It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Weening Off Percocet Question

Hi ,
I found myself really dependant on my percocets , I take 1- 15mg perc every 12 hours plus 1-30mg Morphine every 12 hours for my pain. Thats a pill evey 6 hours , I have nerve damage and scar tissue in my spine.
I really want to get off them even if it cause me to go mad with pain. I get really sick and my anxiety goes through the roof so I have to take it . How do the Dr.'s ween you off meds ? Do they lesson the mg or pills ? I really need somthing for pain but I don't want to be on these anymore.

The Morphine makes me sick and I ask my Dr. if I could just take a percocet every 6 hours and don't take the morphine anymore and he said NO. I don't get it ? The Morphine is srtonger than the percocets and they make me sick.
But I need to take something for anxiety and the pain I feel if I don't have it.

Thank you for helping me

Old 02-08-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Weening Off Percocet Question

I guess no one had ever faced this problem ?

Thanks anyway

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Shawley

We share many similarities which I will save for another posting. I am doing a taper off opiates right now, ( my opiate happens to be Oxycodone), with my doctor. It is a long and slow taper. The mg are cut down a little bit every couple of weeks. The farther I go into the taper, the lower each cut becasue each cut starts to be a higher percentage of the total intake. About 16 weeks ago I was at about 50 mgs a day of Oxycodone (10 tabs a day). Now I am at 1/2 of one tab total a day and should be off totally very soon. The rule of thumb with tapering slowly is a 5%-10% cut each time. Once you make a drop, you don't go back up. It can be rough still, but is managable.

It was important that I was really honest with my doctor about how I was handling the cuts and I am fortunate that he is flexible enough to really work with me. When I felt I wasn't ready for a cut, we waited a few days. If I felt I was ready a few days earlier than planned, I went ahead and made the cut. Just always had to feel I could handle the next cut without ever upping the dosage again.

I am sure you have many more questions. Please come back and ask. I don't want to overwhelm you with a truckload of info in one post! I have posted a lot in the last few months as I work through this taper from oxycodone. Perhaps searching through some of my threads would help you understand the process a bit more.

Hope all works out for you. The meds, the pain, the anxiety, the meds, the pain, the anxiety.... a terrible circle I know.

Wish you well

reach

Old 02-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Shawley - I don't know if this will help but here is my 2 cents and remember I am saying this as a friend only and am definitely not a doctor.

I don't know if you remember my brother is in a wheel chair from a botched back surgery. He is 100% disabled by social security and the Navy. He often goes thru these feelings of being on to much medication and will often try to cut back on them himself. All he ends up doing is messing himself up and being 20 steps behind the meds and in severe pain and withdrawal symptoms.

I also have good friend who was in a atv accident whose doctor is currently weaning him off of percocets. They are doing something like raising the meds for awhile, than reducing it, then raising it again -- my point in telling you this, I do not think this is something you can do on your own. Unfortunately, you need the help of a physcian who is well experienced in handlig this. PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR OWN I AM BEGGING YOU for you and your family's sake.

Lastly, Shawley remember you are in chronic pain and have a reason for taking the meds. You are not taking it pleasure.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Reach ,
Thank you , oxycodone is a generic form of Percocet. My pill is real small but wicked , I forgot to mention I took more than I'm supposed to , I to was up to 8-9 pills because of my pain . I'm so scared to tell my Dr. I'm dependent/addicted because I'm affraid he'll cut me cold turkey. If my wife knew she would kill me. But I find myself running out of pill's all the time and then I have to take my Morphine that I hate but takes off the edge. I'll read your post thank you. I didn't want to become addicted , I was warned by others that it could happen. I'm quiting on my own for now till I get down to my normal dosage.

Thank you so much Reach , I'm glad someone understands. It's real embarrising for me . Thanks you again

Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Pepper , I feel so rotten for your brother , poor guy serves his country and ends up in a wheel chair. I guess it could be alot worse..Seems like it only happens to the good guys.

Anyway pepper , I have abused my meds , NOT by choice but by pain , I'm so sorry I did this to myself. I'm trying to get the nerve up to tell my Dr. but I know I will never be givin meds again if I do.. I need somthing for pain and this is the only thing that gave me any type of relief. I'm so ashamed of letting it get to this point. I told my Dr. I want to get off these things I just hope to get back to my normal dosage , I'm doing good today , I only had 2 so far , but it's almost time for another because my leg and feet are killing me. Pepper I won't do anything less than I'm supposed to do ok ?
I'm sorry if I upset you...Thats all you need right now. I promise to take my legal dosage that my Dr. put me on. my family is to important to me.

