It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

andreanna HB User
Think my usband has a prescription drug problem HELP

I know some people probably take more ( so my husband says) but I have seen his attitude change. He is nt motivated to do anything. He says its because his life is just peachy. That makes me feel wonderful since I have depression issues ( handling them very well until know). He says he is taking sooo much becasue life has been stressful lately. Yes it has. Were broke and I have been in and out of the hospital and had to minor heart procedures too. But I have been home for the past week and he really hasn't helped me much. He cant even empty the dishwasher. No motivation at all. I take xanax for anxiety and it help y heart condition as well. I maybe take 1 every 3 days if that seriously more likely much less. MY prescription is for 60 1 mg a month He has gotten one as well for a few years now since the DR thought it would help him with stress.

I have noticed over the past year he takes too many. But I just counted and he has taken 90-100 xanax over the past 9 days and 80-90 lortabs as well. Seriously I have talked to him about this before. He has been caught slurring his words by me his mom and his moms husband . he wont admit he has a problem since he says some people take more. He also takes my scripts and we still run out before any can be filled. So seriously that is 10 or maybe more xanax a day and 8-10 lortabs. I want to add he also takes Soma but never runs out of that script although that doesnt mean he doesnt have an issue. He was started on the tabs becasue of his bum knee which he even admitted hurts more now that his xray revealed what exactly the damage is. Why cant he see it is somewhat in his head. I know his knee hurts but I dont think he takes the pain meds for his knee know what I mean. I suppose if it wasn't changing him I would not have noticed but he is different. And he basically blames me becasue he says he takes them all becasue his life is soo peachy!

HELP what can I do?

Last edited by andreanna; 06-15-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: adding stuff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
(male)

utahhoping HB User
Re: Think my usband has a prescription drug problem HELP

He's addicted alright. I"d give him an ultimatum that if he doesn't go to rehab, he's kicked out of the house.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
(female)

shay4bliss HB User
Re: Think my usband has a prescription drug problem HELP

Adreanna,

Well you have a whole lot on your hands. Of course, what I should say and really am "supposed" to say is, " Only the addict can say weather they are an addict or not." It is quite clear that there is a definate problem here. Yes you have addiction on your hands.

But the one true part of "what I should say" is yes the only way it's going to change is for your husband to determine for himself he is an addict. I can tell you from the addict's side, that things will not change unless the addict is miserable. NO two ways about it. Things have to be bad enough that using is not "worth it" anymore. Threatening won't work, yelling doesn't work, shaking him, leaving him, him leaving, etc..etc.. willl not work unless he admits he's an addict, accepts he's an addict, and is TIRED of being addicted and sobriety looks better than using. I'm sorry there's not an easy answer.

You asked what to do. TAKE CARE OF YOU. An addict's "addiction" or drug of choice will be more important than anything else to him. I know this is hard to hear. But that's why you must take care of you. It's not that he loves the drug more than you, but it's that the drug is more POWERFUL than him and anything else in his life. Substances have become a means of survival. His "air" to breath, or "food" or "water.....he now "needs" it to live. The drug itself has tricked him into thinking there is no other way. He cannot function normally, like other people, without it.

Have you heard of Al-anon? It's for the families of addicts.Now, I personally, have not had a whole lotta luck with it, although others do. You, yourself can go to AA or NA on "open" meeting nights and get alot of perspective on the addict and alot of help too being the wife of an addict. The meetings are "open" to everyone.

The only other thing I know to tell you is be supportive, BUT set bounderies and limitations. Let him know you are there for him all the way, will be by his side, go to meetings, support detox/rehab, BUT will not live like that. But YOU yourself are going to have to have help to get through this....and to be supportive in the best way to him. Also, let him know and see that YOU are going to do something about the situation for yourself and family wheather he is ready to "own" up or not. Sometimes "we" (the addict) are more influenced by that than anything. just watching someone else we love address us, accept us, and deal with us...makes us willing to do the same for ourselves. Make sense?

I hope you all the best. Keep reading the posts here too and you will definately know the mind of an addict.
Shay

Closed Thread