It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
(male)

mustangtone2003 HB User
tramadol addiction can someone help?

Hello, I am writing because I wanted to know if there is anybody out there that may have been or is presently going through tramadol addiction.About 2 years ago I was prescribed tramadol for lower back pain and elbow arthritis, at first all I noticed was just relief from the pain I was experiencing something not even vicodin 500mg was doing, but then one day I decided to take 2 50 mg pills instead of 1, due to the pain I was experiencing that day and all of a sudden I had this wonderful euphoric feeling all over which I had never experienced before. I also suffer from depression which I had been prescribed 2 different meds in the past which were prozac and wellbutrin which were no help. I thought I finally found something good which helped for everything I need help for, since then I still suffer from back and elbow pain I have had 5 injections in may back with little relief from the pain. I have yet to let my doc know this has helped me with the depression, because I dont want him to stop prescribing this to me, but he is concerned about the length I have been on tramadol because he says using this longterm it could shutdown my kidneys since i am up to 8 pills a day and sometimes more but he dosent know that ,I have built up a good tolerance so my doc also has prescribed my another med to take with the tramadol it is called kadien 20mg he says it should limit the amount of tram. I should need but I still feel the need to take about 8 pills a day or I feel depressed. I am truly feeling addicted at this point. Can anyone give me advice or suggestions thru experience. Thanks and God bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mudbone HB User
Re: tramadol addiction can someone help?

Welcome to the board! Just so you are aware of it, Kadien is a time released form of morphine, so be carefull with that also if you are concerned about addiction. But also there is a difference between addiction and dependance. Many people with pain get dependant on medication they use for refief. Its when they start abusing it- taking more than prescribed ect, thats what is addiction. 2 totally different things. Its ok to be dependant so long as you are not abusing. Good luck.

Last edited by mudbone; 08-13-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to welcome

Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Mustang,
Welcome to the pain board. First of all, liking a med because it is working well for you is not abusing it, I have been on tramadol for 12 years, and take 6-8 pills a day, and have not had any bad side effects from it. If your prescription says to take 1-2 pills every 4 hours as needed, you arent abusing your meds.

The reason it also works for depression is that it has something in it similar to prozac, If you do need to go off the ultram (tramadol) it might help to simply have your doctor raise your dose on your prozac.

If you do feel strongly that this is in fact an addiction, it is important to let your doctor know, believe me, they would rather hear it from you than find out another way, and he can help you make decisions on how you want to proceed. There is also an addiction board on this site, that may help you as well.

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing, whatever you decide.
Your Friend, Fabby

Old 08-14-2007, 03:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

You may find many people over at the addiction board going through what you are,but welcome!!!! My belief is tramadol[ultram] lortab vicodin are good pain meds,but for short term use[6-12 wks] if you need to be on pain meds. longer,than you have chronic pain,which should be treated accordingly,maybe long acting meds,along with theropy etc. Even though tramadol is NOT a controlled substance,many people believe you can't become dependant,or worse,addicted.Myself,I think they should re-evulate this pain med. If you are concerned,you should talk with your doc. the best thing is having an honest relationship with your doc. Nip it at the bud,before it grows into a tree!

Old 08-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

The fact that you feel the tramadol has had a possitive effect on your depression is something that you should share with your doctor, not hide. It is not uncommon to have additional side effects with medications, not just bad things are side effects.

Tramadol does have addictive properties and the prescribing information is very clear on that. It also states that it is only intended for short term use because of the possibility of addiction. There are times when a long term prescription is the best option available. You said that you sometimes take more than the 8 per day, this also needs to be shared with your doctor. You don't want to hide things from him, his concern is with your health and well being. That includes if you are having problems with anything he is prescribing for you. I know you would talk to him if you were having an allergic reaction, think of this as a possible reaction of sorts. Good Luck to you.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
(female)

GracefulOne HB User

I wanted to post quickly to you and let you know you need to talk with your Ultram prescriber right away. Ultram increases the amount of serotonin in the brain and it also has serotonin reuptake inhibiting properties very similar to Prozac and other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

ULTRAM AND SSRI'S (Prozac, Lexapro, Paxil, etc) have a HUGE CONTRAINDICATION and can cause a reaction called Serotonin Syndrome which is basically a drug induced manic episode. Although it is a very rare drug interaction, this happened to me and it landed me 'manic' for lack of a better word for a very long time even after stopping the drug with NO history of bipolar disorder (nor any recurrence since this drug interaction).

