It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
(male)

3wilds HB User
Need to quit methadone, anyone been here?

I've been dealing with chronic pain for years but now since I've been in physical therapy my only pain seems to be from withdrawls so I want my life back. I say this because I'm so depressed, have a hard time eating, can't get myself to shower or do anything except lay around since I sold my business in June. I've cut down from 30 to 25mgs a day of methadone and use 20-30mgs of hydro per day. But since I cut down I'm withdrawing everyday and my emotional status won't let me cut down any further and meth clinics that use the taper method will only prolong the hell for 6-8 weeks min. and I know I couldn't take that. The only way that seems not cruel and hellish is the buprenorphine detox for 4-5 days followed by suboxone for 3 weeks. Everyone here says suboxone is a godsend but I don't think they're trying to get off it yet. I've heard its like trading one evil for its kid brother but I think that from what I've heard that getting off of suboxone is easier than getting off of methadone. I don't have any support system, no good friends or family to really help me so I'm doing what I can to make the decision to go into detox. The clinic doc says his only concern is if I can handle my pain without any meds when its over and I'm worried about that also but I want my life back so bad. I want to know what its like to feel normal again. Alcohol abuse use to make me get things done and feel good for a little while but that doesn't work any more so I plan on a inpatient service after detox to abstain from alcohol and my depressing home life. I'm looking for any kind of advice anyone can give me exspecially if you used methadone in the past. Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
(male)

jimo1120 HB User
Re: Need to quit methadone, anyone been here?

Three months ago I started suboxone. (Was taking 70 mgs of hydrocodone a day, or if I had it a 80 mg of oxycotton and maybe 20 mgs of hydro). Doctor prescribed 8 mgs of suboxone, but I heard you could get hooked on it, so I started myself on 4 mgs. Worked great until later that night, went in to some withdrawls, but not like it would have been without the sub. Anyways, cut down everytime I felt great all day and night for a few days, I would cut down another quarter mg or so. It's been three months to the day today, and I'm down to less than a half mg. I pretty sure within a week or so, I'll be done. Take my advise, get on the sub, but make sure you don't get a doctor to prescribe you 32 mgs, like one of the letters I read on hear. My doctor say's, no more than 8 mgs.
Good luck, Jo1120

Last edited by jimo1120; 09-06-2007 at 10:48 PM.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:19 PM   #3
(female)

bdean HB User

Hi hun,
I would also reccomend the suboxone...You are already at a low enough dose of methadone to make the switch and its NOT 4 or 5 days of withdrawals they reccomend 24-48hrs between your last dose of methadone and your first dose of the suboxone..Also if you could find a doctor that would begin the transfer with subutex instead of suboxone most methadone patients find that alot easier..Other methadone patients have more success transferring to a shorter acting opiate for a week or so then a 24hr wait to go to the suboxone without problems..For example your doctor could start you on no methadone but taking oxycontin 20-30mg twice a day for say 10days..That should be long enough for the majority if not all of the methadone to be out of your system yet you still be comfortable enough in your detox...After that you should be able to do a suboxone detox in 4-6 weeks considering it seems yours is more of a dependance problem instead of an actual addiction problem..In other words your body is used to having it so you go in withdrawals without it but from what you have said you arent "abusing" the meds by double dosing,taking it more often or doctor shopping(addictive behaviours)..Anyways you can always do a websearch of the subs online and read up on it..Knowledge is power when it comes to stuff like this..BTW any clinic that tells you that they can comfortably detox you off of 40mg or so a day of methdone in 4-6weeks is not telling you the truth..Most people take upwards of 6months+ to come off of 40mg of methadone with little or NO symptoms..

I wish you LOTS of luck..You will be in my thoughts and prayers..
keep us updated and remember just because its quicker doesnt mean its better especially when it comes to methadone detox...No need to rush and be sick if it can be avoided..

