It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
(male)

evaness HB User
has anyone kicked opiates at Betty Ford?

I'm curious as to what their medical protocols are. If not Betty Ford, what about other high-end facilities?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: has anyone kicked opiates at Betty Ford?

why betty ford are you rich?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hey there,

A woman in my town went there and she had an alcohol and pill problem. She has 5 years clean and sober now, but I can't remember if that was the last treatment place she went to because she went to like 10 before she finally made it.

I don't really think it matters where you go to get treat ment just get it where you can get it. If your done your done. If you don't want to do it for yourself it won't work. High end low end the recovery process is the same, as far as I am concerened the solution is in the 12 steps and a higher power.
Chrissy

Old 06-23-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
(female)

shay4bliss HB User

Hi Evaness,

I have heard that Betty Ford clinic is an excellent facility. With excellent after care.

I have been in somewhat high end facilities and county facilities. I was in a medium end (I guess you would say) facility for a month once. You could have your child there with you, and I did. However my care was funded by the state insurance for addiction and mental health. Betty Ford clinic had representatives there for a week to work with children specifically. Not for their addictions...but on how THEY were to handle our addiction.

It was a wonderful program.

I, personally have the utmost respect for that clinic and have heard wonderful things about it.

Kadee touches on something though. The best care I ever recieved was in the facility I was speaking of. It was housed primarily by very poor women who were addicts. Hard core addicts.
Before entering their 30-day treatment, I detoxed at the states facilities, which is no picnic....it's basically like being in prison....detoxing.
I got more out of the low end facilities than I ever did the plush ones. Addiction is staring at you untouched in the face. Makes you think twice about relapsing!

Good luck on your search...
Shay

Old 06-23-2007, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Dear Evaness

Welcome to the board. It is good to have you here. I am sure that by now, you have come to the realization that people here are often boldly frank. It is done with love and caring, Friend.

I am sure that you can call the Betty Ford Clinic and ask them for references. may people who are able to get clean have a great desire to share the info with others. A friend on this board, buckeye Tim, iofetn speaks of a clinic in Columbus, OH. He does so because he is so greatful for the outstanding help the clinic gave him in his efforts to get clean. I have often joked, before I understood the seriousness of misuse of drugs, about going to the Betty Ford Clinic. And if I had the money, I am sure I woukld spend it on a clinic with a great reputation. That only makes sense. While I won't speak for others, I believe personally that the intent of the posters is to let you know from their personal experiences that it is npt so much the clinic that matters as it is the openess with which you embrace the programs clinic offers. And I gotta tell you... if I had a choice, I would sure rather detox at Betty Ford than a county clinic! Even knowing that either can be a successful choice if I choose it to be, and maybe the county clinic might even be better, I am going to opt for the best facility I can afford. When I had cancer, I could have been treated locally, but without as much a chance of success and would have definitely lost my leg. I chose a more prestigious facility in Boston where I felt I had a greater chance of survival and coming out with my leg intact. I would do no less if I had to have chosen a clinic for detox.

Do your research, Evaness, make some phone calls, talk to anyone you can find that you know has succesfully gone through Betty Ford. Quite frankly, I love myself so much that it makes me gutsy... I would write to a few stars who have cleaned up there... their addresses are easy to get and I have every certainty that many would answwr you because detox and recovery is a life evernt that every human wants to share with others to help. That is why this very board exists. Research a few places and then make your most educated choice.

Good wishes
reach

Old 06-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

doddsgirl1 HB User

Welcome. I went to a wonderfull rehab. The beds were hard and the bathrooms were dirty. It had cold air seeping in the windows and I had to share a bathroom with about 30 other women. I felt like I was in a shelter. Is was not cheap but the food was fresh and hot. I was not locked up. I could go outside or even leave if I wanted to. I could smoke all hours of the night. They took us out shopping and if we wanted to order food from somewhere we could. The best part of my stay was the staff. The place that I was in didn't care about what the walls look like or the apperance of the place. They put the money into the staff and the staff was top notch. They really cared about us. From the counslers to nurses and even the girls in the office. They were all so wonderfull. While I was there I met some wonderfull people from all walks of life. When it was time for me to leave I felt like I was leaving my friends. I'm only a few months clean but very happy and proud to be where I am today and I was on opitiates for a year.

Its not about where you get your help but what you do with the tools they give you. Clean and sober is a choice and a lifestyle. I believe that it doesn't matter how or where you get clean but after you are clean its up to you to stay that way. Betty Ford is just a name. Clean and sober is clean and sober.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
(female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

I agree with Doddsgirl.......I did my detox from vics at home, by myself after checking out the local "facility." I decided that being at home was the best decision for me, in part because of my dogs and also the comforts of my own home. I will say that there were times that I wished I could've been in a place where there was staff to help me and just be there for me. My 21 yo daughter lives with me and it was so hard for her to see me that way. She literally came in to see if I was still alive after work each day because she knew how depressed I was and how much I wanted to end it. But she and my other daughter, who is in the Navy, are the reason I am here and 2 months clean and sober!!!!! In fact, this experience has brought us closer.

