It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

mikesgirl HB User
Trying to Reduce Meds for Pain

Hi all,

I certainly don't take many meds compared to many on this board, but I am hoping you all can help.

I take either a 10/500 hyrocodone or about 75-100mg of tramadol for sacroiliac pain a few times a week. I was taking them every day, and felt like I was becoming addicted to them and taking them at times for the wrong reasons. It really has been a struggle for me to reduce them.

Is it possible to get myself to a point where I take them ONLY when I REALLY need them? Or should I just try to quit? I really do have pain, and the severity and duration changes on a daily to weekly basis. I don't really want to give up the meds, but I am having such a hard time right now making the RIGHT decisions. In all honestly I probably really only need them about 1-2 times weekly.

I am crying as I write this because I feel like a horrible person. I hardly take any meds at all compared to many of you, but I feel like I am so weak that I can't take control of this. I made the decision in early May to reduce my meds. At that time I was taking the pain meds and/or sleeping pills every night to get to sleep. I did stop the sleeping pills, though I know those aren't really "addictive" the way the pain meds are. I just feel like I should be doing so much better by now. I have had a lot of stress in my life lately, and I think it really does make it harder to try to take the meds only when needed than to just stop them altogether. I want to do this, and for the most part I think I have only taken them when I need them-but the longer I have pain and have to take them, the harder it is not to take them when the pain is better. I hope that made sense!

I have been able to stop taking sleep meds and xanax. For several months I took daily sleep meds (mostly ambien) and xanax 0.25 once a day for a couple of months. I do take them on occasion but don't abuse them. I am seeing a therapist to help as well.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks all!

The Following User Says Thank You to mikesgirl For This Useful Post:
Ohfisil (09-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kandr73 HB User
Re: Trying to Reduce Meds for Pain

If you do truly need them for pain then continue, but be very careful. Pain meds are ok to take when you take them as proscibed and for leg reasons. But plez realize that they are very very addictive. So plez be careful. Tyr other things for pain first, such as tylonal, advil, aleve, or other non addictive meds.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
(male)

DavidParker HB User
Re: Trying to Reduce Meds for Pain

I have been taking Tramadol for about 6-7 months for a torn disk in my back. I really do need the pain meds but like you I take them wether I hurt or not. I have pain daily but sometimes I wonder if I could just endure the pain without tramadol. It gives me energy and takes the pain to a manageable level. I think as long as I have back problems I will be taking tramadol it really does help. I have heard of some serious withdrawal symtoms from it and that scares me. I have a prescription for some hydrocodone I haven't filled yet for the day I decide to quit tramadol. I've heard that if you take hydrocodone for a few days it really helps with the withdrawal symtoms of tramadol. I don't like hydrocodone I like tramadol much better. Anyway, I don't know if this helps but it's what I am going through right now.

Closed Thread