It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Anyone have more trouble stopping non-addictive stuff than addictive stuff?

Hi all! I was just wondering if anyone who's in recovery from either drugs or alcohol find that stopping some of the non-addictive stuff is more of a pain to stop than the alcohol, pills or other stuff. I"ve found that with some meds that I've taken through the years for depression, anxiety, hives, etc. that the stopping/withdrawal was harder at times or more drawn out than alcohol, caffeine, or cigarettes. As far as benzo dependence(same 3 mg. for 7 years), Klonopin to me was by far the absolute worst, but some of the psych meds(antidepressants and anti-psychotics) are awful. I know my metabolism changed through the years, but some of these things are a nuisance. If anyone has had a similar experience, drop a line. Thanks so much--Hopeto--

Old 09-05-2007, 04:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Anyone have more trouble stopping non-addictive stuff than addictive stuff?

Hello Hopeto

It is so normal for it to be hard, very hard, to withdraw from the meds you have written about! Antidepressants and anti-pschotics work on brain chemistry and nervous system and make huge changes to it. Withdrawal from them , just as from opiates and benzos, is a long, drawn out process. The brain needs time to re-adjust to not having them and time to start again producing what we have been feeding it and produce the chemicals needed itself.

Even the meds for hives... taking it regularly is definitely going to cause withdrawals when stopping because these meds also work on the nervous system. Like Benedryl.... it has a calming effect on the nervous system. It is meant to to help control the sensation of itching. That is why so many use it in withdrawal from opiates and benzos. It has a calming effect. Makes us sleepy often when used. Things like Bendryl and Nyquil can be just as addicting as an opiate. They need to be used with as much caution as any prescribed med. Some supplements can be the same, also.

If I sound like some wannabe doctor here, I assure you I am not. What I am is experienced. Chuckles. I self-medicated with Nyquil right along with the oxycodone and Xanax. Had to withdraw from the Nyquil as well.

reach

Last edited by reachout; 09-05-2007 at 04:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

my son was addicted to benzos and opiods and has huge sleeping issues..he wont be prescribed those anymore..he takes trazadone and sometimes visteral to sleep.they are both non-narcotic.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

hopetofeelwell,

Listen, about 4 years ago I had to come off of Celexa ( anti-d) and it was H***!! I had taken it for about 3 years and it was awful to come off of. I cut down so slow, there was no slower way to even come off of it and yet is was awful.

I had these "brain zaps" if you will................I would feel this electric shock in my brain and I also had this awful sensation that when I would turn my head it felt as if my head would turn and then my brain would turn a few seconds later. It is very hard to describe, but it was horrible. I swore I would never, ever take another anti-d because I would not live through that wd again. I was on xanax at the time and my psych offered to up my dose to help me but I refused because I was terrified to add anything to this mess.

I have heard that Celexa is one of the scariest drugs to wd from because of the horrible psychological feelings it causes. I had feelings of being too tall to walk through our doorways in our house............I also felt like I was always walking uphill............then there was this zapping sound I heard in my head several times a day. Very scary, so yes, you are 100% right that these can be just as hard to come off of.

In fact, after the Celexa wd, I was not afraid of doing a cold turkey wd of hydro. That is how bad the Celexa thing was........

what anti-d are you coming off of if you don't mind me asking.

Love and prayers to you

Last edited by Administrator; 09-07-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi ! The recent anti-depressant I was taking, and thank G-d it wasn't for very long was Celexa and what a pain in the neck even for only a couple of weeks! I thought I was gonna jump out of my skin while taking this thing, and then even with a gradual reduction the depression is the pits. Right now I'm taking Risperdal 0.5 mg 2x a day, Nasonex, and Zyrtec. Believe me, if I didn't have to take them right now, I wouldn't. I have been getting the hives for so long and they keep pointing to my digestive tract as the reason. Granted, with fibromyalgia I'm sensitive to meds anyway and I can only tolerate a med for no longer than maybe 3 weeks--but, wait! does that mean I'm bipolar because everything runs in 3's? I have severe anxiety dating back to when I was a kid and it's a familial thing, too, but I have to say some of these meds are HORRIBLE!! Sometimes the treatment is worse than the disease. I absolutely hate the side effects from some of these meds and I have to say when I stopped smoking over 4 months ago cold turkey the withdrawal from that didn't feel as bad as some of these "good" meds have made me feel. Is there nothing that a recovering alcoholic, fibromyalgic, allergic, and sensitive person can take safely with minimal side effects? If any of you folks can think of anything, let me know. As they say in AA, progress, not perfection and I'd like to get to the next step so I can continue my life. Thanks so much--Hopeto--

Last edited by Administrator; 09-07-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Hope

I read your last post and something triggered in my head about a doctor who wrote this book cured herself of many of the ame complaints you have! The title of the book is
I Was Poisoned By My Body: The Odyssey of a Doctor Who Reversed Fibromyalgia, Leaky Gut Syndrome, and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - Naturally!

