It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

cheeto3 HB User
Liver,Kidneys,Body odour???

Has anyone had problem with Body odor that smells like dirt or dust? I am a very clean person and shower morning and night.Could this be liver or kidney problems due to alcohol? I know I need to go to my Dr but just wanted to find out if anyone else had this same problem.I have not had any history of kidney or liver problems other than 3 years ago when I was taking pills for my back and after back surgery I was told that I had some liver problems but it didn't worry my Dr.
Please any info would be aprreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
(female)

shay4bliss HB User
Re: Liver,Kidneys,Body odour???

Hi Cheeto,

YES....I know exactly what you're talking about. I am an alcholic for about 20 years, 10 years of full blown alcoholism (whatever that means...you know). Haven't drank in a year and a half.

I have never heard of anyone else having this but me. So I wasn't crazy huh? Well, not about the smell anyway.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the liver or kidneys but....

The only time I had that smell, which I don't think other people smell 'on us', I think it's HOW we ourselves smell with our noses, was when I was drinking VERY heavily, all day, everyday. Everything smelled like dust no matter where I was.
But I can tell you that my liver was definately out of whack.

Shay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey Guys-
I've never been much of a drinker, but have known and spent time with MANY alcoholics in my life. I can tell you that they do have the odor about them that you are talking about.

This can happen simply because of the alcohol, but I also know that liver and kidney problems can also cause this odor.

Cheeto, please do go see your doctor. If there is any kind of problem, it's best to know about it sooner rather than later. (Especially since you mention you had problems before even though your doctor wasn't worried)

Take care.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i can't say anything about that odor,but you never know.what my concern here is for your liver,and possibly kidneys.you were told three years ago about a 'liver problem' but you continued to drink?did he ever better define that 'problem' for you?you really really DO need to go back to your doc and find out what was up then and most importantly,what is up now.getting a blood draw for a full hepatic panel plus all metabolic and kidney labs really does need to be done now.you just have to find out what that problem was all about and a possible progression of it if the drinking didn't stop.this just 'could' have become a much more serious problem if nothing was even followed up on by your doc and the liver was not getting a "break' from toxins into it.obtaining an ultrasound on it shuld realistically be done as well just to check out what it actually "looks' like from the inside,mostly becasue labs only give part of the total picture.the blood flow to the portal vein really does need evaluating with the doppler they use just for this purpose.you just really DO need to know what may or may not be going on inside of your own body with some very vital organs.

i have heard of kidney issues,not too certain just what,giving off certain body odors.i do think that under certain circumstances if there is some certain types of damage to certain organs that it would indeed be possible for the body to create some level of an odor due to malfunctioning body systems.just get yourself evaluated by your doc.you really do need this done.good luck and i hope things are okay,please let us know,K?Marcia

Old 07-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
(female)

smoochy39 HB User

My sister came very close to death because of cirrhosis (sp?) of the liver. Her first symptoms were that smell. Then her ankles swelled really bad. Then the smell got worse, it was less like dirt and more like death, it was such a foul odor it was difficult to even be around her. Then came the ascities (again sp?) which is a fluid build up in the body.

The liver can be a very versatile organ and can actually regenerate, as long as the damage is caught early. Cirrhosis is permant though, but again, if caught early, can be managed. Please see your doctor.

Other clues are very dark urine (try peeing in a cup for a better picture) and lightening of the stools.

Unfortunately for my sister, she got a new liver about a day before she died, had a remarkable recovery, and 3 months later started drinking again. She insists she is not an alcoholic, but the drs told us, the drinking with the myriad of meds she must take, will take her life-it's just a matter of time.

Again, please have it checked out before it's too late.

