It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
(male)

loopman HB User
Reach-Help Me

Reach,

Could you explain your tapering plan that you did. I have been trying to taper myself the last 3 days and it is not going well at all. I buy all mine off the street and I was using heavily until this past Monday. The last couple of weeks they were very plentiful. The more I have the more I use. I was probably using 20-30 10's a day, I only weigh 150lbs. My birthday is tomorrow and I want it to be a good day. I went ct 2 years ago and then last Sept. a tornado took my house and this past Jan. one of my good friends shot himself. I thought it was my only way to cope.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Reach-Help Me

Hello Loop

The house, the friend... Loop, what tremendously sad and upsetting events for you. Either event by itself is enough to drive anyone to desperate measures to find a way to cope to escape the torment of the feelings events like this cause us. Do not berate the need to cope in some way at all... it is no small matter at all. We just need to discover safer, healthier ways to cope with tragedy that is often surrounding us. As we taper, this is how we must spend the time tapering allows us to change the thinking process we have let get ingrained by popping a pill when life becomes unbearable. Use the tapering time wisely, Friend.

I chose a very, very long and controlled taper. The beginning of my taper, experience now tells me, was done incorrectly, so I am going to revise it as I explain it to you, okay?

Start at the dose that seems most appropriate for you. Because your doses seem to have been erratic, it is hard to suggest a starting point. I am going to guesstimate that 10-12 might be a starting point for you. Once a start is mde, don't screw around. A solid rule for us must be that once a drop is made, we NEVER go back up. So make sure the starting point is one that you can reaslistically live with and accomplish. Do not be so gung-ho that an immediate drop is made to like 2-3 or failure will just be set up for success.

After the initial drop, stay put for 10 days or so. Until you feel steady again. At various points along the way, the days we wait to feel steady can vary. The drop we made can not. I started at 8 tabs a day (from maybe 10-12 at the peak before I was clobbered by the need to get off the oxycodone). My doese were spread out over four times a day. I dropped by one whole pill the first few drops and started moving the first morning dose closer to the second dose little by little. held out in discomfort more and more... first 15 minutes, then an hour , then an hour and 15 minutes.. like that. Again, once I committed to moving the staring time, I would not allow myself to change it to earlier again.

When my dose got down to four tabs a day.. and it took quite a while to get there... I started making the cuts only a 1/2 tab. I was at three doses a day by this time and made the first 1/2 tab cut to the middle dose. When I finally got to one tab at noon and one tab at 10PM, I started making the cuts by 1/4 tabs. When I was able to get to one dose only at night, I made the cuts by 1/8th a tab. The end needs to be really, really slow or the withdrawla symptoms become so intense that there is just too much craving not to start upping the dose.

I feel like I am throwing an awful lot at you in one post, so I will stop for now and let you digest this. Please know I will be around on and off as always. Spit out anything that might cross your mind and I will share my experience with you as it applies.

Loop, let's do it this time. Dig deep into your hert and soul and feel, really feel the need that exists for you to claim control of your life again and your share of the joy in life.

Rooting for you
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
(male)

loopman HB User

Reach,

Thanks for responding so quickly.{I knew I could count on you} My problem will be at times they are plentiful and then at times they are not. I think by reading your previous posts, you did your taper through your Dr. Maybe it's time I seen a Dr. My Father and I own a grocery store. He is retired now and there is know way he can find out about this, but that's another story. I do have my wife's support this time which I didn't before. She called a Sub Dr. for me yesterday, but I personally have been against this method. It almost seems like my only way out. I am not strong enough and can take time away from rebuilding the house and away from the store to go cold turkey now. I am having strong convictions to quit now. Four years ago, I had the strength to complete a marathon, and now I don't have the strength or will power to beat this. I truely appreciate your advise.

Take Care,
Loop

Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Loop, my man

My advice to you is given with all hope that I can be some part, any part, of your finding a restored life. Sharing my personal experience and knowledge is the best way I know to help others find the joy once again that I have. I am honored by your appreciativeness.

Glad you brought up the doctor. Saves me the embarrassment of going off on a long dissertation about it. Chuckles. also a major thumbs up that Wife knows about this and is ready to support the effort. TWO thumbs up to her! Dealing with us in withdrawal IS a major pain andcan be trying many times. So, a short dissertation on this aspect... love your wife for loving you so thoruoghly. Thank her with sincerity as time passes, but don't make her nutz by thanking her every two minutes. THIS is something I learned from hubby. Also, do the majority of your whining here. Let Wife know how you are doing, whine but a little to her. Another piece of advice from experience with Hubby. No matter HOW close we are to our spouses, they do not want our struugle to completely take over their own lives. If they do, they would lose the ability to help us. Probably all obvious advice, but you KNOW how I love to write. ( hey, just an aside... I have submitted three story proposals to a major publication. Life is swinging around in an exciting way for me, Loop.... anticipate the same for you!).

Maybe it's time I seen a Dr.

