It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Lunesta and Valium issue

Hi there,
I have been on Lunesta for a yr. and 3 months. I started out taking the 3 mg. for many months. Then I got down to the 2 mg. everynight. (that is the middle dosage...they go down to 1 mg). Well it totally works for me and no hangover or anything. I started on it due to severe neck problems and having to sometimes be on steroids, which totally gave me bad insomnia. I have subsequently had neck fusion 3 months ago and I am doing better with the neck pain. I also have had BAD upper body and trapezius spasms for the last 5 yrs. My upper body was always guarding my neck. Nothing ever helped and I tried everything. Having these spasms is normal, esp. after having a neck fusion to top it off. My surgeon's physician asst. saw me the other day and said I should take 5 mg. of Valium at bedtime for approx. 6 weeks. She told me I would not get addicted because I asked, naturally. Well, in all my paperwork it says I am on Lunesta. So for a week I was taking the 2mg of Lunesta AND the 5mg. of Valium. YES, the Valium helps the muscle spasms alot. Her theory was that if the muscles FINALLY got a rest from spasms, maybe they would finally heal. Well, yesterday I saw my osteopath for some manipulations of my hip that I messed up in a fall 6 yrs ago. (which I think caused all my neck problems). She freaked out when she heard I was on both Lunesta AND Valium. So stopped the Valium and then cut the Lunesta in half last night. Forget it......sleep was a nightmare and now I am a wreck, of course. #1, how can I ever get off the Lunesta? I have had sleep problems my whole adult life (I am 51). And #2 can I ever take the Valium at like maybe 4pm and then take the Lunesta at around 10pm? I am so freaking confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
(female)

msdeconstructed HB User
Re: Lunesta and Valium issue

SKZ,

I am not condoning any drug use nor am I a doctor; just a disclaimer before I post because I'm talking about me personally

I was on pain medication for over 2 years for VERY similar neck problems... I have had every kind of procedure short of fusion, such as countless nerve blocks, aggressive PT, a rhizotomy in a large area of my cervical spinal nerves. Also constant trap spasms and scalene flare ups. Chronic, constant pain. Degenerative disks and herniations and all that fun stuff.

Now, I've just finished a taper from Morphine and Norco 9 days ago. I am currently taking a 5mg dose of Valium (tapered down from 20mg) during the day, and I have been taking Ambien for about a year. Eventually these too, will be tapered down. There are possibilities of oversedation or worse if you are taking too many benzos (valium) or sleep aids together, but I don't think that is your biggest concern right now. You are at a low dose. Especially if you are taking the pills hours apart and not together.

I would advise talking to your doctor. I can relate to the pain you describe, and narcotics and steroids are not the answer to long term pain. But I know these medications can help- the thing is, there are supposed to be for short term use only... The longer you take them, the higher risk you run of dependence and ultimately, addiction. My guess is your osteopath was concerned about interaction and dependence. I would encourage open dialogue with your physican(s).

I don't know if I was of any help, but if you have any other questions, people on this board are great to ask...Wishing you a calm evening.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write that post. By the way I had a rhizotomy too. heh.
I decided to take the Valium on as as needed basis, rather than nightly. I am going to stay on 2 mg. of the Lunesta for now. I tried cutting it in half last night and that was not too spiffy. So now is not the time to wean off of that one.
Thank you for being so kind in your response. I know you understand. By the way, the fusion helped me alot. (C5-C7).

Old 04-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Laye HB UserLaye HB UserLaye HB User

I went off the Ambien thinking I would go through some kind of withdrawls. I didn't. The only thing that happened was I had very vivid dreams.

Closed Thread