It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #1
(female)

Sunshinegirl HB User
Non narcotic prescription pain meds

Does anyone know of any good prescription non-narcotic pain meds? Ibuprofen and Tylenol are not cutting it for me. Thx!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Re: Non narcotic prescription pain meds

Hey Southbeach...

I was in a little car accident the other day and they prescribed an anti-inflammatory called Mobic. It is a one time a day pill and it does not make my stomach upset like Nproxin or Ibuprofen does.

What kind of pain are you having? I live with pain every day and at some point I had to decide what a tollerable level was for me.

I have some permanent nerve damage so I will always have some pain and uncomfortableness. It was hard, but I just have to have acceptance of the way things are at this time in my life. That helps to. I don't always have the acceptance but I try to work on it everyday.

I hope that you find something that works for you that is non narcotic...Good Luck...Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 05:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

depending on just what 'type' of pain you are dealing with would really dictate what would work best to try and treat it.just where is your pain being generated from?what is triggering it?is this going to be a short term treatment or long term?just need to know what your dealing with here.Marcia

Old 07-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
(female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Back and neck pain from 3 accidents. Do you experience any side effects from the Mobic? That's one of my concerns because I have such a sensitive system, I can't tolerate many meds.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
(female)

Clerklady HB User

South,

I have buldging disc in my neck and the Dr. perscribed Ultram or the generic
tramadol. I works pretty good but I can only take 25mgs, the pills I have are 50 mgs, but I get a huge pain in the bridge of my nose if I take a whole pill. I like you have adverse effects from meds, have tried many but this one seems to work with little or no side effects. I also have major trouble sleeping and take a 2mg valium at night for spams, it works to some point but I usually can't sleep very well. Hope this helps. My dr. once told me it was not a scheduled med, like it is not on the list of people buying in on the streets.

Good Luck to ya, Denise

Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hey Southbeach,

I think that the Mobic works pretty good for me right now. I have a sensitive little system myself. My colon and stomach are very sensitive and I have even been in the hospital for my colon.

Anyway the Moic does not make me feel anything. It is a one time a day thing. I think it may not work as great at the end of the day or it could just be that by the end of the day my neck is tired of holding up my head.

I think that it helps somewhat for the sore muscels in my arm as well. I am still trying to strengthen my left arm. After 3 years of no use and 4 surgeries on the same wrist and elbow (left arm) it has serious atrophy so the muscels get inflamed from strengthening.
The ER and then the follow up with my regular doc put me on the Mobic and Flexaril a muscle relaxer. They say the muscle relaxer is not narcotic. I certainly hope so because I am not willing to go through what I just went through with all the other stuff I was on. Just because you don't abuse the meds does not absolve you from going through a full on detox.

As far as my arm goes all the Docs signed me off there cases this week so workers comp will end and the only thing I will be dealing with is the neck stuff from my car accident.
I hope that his information has helped and you can find some relief soon.
Chrissy

Old 07-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
(female)

bdean HB User

Hi there,
Sorry to hear about your pain issues,Though I know exactly what you are dealing with..And it can be tricky to find an otc pain reliever that can actually help in a chronic pain situation..I know there are alot of us addicts out there that came to our addictions through chronic pain situations..I know I did...Myself I chose methadone for my recovery which has been a wonderful tool for me..Though contrary to popular belief just because the effects of the methadone for withdrawals and cravings work for 24hrs doesnt mean the analgesic affects do..In truth they only last approx 4-6hrs after dosing.So truth be told a person on MMT gets little relief for chronic pain atleast until the point they get takehomes and can split dose if they so choose..
Anyways my point is that when the analgesic affects wear off I am still left with the problems that cause the chronic pain in the first place.Which I am sure alot of you can relate to..I have always had good effects with an OTC called Percogesic...I mean yes it sounds like a narcotic but its not..Its an USA brand otc that works wonders on pain...I live by the stuff for joint and muscle pain...Though for toothache pain good old fashioned ibuprofen works great for me there...Anyways I know they carry it at walmart and Freds Dollar stores..I would give it a try..I mean what can it hurt?It might even help..Oh and you dont need an Rx for it either so thats a plus...
I have heard great things about the Mobic as an anti-inflammatory but its not an OTC and requires a doctors prescription for it..If you have a doctor that would be willing to Rx it and insurance that will cover it then go for it..Maybe you could even talk your doctor into giving you some samples of it before you purchase an entire script just in case you have an adverse reactions to it you wont have wasted your money....I wish you lots of luck hun and hope you find something to help ease some of your pain...I KNOW how it is to hurt...Take Care of your self....