It is by Gloria Something.... long title, huh? hahaha! That really is the title, though. Leaky gut... I came across this a while back doing some reserch about some of my own medical issues. I was pretty wowed by all I discovered about leaky gut. It can cbe the basis of all kinds of ailments we suffer. It seems about 100 years ago, there was a great deal of research and all into this very common condition. It was actually known that is it the precursor to Celtic Disease. It was quite often a diagnosis years ago. Then, for some reason, it kind of disappeared from routine checks by doctors as an ailment. It is now under much study again and is believed to be the root of so many medical issues. Oh, way too much to discuss throughly in a post, but I recommend doing some research on leaky gut AND each of your ailments. I think the book may have a great deal of value also. I have yet to read it (lots of reading to catch up on!), but I have researched the whole leaky gut thing extensively.

Check it out... perhaps herein lies the answer to many of your issues.
reach

Old 09-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

hope,

Hey, I will tell ya, I was on Celexa for 4 years, I thought I was gonna have to be put into a drug induced coma while trying to come off that crap! Oh geez.

I am just like you............I have a horrible time with meds. I have hashimoto's disease and have had a thyroidectomy, but I have a ton of autoimmune issues.

I have tried and failed at most anti-depressants because of the horrible side effects and if there is one listed, I am going to have it! I even get the ones that like less than 1% of the population have.

The one that worked for me was Trazadone ( Deseryl the brand name). It is wonderful for depression and the only side effect it has for me and really it's biggest one period is sedation. It is great though because you take it at bedtime and get a great night's sleep and it really has no hang over effect either.

It is an old drug and my psych says most dr's just don't pull it out anymore but it is a gem for those of us who don't tolerate the ssri's or the others that are so popular now.

Can you ask for it as a trial or have you tried it? I only took ( I am off it right now) 50 mgs at bedtime and it really was a great med. I makes you thirsty and sleepy, that's it and it took care of depression great. The thing is............you gotta get your stuff in order before you take it...........after you swallow it, you get about 30 minutes and then you are OUT! There is no fighting it either, it knocks you out cold. You gotta warn your spouse if they want some cuddle time, I would shout to my hubby ( honey, I need to take my meds before it gets to late, you want me to wait!!!?) hahahahaha

Anyhoo, perhaps you can give it a try. I told another gal about it in a support group I am in, she had tried every anti-d made with no help and the Trazadone was her answer. Same thing, it is very old and her dr never used it anymore.

It is cheap too, with my insurance the copay is only $3.

Best wishes!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-07-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachout View Post
Hi Hope

I read your last post and something triggered in my head about a doctor who wrote this book cured herself of many of the ame complaints you have! The title of the book is
I Was Poisoned By My Body: The Odyssey of a Doctor Who Reversed Fibromyalgia, Leaky Gut Syndrome, and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - Naturally!

It is by Gloria Something.... long title, huh? hahaha! That really is the title, though. Leaky gut... I came across this a while back doing some reserch about some of my own medical issues. I was pretty wowed by all I discovered about leaky gut. It can cbe the basis of all kinds of ailments we suffer. It seems about 100 years ago, there was a great deal of research and all into this very common condition. It was actually known that is it the precursor to Celtic Disease. It was quite often a diagnosis years ago. Then, for some reason, it kind of disappeared from routine checks by doctors as an ailment. It is now under much study again and is believed to be the root of so many medical issues. Oh, way too much to discuss throughly in a post, but I recommend doing some research on leaky gut AND each of your ailments. I think the book may have a great deal of value also. I have yet to read it (lots of reading to catch up on!), but I have researched the whole leaky gut thing extensively.

