It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #1
(male)

Roadphantom13 HB User
Nyquil

Hello. I just had a question about nyquil. I've heard that it can be very addicting and that the withdrawls from it are somewhat severe. Does anyone have any idea if there really are withdrawls from months of taking nyquil?

Old 08-22-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Nyquil

Hi Phantom

I understand that Nyquil addiction... I was using Nyquil for a long time along with opiates and benzos. I withdrew from everything so I am not sure which withdrawal symptoms came from what. I do know that stopping the Nyquil did result in making it hard to fall asleep. (That was one of the first things to go). Not being able to fall asleep without whatever we have accustomed our bodies to having can cause problems.

My brother-in-law became addicted to an over-the-counter nasal spray for sinus issues. I know some people laugh at this, but it was a serious problem for him. His wife called the family doctor finally and simply told the receptionist he needed an appointment because he had become addicted to nasal spray. There was no surprise at all and the receptionist made the appointment. I am not sure what the doctor did to help him off of it as my brother-in-law is very closed-lipped when it comes to this issue. But I know that after three weeks, he was no longer using it. Please just call a doctor and make an appointment. tell him your concerns... that you have been using Nyquil for a few months and want to stop.

Good wishes
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hi phantom,

My best friend was addicted to Nyquil and Gravol (anti-nauseant which makes you very sleepy) for a couple years. It got to the point where she's take one or the other just to get to sleep at night. She would take it one night, then suffer the next (with only a couple hrs sleep) then take it again the following night.

You build up a tolerance to medications that make you sleepy. So if you took it for a few days, it wouldn't work. She finally went to her doctor and he gave her a proper precription of sleeping pills (which won't kill your liver!!!) to take when she absolutely needed them.

She suffers from high anxiety and doesn't sleep well to begin with.

Although it may seem trivial, Nyquil is addictive. Very addictive. I hope this info helped :-)

Good luck,
Kate

Old 09-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
(female)

Kattie43 HB User

I had a girlfriend who was very addicted to Nyquil. She couldn't go to sleep unless she drank half a bottle. Unfortunetly I lost track of her when I moved so I don't know how her "addiction" ended up.

Last edited by Kattie43; 09-01-2007 at 10:42 PM.

Closed Thread