It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

crazykitn HB User
Anyone ever get addicted to Benadryl?

Hi Im Stacey and Im a 3yr recoved drug addict. My drugs of choose were crack, coceine, lsd, and benadryl. I was addicted to benadryl so bad that I was taking 70 a day. Thankgod thats the past. It took my collapsing in front of my kids and C.P.S. getting involved for me to stop. Its sad. My daughter at the time was 4 and was scared I was going to die. And now I cant work with children. Which my dream was to be a nurse working with babies. Believe it or not I have gotten vicaden after surgery and did really well. I used exactly what I was suppose to. Sometimes its hard cause I have to keep childrens benadryl in my house. Its temping but I keep saying I will lose my kids. Well thanks for listening.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: Anyone ever get addicted to Benadryl?

wow, crazy, you will lose your kids..be careful. buy a different antihistamine to keep in the house for the kids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi

I understand the Benydryl thing... well, I understand it because I would use that or Nyquil at times to sleep, not for allergies, but simply to knock me out. I got really upset when a psychiatrist working with me as I was getting off opiates and benzos suggested I start taking benydryl every night. Actually, I got furious. Chuckles. Another poster here kind of berated me because I said it was a very addictive over-the-counter med. He pretty much wrote that I was so misinformed, blah, blah, blah. All I know is that for me, it was as dangerous as using the Xanax or oxycodone to knock myself out at night. Self-medicating with indifference, you know? Yeah, I am sure you do. Smiles.

Good for you that you have been able to get clean and stay clean. A heavy price has been paid for your mistakes and that can be hard to accept. It seems you have and that is admirable, also. Perhaps yoou can not ever be a nurse to babies, but I can see a huge work for you in educating young people and adults cioncening drugs use. Even if it is not ever a paying poisition, I am sure God has a purpose for you in sharing your experiences for the good of others.

God Bless
reach

Old 08-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
(female)

Vampy_Chick HB User

hi reachout
my name is holly and i'm a recovered/ing addict, i've being clean for a good 5 years. i am a mother and a wife and never want to go back to how chaotic life was before recovery. i take each day as 'brand new' and look forward to a happy future now and that is my gift of sobriety and staying clean.

it's hard sometimes, when you feel the urge, that's when you must look deep within yourself for strength. it's there. sometimes you must almost brainwash yourself with affirmations and such, but it helps and when things get tough it's great to have them there to refer too. if that fails, take a look at your babies....they are far too precious for one to **** up.
take care, keep coming back
~thinking of you~
Holly :: Vampy_Chick
xxx

Old 08-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

reach you know you are right about the doc..my son was abusing benzos and opiates and is almost 6mths clean now..he has a terrible time sleeping, its sad. anyway his doc knows of his history yet has prescibed visterol which is an antihistamine.. he takes 1 a night... now, i know a true addict will abuse anything. maybe the doc is thinking its the lesser of 2 evils..i dont know and cant question it..he is 21 yrs old..

Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey all

Yes, lack of sleep can be the impetus to use something, anything to get rest otr go back on drugs again. Bummer.... sleep continues to be a problem for me. My doctor wants me to use Tylenol PM and see if that helps. When I get exhausted enough, I take it but it scares me to death. I know how easily I could come to rely on it. I try to let a few days go by until I am so exhausted that my body falls asleep. It is weird, for the last couple of days here, I m so tired that I fall asleep naturally in the afternioon and and have slept 3 hours both times. I am working hard to help sleep patterns get back to normal. It is really hard. I accept it as a result of withdrawl and a price I pay for misusing my meds.... oh, I don't accept it kindly, but I do accept it. I know it may well be a year before all is straightened out and in sync again. Long road, but I am going to keep on plodding along.

reach

Old 08-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
(female)

crazykitn HB User

Thankyou for replying. How long are you recovered? I didnt use benadryl to sleep, but to get high. Im bi-polar so Im on meds for that and seraquel helps you sleep. Its better then ambien, but you cant abuse it. It gets easier not to use at least for me as long as I dont know anyone who does.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
(female)

crazykitn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules3 View Post
reach you know you are right about the doc..my son was abusing benzos and opiates and is almost 6mths clean now..he has a terrible time sleeping, its sad. anyway his doc knows of his history yet has prescibed visterol which is an antihistamine.. he takes 1 a night... now, i know a true addict will abuse anything. maybe the doc is thinking its the lesser of 2 evils..i dont know and cant question it..he is 21 yrs old..
It took me a long time after coming off drugs to sleep. But like I said to reach Im on seraquel which helps you sleep.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
(female)

crazykitn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampy_Chick View Post

hi reachout
my name is holly and i'm a recovered/ing addict, i've being clean for a good 5 years. i am a mother and a wife and never want to go back to how chaotic life was before recovery. i take each day as 'brand new' and look forward to a happy future now and that is my gift of sobriety and staying clean.

it's hard sometimes, when you feel the urge, that's when you must look deep within yourself for strength. it's there. sometimes you must almost brainwash yourself with affirmations and such, but it helps and when things get tough it's great to have them there to refer too. if that fails, take a look at your babies....they are far too precious for one to **** up.
take care, keep coming back
~thinking of you~
Holly :: Vampy_Chick
xxx
Congrads on 5 yrs. I do at my children when I get weak. Thanks

Old 08-24-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

These stories are all so inspiring!

Listen, it is my personal belief that if you have an addicting personality, than anything can be your drug of choice. Just because something is sold over the counter does not mean it cannot be abused.

I know a gal who was dealing with an eating disorder and she told me she actually took over 100 laxatives a day......I mean who would think about abusing those, but see, people can "abuse" anything. It is all about what they want from it and if it supplies the need than yes, you are addicted to it.

One thing that concerns me about some of the posts I have read, when you are detoxing from any benzo you are supposed to steer clear of any type of antihistamine. Antihistamines can increase the likely hood of seizure from detoxing off any benzo.

Please, be careful and ask a well versed pharmacist or dr for guidelines about this.

I am a long time xanax uses for panic disorder and I was told to remember to always notify a dr before using any type of allergy medication if I had not had a xanax in a few days.

Just be careful.

Blessings to all,
Karen

Closed Thread