Check it out... perhaps herein lies the answer to many of your issues.
reach
Hi Reach! Do you mean hemochromatosis-- as in the "Celtic Disease", or do you mean Celiac disease? My hemoglobin and hematocrit have always been very strong and I have an Irish heritage on both sides of the family. My husband's liver enzymes are elevated(Scottish and Scot-Irish) and I wondered about him having it. It's funny that you should mention this--ironic. Unfortunately, if I wanted to go holistic, it would cost $150 per visit--insurance doesn't cover it and I've mentioned this to another gp and they just about laughed in my face. Wonderful world we live in, huh? Take care--Hopeto--

Old 09-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Hope

Yep, I mean Celiac, not Celtic! Sorry about that mistake. I think my 28 year old daughter might have Celiac... and that leaky gut seems to be the precursor from what I have read. She actually cut out wheat for a while and her skin cleared and her stomach issues lightened up a lot. She said it was difficult getting wheat-free products and out of her reach often budget wise on a long term basis. However, she is a holistic type yopung lady and has been doing a lot of research on Celiac's. She just laughs at me when I talk about leaky gut.. I swear she thinks I make this stuf up.. chuckles. However, diet changes can make a huge difference and whether she wants to stick to terms she feels comfortable with or look into it starting from leaky gut, progress is being made and she is feeling better.

I am sorry the doctor laughed about it... if he had the time to put into research, he would find that leaky gut is coming "back into vogue"... kind of like "The three R's" in education... everytime things get really bad, educators get back to tried and true protocols. Obviously, the doctor who wrote this book wrote from the heart after getting back to an old time basic to help resolve the symptoms of her many issues. I think modern medicine is just great as long as we don't forget to remember basics. Even in our country, a lot of the folk medicine practices are the basis of many of the newqer wonder drugs.

Wish you well with your isues and Hubby's.
reach

Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
(male)

bshea HB User

HEY, i am currently on TRAZODONE, and am on the same MG, 50 MG.. sometimes i actually may only take half of a pill, 25mg, and it puts me to sleep... but, the trazodone for me doesnt really work much for depression.... this medication is a SLEEP AID at low dosages... it only works as a anti-depressant at VERY HIGH DOES.. like 150 mg OR MORE!! the side effect that really bothers me is in the morning i am very tired and i feel half out of it, its like im a zombie. and its very hard just to wake up in the morning. like when i wake up, my head feels really weird and im like in a CONFUSED STATE OF MIND..., and i look like im MESSED UP, my dad actually thought i was on something, but it was just the medication... but it does work great for sleeping and ANXIETY DISORDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrillin View Post
hope,

Hey, I will tell ya, I was on Celexa for 4 years, I thought I was gonna have to be put into a drug induced coma while trying to come off that crap! Oh geez.

I am just like you............I have a horrible time with meds. I have hashimoto's disease and have had a thyroidectomy, but I have a ton of autoimmune issues.

I have tried and failed at most anti-depressants because of the horrible side effects and if there is one listed, I am going to have it! I even get the ones that like less than 1% of the population have.

The one that worked for me was Trazadone ( Deseryl the brand name). It is wonderful for depression and the only side effect it has for me and really it's biggest one period is sedation. It is great though because you take it at bedtime and get a great night's sleep and it really has no hang over effect either.

It is an old drug and my psych says most dr's just don't pull it out anymore but it is a gem for those of us who don't tolerate the ssri's or the others that are so popular now.

Can you ask for it as a trial or have you tried it? I only took ( I am off it right now) 50 mgs at bedtime and it really was a great med. I makes you thirsty and sleepy, that's it and it took care of depression great. The thing is............you gotta get your stuff in order before you take it...........after you swallow it, you get about 30 minutes and then you are OUT! There is no fighting it either, it knocks you out cold. You gotta warn your spouse if they want some cuddle time, I would shout to my hubby ( honey, I need to take my meds before it gets to late, you want me to wait!!!?) hahahahaha

Anyhoo, perhaps you can give it a try. I told another gal about it in a support group I am in, she had tried every anti-d made with no help and the Trazadone was her answer. Same thing, it is very old and her dr never used it anymore.

It is cheap too, with my insurance the copay is only $3.

Best wishes!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

YEP, my son takes the same dose of trazadone for sleep...and to be honest with you, we used to think he was back on something. but hes tested negative for drugs..he sufferes from sleeping problems and anxiety and it helps him too..

Closed Thread