It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

doddsgirl1 HB User
Anyone ever heard of a detox buddy?

I was thinking about starting something called a detox buddy. I was telling my husband how so many people on this site have to do it alone and need help. It would be something that recovering addicts volunteer our time in our local area to help our fellow addicts get through the rough spots. What do you think?

Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
(female)

Sunshinegirl HB User
Re: Anyone ever heard of a detox buddy?

Kind of like an AA sponsor?? I think that sounds like a wonderful idea. As a person going through detox truly alone, except for the company of my loyal pups, I know I would welcome the idea of that type of support.

Even if it's just phone conversations. I think that would mean the world and possibly the difference between clean and sober or relapse for a lot of people.

Great idea!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
(male)

tonic33 HB User

I tried to detox many times, and just about 6 months ago I was able to quit my opiate addiction with the help of subutex. My friend and I did it together. We were both heavy users for years. I have been clean, but my friend is back on the roxys. He couldn't make it, actually he didn't want it enough. You have to really want to get off the junk in your heart. I was at a point when 32mg of Dilaudid and avg 400-600mg of oxycodone was needed just to feel normal. Not even high anymore. It was disgusting. I know a lot of people who ODed and are gone. Opiate addiction is very hard to quit. Worse thing u can take is Methadone. I only know 1 girl personally who ever made it and stayed clean for a long time.

I feel so much better now. I don't know what ur detoxing from, or by what means but I used and came off about every drug except crack/base cocaine, and crystal. Would never touch that stuff. Once you start banging crystal I don't think you can come back. I never seen it personally. As far as crack, I know a few who came back, but they had to go into a serious detox facility.

Good luck with your detox. Mind control is key, because the physical pain is unbearable.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

doddsgirl1 HB User

tonic,
I do not have experience with the street drugs part but while in rehab I met people who were heavy into them and banging what ever they could and are on meth maintience. They will be the rest of their lives but off of the street drugs and using for medication purposes other then entertainment. If they stay on that track then they can and will live normal healthy lives. I'm sure if they could go without the methadone then they would but at least they are trying. Not trying to be harsh but like you said if it is in your heart then it can be done. Congrats on being clean!!! Hope and Faith will take us far. God Bless

Old 05-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
(female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Tonic - I am on my 15th day of self-detox from Vicodin and it helps to hear from people like you! My mind wants to do so much more than my body can right now. I know I just have to take it minute by minute. I'm curious about Subutex (sp). Is it similar to Suboxone in terms of having to eventually detox off of that as well? I know I'm probably looking for a magic pill to make these awful feelings go away, but I'm curious if there is anything out there that might help me the rest of the way without relapsing. (Which I considered this morning, ya know, just a half of one for some energy and to make my body feel better? But I won't, I refuse....I've come this far). I am looking into an NA meeting for some support, everyone here seems to support that.
Thank you for sharing your experience and I welcome any advice that might help me through the most difficult thing I've ever been through. Thx!!

Old 05-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
(female)

actsk8flm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbeachsun1 View Post
Tonic - I am on my 15th day of self-detox from Vicodin and it helps to hear from people like you! My mind wants to do so much more than my body can right now. I know I just have to take it minute by minute. I'm curious about Subutex (sp). Is it similar to Suboxone in terms of having to eventually detox off of that as well? I know I'm probably looking for a magic pill to make these awful feelings go away, but I'm curious if there is anything out there that might help me the rest of the way without relapsing. (Which I considered this morning, ya know, just a half of one for some energy and to make my body feel better? But I won't, I refuse....I've come this far). I am looking into an NA meeting for some support, everyone here seems to support that.
Thank you for sharing your experience and I welcome any advice that might help me through the most difficult thing I've ever been through. Thx!!
I'm looking for a detox buddy from vicodin. I have a great "bedside manner" and I listen really well. I need someone myself now though. I feel so alone and scared.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

--about SUB --please do your research before using this drug. It has helped MANY people, But i chose to just CT after a short taper and that was very quick and drug free. DONT FORGET sub is an OPIATE and many say its just as hard to get off as the hydro is if not harder if you are on it longer. The biggest thing that turned me away is the LACK of TIME for proper research. They do not know the long term effects of the sub. I know the long term effect of just quitting. A HEALTHY LONGER LIFE. My 2 Cents.

