It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User
Cocaine Effects After You Stop Using?

If you’ve been a cocaine user for several years for instance…and I know that when you’re using it you tend to sniff and sneeze more and stuff…but does anyone know if once you stop, you continue to sneeze and sniff more? One of my friends says people who have been on drugs in the past tend to twitch and fidget more than people who haven’t…so I was just wondering if cocaine does something to your nose and so you’re always more sniffy and sneezy, even after you stop.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Cocaine Effects After You Stop Using?

Hi Stevie

I am tapering off oxycodone. When I made my first big step down, I noticed a "whole lotta sneezin' goin' on!" (You would have to be old like me to get that little joke)

I have read of others who have had the same thing happen. For me, it has gone away. Didn't last more than 2-3 weeks. I am not sure why it happens. It may be due to the fact that opiates mess with the respiratory system, so maybe it is just part of the process of the body healing.

As far as the fidgeting and twitching.... I think that comes from the anxiety of coming off the opiate. It is hard for the mind to relearn how to relax on its own again. I stoll struggle with that, but it is sloooowly getting better.

I think all these issues just take time to resolve.

reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey Stevie

Was just rereading this thread and something crossed my mind. When I first began this taper from oxycodone, I noticed something else weird. Yawning. I began yawning and realized that I had not yawned for a long, long time. But the yawns weren't "complete." It was like a yawn would start and then stop 1/2 way through.

I became very aware of this. Then little by little, the yawns stetched into bigger and bigger percentages of full yawns until, finally, after about 4-5 weeks, I was yawning fully again. It actually felt good and was kind of a relief to me that a full yawn came out. Hmmph... little thing, but was somehow a sign of progress to me in getting better.

Guess the sneezing and yawning are all related to the respiratory system and its recuperation from the drug use.

Oh, well, just thought I would share that world-stopping bit of info. Smiles.

reach

Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

Whatever your nose does it is a good thing because it is healing. Cocaine, speed, other drugs were never made to be inhaled through the nose with. Except for nose inhalers, but that is not cocaine. Some of these various drugs are like broken glass to the nose membranes.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Guys

Sorry, I must have been way off base here. I had the reactions I talked about as I come off oxycodone, but I never took it through my nose.
Guess my replies look kinda dumb, huh? Lol sorry about the misunderstanding.

reach

Closed Thread