Bdean

Old 09-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
(female)

jlynn1 HB User

Just wanted to let you know what is going on with me. This is my first post, first time on these boards, and hopefully I won't be banned for anything I say.
At any rate, this is the 2nd time in over a year in quitting Methadone. The first time was last Easter. I just stopped; was tired of being a slave to something I knew I didn't need. Yeah, it was and is good for pain, but after years of addiction I wanted to be free. I wanted my life back. After mega weight loss (no appetite) sleepless nights, aches and pains, it felt as if I was rotting away from the inside out. Seriously! After about 45 days I actually was hungry and felt I was on my way to recovery. I still had leg aches; you could see the muscles in my legs twitch. All of my senses were coming back full tilt boogie. To get some relief for my legs I asked my mom for a Vicodin and it helped. After all, it wasn't Methadone so it was easily justified. When she ran out (I didn't abuse them by the way - at that point) I went to the Dr.; told him what I had done - quit Methadone cold turkey - and he gladly wrote a prescription for Vicodin. By now I was NOT taking them as prescribed by the doc, but how I wanted to take them. Ok, I'm getting to the point. It was too soon to refill so I asked a friend if he had any, he said he did. Rather than giving me Vicodin, he gave me a handful of Methadone. It was a mistake on his part as well. He told me someone gave them to him and he hadn't touched them. I believe him to this day. Anyway, I immediately took 2 not even looking at the pills. What I ended up taking was 20 mgs of Methadone. I freaked. After all I had been through getting off I had accidentally taken Methadone. A week went by and I thought, I got through that ok, one won't hurt me "and you know the rest of the story". What an idiot!! So here I am again, this time, on a six month taper. I have to work so I can't just stop. Plus I think that I need that slow taper. I'll go through all the same stuff again, but if there is anyone at all going through what I am, please let me know. I need support. We all need support if we are trying to stop or quit an addiction. It truly is bigger than we are. The ONLY person who knows about this is my daughter. I tell her everything, but she has recently married and has her own life with her husband. Methadone is a good drug, a good pain drug and a great big gorilla on my back. If there is anyone that can be supportive or wants support themselves, let's do this.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
(female)

jlynn1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wilds View Post
I've been dealing with chronic pain for years but now since I've been in physical therapy my only pain seems to be from withdrawls so I want my life back. I say this because I'm so depressed, have a hard time eating, can't get myself to shower or do anything except lay around since I sold my business in June. I've cut down from 30 to 25mgs a day of methadone and use 20-30mgs of hydro per day. But since I cut down I'm withdrawing everyday and my emotional status won't let me cut down any further and meth clinics that use the taper method will only prolong the hell for 6-8 weeks min. and I know I couldn't take that. The only way that seems not cruel and hellish is the buprenorphine detox for 4-5 days followed by suboxone for 3 weeks. Everyone here says suboxone is a godsend but I don't think they're trying to get off it yet. I've heard its like trading one evil for its kid brother but I think that from what I've heard that getting off of suboxone is easier than getting off of methadone. I don't have any support system, no good friends or family to really help me so I'm doing what I can to make the decision to go into detox. The clinic doc says his only concern is if I can handle my pain without any meds when its over and I'm worried about that also but I want my life back so bad. I want to know what its like to feel normal again. Alcohol abuse use to make me get things done and feel good for a little while but that doesn't work any more so I plan on a inpatient service after detox to abstain from alcohol and my depressing home life. I'm looking for any kind of advice anyone can give me exspecially if you used methadone in the past. Thanks...
I do feel for you. I haven't used suboxone (sp?), but my thinking is that we didn't get here overnight, that nothing worth having comes easy, that without the pain there is no gain. We have to go through what is necessary for us to NEVER go back again. We will get through this; the depression, the weight loss, weakness and all the other "fun stuff" we've got to look forward to. Will it be worth it? Will getting off be worth having our life back? Laughing again? Crying tears of joy rather than tears of pain and shame? You betcha. You are worth it!! It'll be worth every agonizing minute, but we need each other. I can't stress that enough. We truly NEED each other. Like I said in my first post, "it's (addiction) bigger than we are".

The Following User Says Thank You to jlynn1 For This Useful Post:
Homie2011 (02-08-2011)
Closed Thread