D

Last edited by moderator2; 05-24-2007 at 07:55 PM.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

coder HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by actsk8flm View Post
I'm looking for a detox buddy from vicodin. I have a great "bedside manner" and I listen really well. I need someone myself now though. I feel so alone and scared.
I would be very interested in being a "detox buddy" for you, as I have just completed in the past 2 months a CT detox from a 10-14 pill a day habit of vicodin. This forum has its limitations in how individuals can communicate and one of the strict rules is that we only use this forum as the sole means of communication. Maybe the clearest way would be to start your own topic and I can give you what insight I have under my belt on how I made it through.

Just as a quick introduction, my name is Lou and I have used prescription pain meds for the past 2 1/2 years since a failed spinal surgery. At the end, the pain management doctor was wanting to "up" me from vics and darvocet (prescribed at the same time!) to oxycontin. That's when I knew I was on a seriously downward spiraling staircase that I had to get off. Not knowing your personal situation (ie....are you being precribed vs getting the drugs through some other means), my personal saga may or may not offer you any sense of relief.

I was fortunate enough to have a very understanding job that let me take a two week leave to get myself detoxed from the vicoden. I knew I had to get off this merry go round and told the pain management doctor that enough was enough. The doctor was very understanding and came up with a regimen of slowly tapering me off the vicodens over a two month period. Those who are a bit more familiar with me know I tend to be a "want it NOW" sort of guy, and I made the mistake of not following the recommended taper, but got myself totally clean from the vics in a week. I was proud of my accomplishment, but needless to say, the doctor was not. In fact, I found myself kicked out of the pain management program for failing to follow protocol. The thing about that which bothered me the most was that so many people sign pain management contracts meaning if you slip up, then you are out. I never signed anything like this, so I felt betrayed....but enough about me. This story is a bout you. You are looking for someone to help you through a vicoden detox. First....how far into the detox are you? The first week by far is the toughest. I strongly recommend that you read the "Home Sample Remedy" thread at the top of the forum...it provides a list of herbal and vitamin supplements to help prepare your body to go through the least painful detox possible.
But let's face it....depending on how long you were taking the drug, it makes the detox last just that much tougher.,....not impossible (as I and many others can atest to)....just a bit more of a rough ride. How long have you been taking, if I may ask? As I said, I was on quite a high dose for over 2 years, so every cell in my body was saturated with the crap.
My detox was tough. There were days I cried for no reason...sometimes for hours on end. I felt like no one at home could relate to what I was enduring and that was the most difficult part for me (to have the people you love the most look at you like you have two heads wondering why on earth you are hysterical when there is nothing "wrong").

BUT....and this is a BIG BUT......I can promise you that it WILL get better. That deep bone ache which is so famous with opiate withdrawal...I found that seemed to improve radically after the first 2 -3 days. I have been fortunate enough to have a primary care physician who has prescribed me a clonidine patch. This little device has COMPLETELY elliminated what to me was the MOST DREADED symptom of opiate withdrawal: The drenching sweats that you experience at the same time you are freezing. If you CAN get a physician to prescribe a clonidine patch, I think you will find it truly is a life-saver.

Having said all that, the most insidious part of the vicodin detox is the emotional rollercoaster that your body will go through. Your mind will play any and every trick to get you to use and that includes all sorts of emotional games. You want to brace yourself for this. Usually, the emotional symptoms begin to rear their ugly head as the physical withdrawal is waning....I know...kinda a double whammy. Just be prepared for it. I had done SO much internet reading on vicodin withdrawal and thought I was as prepared as one could possibly be, and still the emotional side just tore me to pieces. Rational thinking went out the window and I went into pity mode (as has been rightfully pointed out to me by other well-meaning souls on this board).

The best suggestion I can give you (again, not knowing exactly where you are in your detox and from how much) is to prepare yourself for at least two weeks ahead....using the items recommended in the home to build up your body for the fight to come.
I hope I have offered you some suggestions that may help you and would loved to keep open our lines of communication. Feel free to respond on this thread, or create your own, which outlines YOUR own recovery.

I look forward to hearing from you again,
Lou

Old 05-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
(female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

I agree with Coder on the advice to check out the Home Detox thread at the top of this board. I wish I had found it prior to starting my CT detox. When I was able to crawl out of my house and get to the store I loaded up on lots of everything on the list. I found it to be extremely helpful. You really want to stay hydarated and nourished, even though the last thing you may want to do is to eat or drink anything. (Or lift your head off the pillow for that matter.) In addition to the items on the list I had popsicles, cranberry juice and jello on hand. One thing that seems to be very common (according to posts here) is a craving for sweets, which is why I suggest the popsicles and jello.......the hydrating factor and low in calories, if any at all. However, you do need to eat healthfully, be aware that you might have those sweet cravings as well - even if you don't normally eat a lot of sweets. (Like me). Cranberry juice is great for cleansing the system. Just a couple of suggestions.

