It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User
question on ativan

I'm going to be trying to stop taking pain meds soon and I was wondering if it's a good idea, or would be helpful to take Ativan to help with things. I've gone through withdrawals before and it sucked, and I remember being anxious a lot. I take Ativan anyway for anxiety as needed (do not abuse it, don't take it often at all) and I was wondering if it's a good idea to take during withdrawals. Like I said, I'm not abusing it and I hardly take it at all, but I'd hate to take it during withdrawals and then become addicted to another medication! Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks,

Lizzy

Old 02-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: question on ativan

Hi Lizzie

I can't answer your question, but I can share a bit of my story with you if it helps. I am almost done with the world's longest taper from Oxycodone. Long story, so I will just share what I think is pertinent to your question.

I had already had a complete breakdown when I started the taper. I was basically using the oxycodone for pain and Xanax (prescibed off label) for merve damage. I used both daily. At the start of the taper, my family doctor took me down on both the oxycodone and the xanax simutaneously. I went into full withdrawal.

At the end of that first week, I saw a psychiatrist. He told me that coming off both meds at once was not the best idea because they worked on two different systems in the body. I saw my family doctor again and shared this. So we decided to do the oxycodone first and then will come the xanax.

I had to balance between the two doctors. The psychiatrist actually wanted me to up my xanax dosage during the taper. I did not want to and didn't. But I have continued to stay at the dose I reached after the first step down.

So, our circumstances are a bit different in that you do not seem to be using the tranquilizer on a regular basis. So I am not comfortable suggesting which way to go. Maybe you can run it by your doctor?

Whatever your decision, I wish you well.

Peace
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
(female)

smackliet HB User

I was given atavan for withdrwls in the hostital and then sent home with it to help the rest of the time. Also clonadine helps a great deal if you can get you doc to give you some to help get on your addiction. I aslo found benedril helpful. Anything to calm the body and stop the cramping and amodium i have seen help alot of people for many reasons besides the obvious.
I hope it works for you

Take good care.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

green dragon HB User

ativan is the lowest of the "pam" family. i was on clorazapam which is the next up tranq from ativan or lorazepam which is its true name. you can get it in tenths of a gram; 0.3, 0.7 or 1.0 fer examples. it will help with the withdrawls and speak with yer doc. first get rid of the pain meds then work on the tranqs. keep us posted.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
(male)

loopman HB User

lizzy,
I had a Dr. prescribe Ativan for me when I went ct 2 years ago. Just be careful with it. My Mom had been on it for years and when she was in the hospital for colon surgery they quit giving it to her. Her wd was worse than pain med wd. She had been on it for years.

Take care,
Loop

Closed Thread