Thank you for carring pepper , I won't do this alone.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey Again Shawley

First off, I want to tell you that I was mortified when I first realized what had happened to me from the opiates. ( and yes, oxycodone is a generic, but it has no Tylenol in it).

Shawely, it was my family doctor who realized how bad I was, not the prescribing oncologist. I never hid at all from any of my doctors any meds I was taking at all. Told all of them each med (I take other meds for other medical stuff). My family doctor was the one who expressed some concern over the years.

While I did not go over the limits prescribed, I was obviously over the limits my body and brain could handle. I didn't have to tell my family doctor this. By the time I went to see him for a scheduled visit, I was an hysterical mess. I was sobbing with anxiety and depression and felt lots of physical pain. I was so tremendously embarrased when he said the primary cause was the opiate. He has been my long, long time doctor and didn't blink an eye. He just said, "I can help you with this, and I need absolute full disclosure." I immediately got defensive and tried to say that I had not gone over my prescription and he said that had no bearing at all. He didn't care where I got the pills or how many I had been taking... he just needed me to be honest so he could help me.

And so began my journey. You know, Shawley, this is not an unusual problem for doctors to see, especially among those of us who have chronic pain issues. Once I began to really tackle the problem, I was able to get past the mortification and get busy with the solution. For me, the solution was no more opiates. And the funny thing now, after these months of tapering, I have found that my pain is much more bearable than I thought when I was taking all the Oxycodone.

Shawley, my end solution does not have to be your end solution. No two stories will ever be identical. But there are some common threads. Embarassment is one of them. Please try to get past it and be upfront with your doctor. Let him know that you find yourself using more and morer meds and have serious concerns about it. He will not be shocked or think any less of you. He surely has dealt with this already with others and is aware that this happens. I am just me and can understand how easily it happened to me. Doctors who deal with chronic pain patients have a lot more experience and knowledge than me.

You are wise to understand an issue has developed for you. Continue exercising that wisdom and tackle the issue.

Wishing you well

reach

Old 02-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Reach ,
Thank you for helping , I couldn't imagine your Dr. letting you take 10 tabs a day. I screamed because my Dr. only said 1 every 6 hours. Didn't cut the pain. I have already had 3 pills today and my anxiety is so over taken my body right now.. My Dr. has already ask me to stop the meds and I said I wanted to. So now it's really up to me and I'm ready. This was the only med that helped me cope with my pain. I'm having issues fusing in my spine. I had a spinal fusion done in October 2005 ,actually it was a revision because my fusion failed in 2004. Now I have so much nerve damage and scar tissue problems I can't hardly walk. I don't know what to do about my pain. It hurts so bad I want to scream. Guess I'm just worried what I'm going to do for pain after I get off these pill's.

Thanks Reach your a true life saver

Old 02-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Shawley

Just wanted to tell you that I was on a 5 mg tab, not a 15, so that is probably why the difference in the amount of tabs.

I wanted to talk to you a little bit about pain and opiates. And please don't think I belittle the pain you suffer at all. I, too, suffer chronic pain from scar tissue, nerve damage from radiation and surgeries and the whole bit. What I have come to learn, though, is that for some of us, there comes a point where opiate use can cause rebound pain. The opiate can actually cause brain receptors to magnify the pain in an attempt to get more of the opiate to satisfy a rising need as we adjust and build tolerance to a doseage.

The decision to come off the opiates was for my mental health. My committment to come off the opiates came with the realization that my quality of life on the drugs was worse than my quality of life off the drugs.

Well, I am way overdue to get off my tush and get busy doing something. Not so much because I am ambitious, but because it keeps the anxiety and depression at bay. Smiles.

Spend some time reading various threads here through the search feature on the Board. That was something that has helped me a lot along the way.

Adios

reach

Old 02-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Shawley, I hope you don't mind my horning in with my two cents worth. You love your doctor. You can sit and talk football with him. He's a real guy, not just a highbrow.

Can you make an appt and go in and be very sincere and just level with him. Tell him what you've done. Tell him that you hate it. Tell him you need meds for your pain, but you need help. He knows you, and he knows you're truly in pain. I don't think he's going to just cut you off.

Maybe it's time to 'fess up to your wife, too, and ask for her help. She'll understand! She's stood beside you through all of this, and she's working toward being a nurse. She can hold you accountable. Maybe she can have your meds for each day set out for you, and when she gets home she checks to be sure you haven't gone over what you were supposed to take. If it's too overwhelming for you and you just can't stick to it, she can even lock up or hide the rest of the prescription and just give you each day what your doctor wants you to have.