Oh, and be aware that if you have chronic pain, it may flare up with the detox, even if you take otc pain meds (which, for me, had little effect) I kept a heating pad nearby at all times - one by my bed and one by my couch. And ice packs. I wish I had known about the Chlonidine patches cuz the cold sweats were one of the worst side effects of detox for me.

Please keep us posted on your progress and know that you are not alone. This is a positive step in the right direction for you and people here really do want to help you.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
(female)

actsk8flm HB User
Question Re: Anyone ever heard of a detox buddy?

Dear Lou,
Your answer to my inquirey was SOOOOO much appreciated. I learned so much from you about what is considered normal while detoxing. Believe it or not, I have been searching the internet for info but all I seem to come up with are ads for detox programs. A little bit about my situation:
I have gotten myself off vicoden a couple times in the past but the worst physical symptoms I ever got were my feet got really puffy for a month or 2...then that went away. I do sometimes get night sweats but I'm 45 yrs old and I figured that was just the beginning of menopause...I'm not sure. I never connected it with the amount of my vicoden use. Speaking of which, my worst use was when I was taking 3 extra strength a day, every day for almost a year. Now I'm taking 4 regular strength, twice a day (8 a day or 400 units of Tylenol a day). I'm involved in a legal battle right now because a caregiver whom I hired to take care of my 86 yr old stepfather, decided she didn't like me as a person after I corrected the way she gave my stepfather his insulin, so she hooked up via phone with my stepbrother Randy (who lives in another state and doesn't even know me) and told him I was steeling money from my stepfather....and he of course believed it. I'm a very trusting and sensative person and this whole thing floored me and hurt me very badly...and I started experiencing something which I don't know what to call except some kind of a nervous breakdown. The caregiver and Randy got Adult Protective Services involved so now we get constant visits from police officers and county investigators who treat me as if I'm guilty until proven innocent. Each time one of these people comes over, I have a sort of breakdown which consists of lots of crying and shaking uncontrollably...so, where as I used to take the vicoden for migrains, I now take it to calm down. I find myself very depressed and I try to sleep ALL THE TIME. I don't take as much vicoden as you did but I've started to creep past the liver danger level and I'm scared. I want to quit but every time I try, we have another "incident" and all my resolve goes out the window and all I want is to go to sleep. Plus I get conflicting statements from people. Some doctors say that with all the anti-anxiety drugs I'm taking too (like clonazepam, hydroxyzine and seroquel), I might just not wake up one day. But then I hear about people like like you who consistently take (or have taken) over 10 vicoden a day. I wonder if I should just wait till this court thing calms down and set myself up with that 2 week prep for detox listed ealiier in this thread. Do you have any thoughts?
Very confused,
actsk8flm

Last edited by actsk8flm; 05-25-2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Old 05-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

coder HB User

Your liver can only handle about 3000 mg of tylenol a day....I know that I far exceeded that level for months on end. Most days, I took anywhere between 6,000-8,000 mg of acetimeniphen. Do I have liver damage? I dunno. I have had some liver profile tests done which all show normal ranges. The way the pain management doctor explained it to me (before dumping me) is that the liver has amazing regenerative powers....meaning you can abuse it up to a point and it will heal. Of course everybody has different limits and I certainly am not promoting that you continue on a regimen of taking amounts of tylenol dangerous to your liver for an extended period of time while you are going through a difficult emotional time.

Which brings up another big thing to think about. You have gotten yourself in the same state of affairs that I had done. The vicoden was prescribed for legitimate neck pain, but...as time went by, I found myself taking it more and more to COPE with life's troublesome issues.....A BIG RED WARNING FLAG should be going off in your head there. You mention that you are already being prescribed benzodiazapine medications for coping with emotional trauma....are these meds not working? Maybe you should have a talk with the prescribing physician and maybe get something "tweaked" that could help you better during this difficult time without having to resort to taking an opiate for the purpose of mood altering.

I don't think the level you are at right now of vicodin will be terribly awful to come off of. You have time, where I think a taper might be the best bet for you. But I think my strongest heartfelt recommendation to you is to TRY not to use the vicoden as a crutch to get you through the day. Once you cross over into that sort of useage, then the gateway to hardcore addiction is wide-open.

I hope I have helped some...Good luck with your difficult situation and keep me posted on how you are doing,

Lou

Last edited by coder; 05-25-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Closed Thread