The only thing I can say is......if you are seriously considering an inpatient facility....really check it out if you can - each place is different and one may offer you more of what you need than another. If you can afford high-end and that's what you want, I say go for it - clean and sober is clean and sober, no matter how you get there and trust me, my friend, it is worth the struggle and the pain to get to the other side!!!!!

Don't give up! Be strong!!!!

Old 06-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hey Evaness,

It really should not matter where you go. I mean if the place sounds like you would be comfortable there than why not.

I went to treatment 2 times. The first was kinda a hokey ***ey place I just went to because I needed to get a bed at the first place I could. IT served its purpose. But in all reality I was not ready and I had some reservations about living clean and sober.

The second place I went I begged to get into. I mean I wanted in. I told them if they did not let me in I would probly OD on purpose. It worked and I got In. Plus there was a nudge from my higher power that happened and it is an amazing story about a knock on my door at a very weak moment from a recovery person whom I had not seen for a while, It was his call to the place that saved me, but I will save that for another day....

I like what others said about doing some research. If you are really desperate please just in some where and then a lot of the time they can transfer you out to a more long term better facility.

The second time for me I wanted to go to a particular place and chose not to because I had friendships with to many people on the staff. I really needed a more hospital setting at that point anyway. Coming of Methamphetamines was not very easy but very short.

I hope that you find a place that you will feel comfortable and get there and start your journey soon. This is the easier softer way.....CHrissy

Old 06-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

I guess he/she doesnt want to answer ..

Old 06-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaness View Post
I'm curious as to what their medical protocols are. If not Betty Ford, what about other high-end facilities?
The famed Betty Ford Clinic, where the rich and the famous go. Where for just getting into the resedential treatment it costs $23 thousand. For a 90 day treatment it is $38 thousand. I mean if you have the proper insurance and enough cash on hand it may be worth it.

To go where Billy Joel went or others....online encyclopedia thanks. I believe they use medications to help the really bad off there. I would have no idea, it is driving distance to me, I could go to open meetings there but I have my home group. We call it the $35 thousand Big Book.

It is in Rancho Mirage, CA. That is the very rich side of Palm Springs Area. In the summer it is about 125 outside and everyone stays indoors. No one is there in the summer either. Palm Spring gets it's tourists during the winter when it is beautiful there. It is 105 degrees outside of my house right now.

[url]http://www.bettyfordcenter.org/programs/[/url]

I am the kind of addict and alcoholic when I went to a place that cost $9 a day I would complain. We had to cook, clean, work all day like slaves and having meetings in between each meal and at night time. Once a month we watched a movie, ours was Road House, which was really stupid because it takes place in some country hick bars. Working helped us make it through each new minute, plus most of us were very lazy in our drinking days.

By the time I was out of there I knew what I needed to do. I had no idea if it worked, which it did, but I knew what I really, really, really needed to do.

There you just had a speaker in Betty Ford that probably would have cost you $1,000 of your entrance fee. Just throw a quarter in the hat when it is passed.

Where is that dang hat by the ways?

Old 06-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Dan, i think you are wrong about betty ford..it is more money than that.

But what difference does it make? re-hab is re-hab, what matters most is whats inside your head. Wow, i cant believe its so hot where you live. what do you guys do indoors all summer? i cant imagine! here in ny we are outdoors all summer long. what about swimming outside? i guess its ok as long as you stay in the water..right?

Old 06-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

I agree, that was off of their website but I wonder if it left out all sorts of small added on costs. It seems like that cost is the same it has had for the last 15 years and that doesn't make a bit of sense.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules3 View Post
Dan, i think you are wrong about betty ford..it is more money than that.

But what difference does it make? re-hab is re-hab, what matters most is whats inside your head. Wow, i cant believe its so hot where you live. what do you guys do indoors all summer? i cant imagine! here in ny we are outdoors all summer long. what about swimming outside? i guess its ok as long as you stay in the water..right?
Except for a little time in August and September, we are famous for dry heat. I lived in NY city which is different than NY state and you guys would get boiled alive if it was those tempertures.

Palm Springs gets a lot of summer rain though. Even if the rest of Cali is having fire storms due to the heat, PS is getting desert storms which clean out its air almost all of August.

It used to be real cheap to buy a home out there in the PS greater area, but somehow those houses skyrocketed. It used to be the getaway home for the speed freaks of the area, but not anymore. I still would never want to live there.

Closed Thread