Loop, that thinking cap of yours is fitting better and better. So, with a nudge, follow through on that thinking and dial the phone now.... NOW, loop. before you start having second thoughts, okay?

I am off to an interview for a job... hope to come back later and read that the call has been made and the appointment made.

NEVER underestimate the pushiness of old broads
Chuckles
reach

Last edited by reachout; 07-19-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:22 AM   #5
(male)

loopman HB User

Reach,

I don't have a lot of time this morning. I wanted to let you know, I have a Dr. appointment at 9 A.M. this morning. Again, thanks so much for your advice and wisdom. GOOD LUCK with the interview.

Loop

Old 07-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Loop-de-Loop!

Hot dog! If I could do it, I would turn a somersault right now!

Loop, you are doing it! You are honestly and truly doing it!
Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the Muuuussssic...... la de da la de da

Wish I had arisen from that cozy bed earlier to wish you well before you left for the doctor! Doesn't matter, though, because you know how well I am wishing you anyway, yes? Chuckles.

Loop, I don't know what doc will advise. I am not going to be shocked if he talks to you about suboxone or a short hospitalization. If it does turn out to be a taper, don't be shocked if he insists Wife holds the meds. necessary precaution and I think if he knows you as we do, as you know yourself, drugs in your hand are almost synontmous with drugs in the mouth. A little finger wag and gentle smile.

Hoping you get back here soon and share the visit with us.

EXCITING DAY IN THE LIFE OF LOOPMAN and COMPANY!!!!!

From the Peanut Gallery Waving A Banner
reach

Old 07-20-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
(female)

Navy_Sub_Mom HB User

Reach, I had posted a while ago on this board, looking for some advice on benzo withdrawal headaches.

I am still doing my taper, I just cut 1/8 mg Wednesday, and already yesterday night I started feeling the very bad headache, nausea, muscle pain, stomach trouble, that I get.

I am so glad to read your advice to Loop today, I just want you to know that both Loops' messages to you, and your messages back, was exactly what I needed to read today. I haven't read the board much lately, just checked in quickly on my lunch at work to see if there were any topics I might get help from.

I am down to 1.625 mg Klonopin, from all kinds of abuse, up near 4 mgs a day some days, some days 3 mgs, some days 6, I was all over the place, some days I took my prescribed 2 mgs per day, 2.5 mgs, it was ridiculous.

I "had" to lie to my psych. dr. and told him I was taking pretty much due to anxiety 2.5 mg per day (my prescribed was 2 mg per day), so he told me to start at 2.25 mg and cut every 2-4 weeks, as long as I needed, actually, because he knows my history with very difficult withdrawal, and very LONG withdrawal, from SSRI's and an antipsychotic. So I think I was cutting way too much of a big drop in the beginning, which caught up with me. I was at 1.625 mg about a month ago, and I WISH I HAD NOT GONE BACK UP to 1.75 mg due to severe sickness, I just wish I had stuck it out. It was a weekend, I would have been able to do nothing and just lay around the house, it started ** 8 days after ** I did the cut from 1.75 mg to 1.625 mg, but I went back up, and it has taken me another month to get back here.

I am DETERMINED to not go up no matter what. I do have a very good job, have only 1.5 sick days left for this year, so I do have to come to work every day, but I am doing my best here, and my boss is out alot at conferences, etc. during the summer, so some days I just leave early, and make up my time on the weekends, mid-morning is my best time for my job, which requires lots of reading and editing and brain work and website work, which is after I take my am dose.

ANYWAY, my whole point of this nonsense is I really needed to read your post to NOT go back up, no matter what. If I am sick this weekend, so be it. I can lay around my house all weekend with my dog. My son is a Sonar Technician on a Submarine in the Navy, he does not live with me any more, I live along with my wonderful miniature daschund "Kramer", who I have had for 10 years, and he does not care if I am sick, as long as he gets his walks and treats!! I have a boyfriend in recovery who does understand what I am going through, but, as you said, I cannot continue to burden him this weekend with how bad I feel (if I do, I am already projecting that I will!! as I do not feel very good right now, already today, lunchtime). I also needed to read what you told Loop about how to deal with his wife, same with my boyfriend.

I wish I did not write these very long messages, I can type really fast, and just get carried away, and I do not re-read, I figure what ever comes out, is meant to come out.

SO, Reach, a BIG THANK YOU today from another grateful recovering addict who you have helped today.

Sincerely,

Navy Sub Mom

Old 07-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
(female)

walkersma HB User

Loopman,

I read this thread before I even looked at the rest of the board, and I am so happy for you. I'm glad that you went to the doctor, and I'm very glad that you've connected so well with "reach", and happy that you are going to reclaim a clean lifestyle. I'm on your side too!! I was so sorry to read about everything that has happened to you since you were my hero for getting clean before. Things happen, and they happen to anybody and everybody, there is no shame in them happening to you. You just pick yourself up as soon as you are able and get out from under them, and that is what you are in the process of doing right now. Let us know asap what the doc says. I won't be back on till Monday, but I'll be wondering!

Walkersma/robin

Closed Thread