Ultram is a great medication and has a wonderful capacity to help with pain (I was prescribed it because of intolerance to Vicodin after a surgery), however, many doctors do not realize how significant a reaction can be if and when it occurs.

Hopefully your situation is not at all related to this, however, please be aware of it and please discuss it with your physician.

L5/S1 Hemilaminectomy (9/06)
L4/L5 Hemilaminectomy (11/06)
L4/5 L5/S1 Posterior Interbody Lumbar Fusion with Instrumentation (1/07)

Last edited by GracefulOne; 08-14-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
(male)

mustangtone2003 HB User

hi, Fabby appreciate your reply to my post just wanted to ask you if you know the risk of liver or kidney damage from taking tram long term my Dr is scaring me with this but the tram is the only thing that has been effective for the pain

Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtone2003 View Post
hi, Fabby appreciate your reply to my post just wanted to ask you if you know the risk of liver or kidney damage from taking tram long term my Dr is scaring me with this but the tram is the only thing that has been effective for the pain

Hi mustang,

I have my liver levels checked every 3 months, I havent had any problems, but it does bear watching. I am also on prozac, so they have to watch my seratonin levels, and the hydros which contain tylenol, but I only take 3 of those a day, well under the suggested maximum.

As long as your doctor keeps on top of monitoring you, I dont see a problem, as I said, I have taken it every day for well over a decade with no serious problems. You must be very very careful never to exceed recommended dosage with tramadol, well with any med really, but tramadol is unique and its not for everyone.

HTH, Fabby

Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

kate26444 HB User

Like Fabby, I've been taking Tramadol for at least five years or more for my fibromyalgia aches and pains. I take two 5mg, three times a day and it has been a miracle drug for me. I have gone periods where I ran out of ultram or didn't feel as achy where I didn't take ultram and never had a problem. At first, I felt a little dizzy and lightheaded but that went away. My doctor checks my liver enzymes every three months and they have been fine. I've never heard about the kidney thing. I took vicodin (a lot of vidodin) for a long time---four years for a bad back. I had fusion surgery (three years ago) and it worked! I had to quit vicodin cold turkey. My neurologist just didn't refill the prescription and put me on an anti-inflammatory instead. I went through WD terrible. If I had know what I know now, it would never had happened. I know what WD feels like. It was the hardest physical thing I ever went through and never want to do it again. I agree with everyone else. It is vitally important that you are honest with your doctor...and he should be with you. My doctor would show me documentation that tramadol affects the kidneys if I questioned him. Good luck, and God bless. Kate

Old 08-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
(male)

Buddyi HB User

I have been taking the Ultram er 24 hour but want to slowly get off it. Do i start by taking it every other day and keep increasing the hours that i dont take it? Ive been taking it on and off for about a year, and the only thing ive experienced in withdrawal is insomnia and at the same time a restless leg syndrome. But during the day it didnt seem to bother me that i wasnt on anything so maybe im lucky. Ive read other stories where people get off it themselves. ANy ideas?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Its difficult to taper from a long acting med, If I were you, I would switch to the regular tramadol (BTW, If you dont have insurance, regular tramadol is avalible on the Walmart $4 generic plan)

That way you can drop a dose every week until you get to one, then just stop. You can have seizures if you go off tramadol too quickly, so I wouldnt try to do anything BUT taper to get off of them.

Good luck, Fabby

Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #12
(female)

MerelyMe HB User

I have been taking Tramadol for pain for over 5 years, with no problems, there have been times, like once when I went on vacation and forgot my meds, when I didn't have them and have had no adverse effects except for the usual back pain, which I take them for.

My Dr originally had me on ULTRACET, which is Tramadol and acetaminophen, but switched me to tramadol/ultram because I was concerned about the amount of Tylenol I took daily.
As far as I know Tramadol has no Tylenol in it

The Following User Says Thank You to MerelyMe For This Useful Post:
~Carolyn~ (05-09-2011)
Closed Thread