You know, you're not alone in this! Lots of people have had this happen when they're having long term pain. But you see that you've got a problem, and you want to solve it, so you're halfway there already.

Dear, dear Shawley, you're a much loved person on these boards, and you're clearly a much loved person at home, too! We want you around for a long time! I'm glad you're trying to get this dealt with. You're doing the right thing! Good luck! We're all behind you!

Fondly,
Emily

Old 02-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Emily I'm truly sorry for all this. I hope the people on the backpain board doesn't think less of me because of this mess I've gottne into. NO my wife doesn't even know I take oxycodone , I have been living one big lie to her and feel awful about it. When my Dr. prescribed this med she warned me of addiction and didn't want me to take it , but I don't think she understood the pain I've been in and I kept it from her , my wife is a very upsetable person and if she knew this she, would freak out on me , with her" I told you so" Thats why i won't say anything to her.

I think I will be able to handle stopping because I really want to and when I want things I get it. Yesterday I backed off to only 6 pills ,thats good...Today so far I only had 3. When I get used to only taking 4 a day I will call my Dr. and ask him to ween me off slowly like Reach is doing.

Thanks for your support Emily , I didn't plan this , I have enough problems.
GOD BLESS you all for helping me cope everyday.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachout View Post
Hi Shawley

Just wanted to tell you that I was on a 5 mg tab, not a 15, so that is probably why the difference in the amount of tabs.

I wanted to talk to you a little bit about pain and opiates. And please don't think I belittle the pain you suffer at all. I, too, suffer chronic pain from scar tissue, nerve damage from radiation and surgeries and the whole bit. What I have come to learn, though, is that for some of us, there comes a point where opiate use can cause rebound pain. The opiate can actually cause brain receptors to magnify the pain in an attempt to get more of the opiate to satisfy a rising need as we adjust and build tolerance to a doseage.

The decision to come off the opiates was for my mental health. My committment to come off the opiates came with the realization that my quality of life on the drugs was worse than my quality of life off the drugs.

Well, I am way overdue to get off my tush and get busy doing something. Not so much because I am ambitious, but because it keeps the anxiety and depression at bay. Smiles.

Spend some time reading various threads here through the search feature on the Board. That was something that has helped me a lot along the way.

Adios

reach
Thanks Reach , I hope my pain level will come down , I did have relief for a couple weeks recenlty after an injection so I don't think my brain is sending any messages yet , as my friends would say what brains ..But seriously i'm going to read all your post and call my Dr. no later than next Friday when my script is gone and tell him to ween me off with lower MG's .I hope to GOD he does it that way.

Thanks again

Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

You are a strong person shawley. You have been through alot. No one will think badly of you. You must have alot of courage.

Rose

Last edited by xzx; 02-08-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Wow! Shawley!! You are such a strong individual for dealing with not only the terrible back pain but realizing that you have a problem. I am glad that you encouraged me to read this thread. I care and would have been hurt if you would not have come clean with me.

Please realize that I do not sit in judgement of you. I could see how this could happen. LORD, I have been on percocets since May of last year and there is not a day that I have not taken meds. The pain can be overwhelming I could see the need to increase the doses. Lord knows I have thought of it but made a decision to call my doc instead.

My concern for you is that you need to come clean with your wife and doctor so that you can have the much needed support you need to overcome this.

I want to apologize if I overstep my boundaries. I believe you need a new set of doctors. They are prescribing the meds and should be aware of what you are taking. Are you going to multiple docs for meds?? I am being very opinionated here -- I think they are not responding to your questions concerning your fusion and I think you so desparetly need to know the answer to the question. You are experiencing anxiety and depression from this in my opinion.

God Bless and know I care and expect you to be honest with me. I get totally depressed when I don't see you on the board each day.

Take care and please come clean. I love ya Shawley!!

Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
(female)

ReadyToBeDone HB User

Shawley, this post is gonna be quick cuz I'm hurting like hell right now (d@mn w/d's), but I know how you feel about not telling your spouse. I haven't told mine either, and I think that puts us in a hard position because we really need a partner to lean on. But like yours mine would say "I told you so" and would get mad, and keep it in his back pocket to use against me at the most convenient times, so I'm not saying its right not to tell them, just that I understand. Regardless of whether you tell her or not, you can do this. You can do anything. Love ya.

Closed Thread