Sarah

Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

maggie0704 HB User

Hi There,
I, myself, have never had any issues with drinking, but i have a girlfriend who used to give off a weird odor at times, and she was a heavy drinker. Usually this smell would come the day after a night out of her drinking a lot.
I know what smell your talking about, and it's strange. And she's a very clean person also.....but i always attributed it to the alcohol seeping out of her pores. Occasionally, i used to go out and party...but never experienced having that smell myself. Nor from any of my other friends after they had a night out of drinking.....just her. She is now sober and in AA, but yeah, she used to omit this horrible odor the day after drinking a lot.
Maybe it was bcuz she drank so much and her body was having a hard time breaking it down...maybe due to liver damage, i don't know.
Just a little info. that might help. Take care of yourself and see your doctor if you can.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi sarah,i just had a question for you.is your sister aware that if she loses this liver,she will probably not qualify for a new one?UNOS gets a bit ugly with people who are given someones elses liver then start drinking again.they have guidelines that have to be followed.my son was given a new liver seven years ago,and i just couldn't imagine him doing to that gift what your sister continues to do.is her transplant coordinatr aware of the alcohol issue?is she doing her follow up labs every month?they would show the alcohol use in the numbers and question it.i know the mind of an alcoholic,grew up with it,but i still cannot imagine your sister going thru what she did and then starting drinking again.i feel so badly for you having to watch the self destruction go on and not be able to stop it.i guess the saddest part of this is that a family somewhere actually gave this remarkable gift of their family member to your sister and she is just trashing it.that just really sickens me as i am sure it does you.i am just wondering if you have exhausted all options with her.she knows that drinking with a transplanted liver is soo incredibly wrong.there is not supposed to be any alcohol consumption post Tx.it doesn't matter if she 'thinks' she doesn't have a problem,NO alcohol is supposed to be drank at all.if her program/docs are not aware of whats going on,they should be told.there are just certain things that are not allowable post Tx,you are somewhat beholden to abide by them no matter what.somebody else was denied this new chance at life becasue she was lucky enough to get it,that just makes me sad.i think of my son who was in the very same condition your sister was,status one and barely hangin on.the thought of someone like her getting that new liver and doing what she is to it and someone as sick as my son was not getting one,well....she just needs one hell of a huge wake up call.maybe she should be taken up for a visit to all the people currently in the ICU at the local hospital that does transplants so she can 'remeber' where she was and how flippin lucky she is to even still be here,ya know?i really am so sorry sarah.marcia

Old 07-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
(female)

cheeto3 HB User
Help!

I went to the Dr and had tests for my Liver,Kidney's and Thyroid and they all came back fine.I have not been drinking for 7 days and have been on a Liver & Colon cleanse for that long too.I always eat healthy and drink lots of water.i shower in the morning and night now since this has started for a month or so.
I still have that musty sweet smell and it gets on my clothes and then smells worse.It also can remind me of a wet dog smell sometimes.I go home and take off my clothes and make sure to wash them before wearing them again.
This is so hard to go to work and be around people as I do not want to offend them or embarrass myself.I am single and there is no hope of meeting someone with this offensive problem.
Help,what is wrong with me?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

maggie0704 HB User

Hey Cheeto:
I'm sorry that u have to be going thru this....especially since you've made attempts to figure this out and haven't been able to.
Did the dr. you saw for those tests recommend any furthur testing to help explain it? Or any ideas on what it could possibly be?
I would suggest that you (if u haven't already) look up the symptom online. Type in "bad body odor" and i'm sure that a lot of sites will pop up. I know it sucks when we're experiencing a symptom that the drs. can not place.
Keep trying though.......
And don't worry about what others "may think" at work or elsewhere! Your doing everything in your power to feel comfortable and get rid of the odor so they're opinion doesn't matter. Sometimes sharing it with a few people helps to feel more comfortable bcuz then atleast they know that your doing everything in your power to figure it out. I know that theres nothing wrong with your liver,kidney....but maybe it IS the alcohol. And it needs a bit more time to get out of your system completely...even though there is no damage done to those organs, it could be just that your body chemicals have changed and it started to seep out the pores...
My girlfriend used to have the same issue, now she is sober, but she didn't have issues with organs and still smelled odd. So keep your chin up and give it a few more days...i'm sure it will clear up.
AND CONGRATULATIONS FOR STOPPING DRINKING!!!!! THAT IS SO AWESOME! IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR DOING EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO GET HEALTHY AND YOU WILL BE BLESSED IN TIME!!!!!
Oh, you also have to remember that your taking a colon cleanser, so your system is working overtime to rid your body of toxins. That odor could be still going on bcuz your forcing out all the toxins that have built up in your system. So that could very well be why your still experiencing it even after being sober for a week. Just think of it this way, your purifying your system and this odor is a good thing....it means that your ridding yourself of those icky things.
Good Luck! And you'll find someone when it is right. What your going thru right now (in detoxing) is preparing you to be healthy for your next relationship...body and mind!

Closed Thread