**~*~**HuGz**~*~**
Bdean

Chrissy,
Flexeril isnt a narcotic so you dont have to worry about it in that sense and from my experience with it there is no "feel good" properties that would make you wanna take more and more like you would a narcotic so you should be okay with that..The ONLY thing I ever got from flexeril other than some spasm relief is sleep,lol....I hope you feel better soon also hun...
Take Care....
**~*~**HuGz**~*~**

Old 07-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

anything that can 'alter' our state of mind,even the flexeril,could possibly cause problems for us down the road.i can distinctly remeber actually taking cold medication way way long ago when i did not have my DOC to take,just to 'feel' something different other than just plain old me,ya know what i mean?there is always room for problems once you are addicted to anything.i have had to take flex in the past and it too made me very sleepy but it also did 'alter' too.

i am assuming the pain from three car accidents would include radiculopathy along with an arthritic type of pain?trigger point pain can also be an issue too,i know it is with me from my c spine mess.trigger point injections can do wonders for those.i also wear lidocaine patches when one particular one will get out of hand up there.lido works pretty well.it is an Rx med tho.they also make a lido cream for those areas where i cannot wear the patches,like into the base of my skull hairline?

anti inflammatories would really be helpful with the type of pain you are most likely having.the stomach issues can be a problem for some tho.there is a med called cytotec?you just take one pill along with any NSAID that you are also taking,it supposedly prevents ulcers from forming.but this stuff was the only thing that enabled me to be able to actually stay on a long term anti inflammatory med.no stomach issues at all with this stuff.just a thought.aleeve is also a good one that you only have to dose twice a day.its a good 'background' type med.alot of the anti siezure type meds or the tricyclic anti depressant meds can offer some level of relief as well if the pain you are dealing with actually has some neuropathic type of component.

have you actually had an MRI done on the C and upper T spine areas?if so,what did it state as your biggest issues?seeing a pain doc could help.they can just offer you so many other options to control pain that you just cannot obtain thru any other type of doc or clinic.just a thought there for ya.different types of PT can also help too.i am in the process of setting up an appt with a therepist that i was referred to by my PM clinic.the type of therepy is called craniosacral therepy?don't know too much about this yet but it is a form of osteotherepy.i am willing to try just about anything at this point for my neck and upper back hell that keeps on churning away up there.

a good PM clinic would really be of benefit to you.they offer so many options without the use of any meds or different meds other than or including narcotic therepys.it all depends on your particular situation.they just offer many options.alot of the things i have tried i had never actually even heard of til i started the actual therepy or med thru my PM clinic.just a thought for you.

is surgery an option for your problems at all?have you actually consulted with a good neurosurgeon at all if there are structural issues going on?just wondering.i do hope you can find something that really works for your types of pain issues.it just involves alot of trial and error to actually get there.please keep us posted on how things are going.marcia

Old 07-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #9
(female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

My PM's solution was to give me lots of pain pills which is why I'm in this horrible situation. He wanted to do injections, but my insurance wanted a $1000 copay, which I didn't have, so I was stuck. I take Ibuprophen and Excedriv Back and Body......sometimes I see a little relief and other times I have to break out the ice pack, heating pad or topical rub. A good soak in the tub helps when I can, but I found no relief from Epsom Salts as some people have. Soooooo, I guess when I go to see my dr next week I will ask him about some of the meds mentioned here and hope that I can get some non-narcotic relief.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

would you have the option of just seeing a different PM and tell them that you do NOT want any narcotics?just a thought for ya.or even going back to the previous one and telling him the same thing?injections can be spendy,i am really sorry that your ins co is being stupid.they can be really helpful with certain types of pain.if the PM knows your situation up front and the deal with the ins co,he/she could still work around it,ya know?just what IS your actual main pain generator?what does it state on your MRI as the problem areas and how severe are the issues?what does the majority of your pain "feel' like to you?just trying to get a much clearer understanding of just what it is you are dealing with.car accidents can just trigger sooo many different types of problems/pain processes,but i am sure you already know that.Marcia

Old 07-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #11
(female)

joanharvest HB User

Just remember, Ultram (tramedol) is addicting, no matter what the doctor says. Many, many people on this board have had a terrible time with it. The withdrawals are awful. Go back and read some of the posts about it. I would think twice before trying it. I have severe back pain. I can only stand for a couple of minutes at a time. I take 1600 MGS of Ibuprofen a day. I take 20 mgs of prednisone which I want to get off of. It has too many side effects but it helps my knees so much. I was on 6 percocets a day but but I am weening myself off them without any problem. They don't help anyway. My son is an opiate addict and I am too afraid of percs to stay on them, though I have never abused them. But I would have to take lots more for them to work and I don't want to. I might look into Modic and percogesic. I'll try anything that isn't addicting. I have an addiction with food so I know I could easily get addicted to drugs.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
(female)

barbwest HB User

I am right in the middle of withdrawls from tramadol, and it is the worst....be careful if you take this stuff....

Closed Thread