It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Just wanted to get an idea about painkillers and recovery

Hi all! I'm in recovery 23 years alcohol and just stopped smoking almost 4 months ago. I had my gall bladder out on Monday and today is Wednesday. I've only taken the Vicodin that they gave me 2 tablets 3x in the past two days for the severe pain. Does anyone think that this is ok or showing addictive behavior? I take it with food and am on my regular meds at bedtime--Celexa and a low dose of Risperdal. I don't feel buzzed--it just takes care of the post-op pain. If anyone thinks I'm in trouble, PLEASE let me know and I will let my psych know. I feel better letting the board know what I'm doing as well as my therapist and psych also. Thanks so much--Hopeto--

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: Just wanted to get an idea about painkillers and recovery

listen thats painful ...you seem to be ok..cant you have someone dole them out to you as needed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Jules! My husband and son live with me, and to be honest with you, after taking two of these 5/500 at a time it is MORE than enough medication in my system. My husband absolutely could give them to me, but he has this "trust" thing built up I guess because when it comes to medications(we've been together for 24 years), he knows how I've been under and not under the influence. I tell him every move I make with meds and when we're done with meds, we throw the bottles out--never leave them around. I have been concerned how I would be because after years in recovery, I always had my cigs and caffeinated beverages to "help" ease the withdrawals and adjustments after even stopping other meds through the years. I gave up caffeine 6 years ago and nicotine almost 4 months ago and this is pretty scary territory to not have addictive things anymore--like really reliving your life again. I don't feel like I'm going to relapse, but I am scared about this new territory. I don't want to be like a Pollyanna and say it will never happen again, because anything is possible. Gratefully, I am in treatment for depression and this helps immensely all around & can pick up the phone and say I'm in crisis if I need to. I appreciate the support of my sistern & bretheren in recovery and welcome any suggestions you all might have. Thanks so much--Hopeto

Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

you really just sound scard..but youa re doing ok..you see a therapist..call if needed..maybe an n.a meeting.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
(male)

mariogreymist HB User

I (6 years from my last drink) think of these things in terms of spiritual well-being and intent. As long as our spiritual houses are in order, our intent as to pain meds is bound to be okay. Taking medication, as directed for pain, without severe negative side effects is perfectly okay. As soon as we find ourselves taking the meds for anything but the right reasons is when to get scared.

Recently I suffered from severe back pain, and spent several weeks taking as many as 6 percocet 5-325s per day. As the pain has decreased in the past week, I have stopped taking any Rx meds, aside from one vocodin 5-500 as needed - one in the past two days. I credit the ability to take these meds to spiritual health. I simply don't lie to anyone, most of all myself. As a result, I can't take a pill without honestly thinking to myself, "Aspirin is not enough." Until a few months ago, I had not taken so much as a cold pill since 2001 - and I expect within a week, I'll flush my last few pain pills and be done with them for however many years it is until I suffer another serious injury.

When I would feel scared would be when cravings for alcohol or pills started. As long as you are taking the meds for the right reasons and being honest to everyone - especially yourself, I'd say you're doing fine.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Jules & Mario! You have both put my anxieties to rest today. Yes, I am very nervous about chemicals and I think God was good to me in one respect--when you have fibromyalgia also, it makes you very sensitive to meds, so that's why even a 1/2 a pill is plenty for me at times. Mario, you have put this the best way possible in that if you've mentally cleaned house and have peace with yourself and have been honest, everything will fall into place. It took me years to get to a very good--progress, not perfection--place and I don't want to blow that. They say you only need to get sober once and this is very true for me. Once I admitted I needed help, it was as if all of a sudden a whole new world of freedom opened up and received so much help, especially about the depression aspect, as I self-medicated in a day when psychiatric treatment was limited. Thank you both so much for your kindness and making a "nervous twitch" feel better! God bless and take care--Hopeto--

Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

I had talked to my family doctor about what I would do if the ocassion came up where I had to have more surgery or something. He said, "You will simply handle it responsibly." I believe that is what would happen in the event.... when I had deep scaleling cleaning done on my teeth a few weeks back, I was edgy about pain from it. And I never needed anything more than aspirin in the end. However, if I had, Hubby would have doled out the meds and I would have put all safeguards in place. When I told every medical person about the drug issue, I knew then that all would be on guard with me if anything ever came up. My family doctor also told me in front of my husband that one thing he would like is a courtesy call from any doctor who ever has to prescibe a pain med to me. That is fine by me! I readily agreed. I would rather have someone knock me out cold than to ever, ever go through the whole ordeal again.

Work with the doctors, stay totally upfront always and I believe all will be fine.

Say... FYI... before I had that special cleaning, I was in pain big time. I rubbed Oil of Clove all around my teeth and gums... it numbs then as much as Novacaine! Lasts a few hours, too.

With a pearly white smile
reach

Last edited by reachout; 08-23-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Closed Thread