzz or high, I had breakthru pain right away, so he increased the dosage; again, less than two weeks and had breakthru pain again - now at 75 mg, I faced either going up in dosage again or....stopping them, which is what I did. Why? I was sleeping 23 hours a day and in horrible pain the hour I was awake. So, basically I was 'overdosing' (the sleeping), but my body was still begging for more (the bad pain when i was awake). It was four really hard days of withdrawal with nothing more than tylenol or motrin, lots of juices and water, lots of chocolate (yes, it really does help pain levels :-), sweating, diarrhea, vomiting, shaking and hot/then cold, etc...complete withdrawal. When my head cleared, I KNEW I had done the right thing, even tho they didn't give me a buzz, my body was sucking up those narcotics like crazy.

It's our responsibility, as addicts in recovery, to recognize things like this and stop them. Don't be afraid to tell your doc 'i need more pain relief' OR 'I need a smaller dose, this one will mess with my sobriety". As recovering addicts, we cannot have full pain relief - it just doesn't happen, except when you are lucky enough to fall asleep. The rest of the time, the price we pay for being addicts is that we must feel some of our pain. Chances are we've already taken a lifetime supply of pain meds anyway

Hang tough.....keep relaxing music and a CD player nearby; take hot soaking baths; use heating pads, Sportscreme works wonders for me (OTC for sore muscles) - maybe it's the massage Surround yourself with fluffy pillows,(I bought the SOFTEST microfiber lightweight blanket in the world and it's such an incredible comfort!) herbal aromas (lavender is relaxing and helps with pain and healing), feed all your senses and you will find that your pain level will eventually even out to something you really CAN live with. When you need to writhe and moan, do that. Rock yourself while humming - it's incredibly soothing and calming. Our bodies were made to deal with pain without drugs and we can do it with just a little help to take the edge off. You will find things of your own that comfort you....these are just some examples of what I do when it gets bad. I writhed in bed so bad one day that I ended up undoing a knee surgery I had a few years ago, so now I have not only my back problem, but my knee too! (It's *almost* funny - you just have to get into the right frame of mind. I know someday I *will*look back and laugh at this, right???)

When I need a laugh......there's always the look on my husband's face when he comes into the room and sees me rocking myself and moaning......LOL. God forbid he should ever know this level of pain. It does work tho. Hopefully something here will help someone.

Hang tough - put pictures that make you smile where you can see them - sayings that keep you strong (a friend emailed me a pic of "Mighty Mouse" LOL and I printed it out and taped it next to my bed - it makes me smile. Just silly little things make a big difference.

ONE DAY AT A TIME - You really CAN DO IT! Do one minute at a time if you have to. Don't look at the 'big picture' just do TODAY....that's all. Do what is right in front of you to the best of your ability - and maybe that's just enduring pain; but do it the very best you can - call upon all your resources to help you - it's amazing how strong we are when we get determined......

Old 01-31-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the thing here is that you need to find out first,just what the main pain generator actually is.does he actually have a herniation somewhere,sciatica? the best treatments for any type of pain really boil down to just what is actually triggering the pain.this is what he actually needs to find out before anything else.all the suggestions here are fantstic,really.trying any of these will help some.but finding the problem really is important.does he actually know yet?Marcia

Closed Thread