It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

imtrying2 HB User
alcoholism

Hello all,

I've been reading thru the threads and this seems to be a great community for drug/alcohol addicts.

Right now, i can use all the support i can get. although it seems that addiction is everywhere, across all economic and social groups, it also seems that help for recovery is harder to find.

i'm an alcoholic desperate to quit. i want to try chantix as i've heard it helps curb alcohol cravings as well as nicotine cravings.

but the main thing is just getting my life back. the resounding theme from all of the veterans on this board seems to be that happiness WILL return. i know this is true because i quit drinking for 5 years during the 90s and i could not believe how many happy days i started having and how much easier my life got. it was as if God said, "OK, now that you're helping yourself, i'll lighten the load".

But i fell off that wagon 4 long miserable years ago and it's just been a hellish descent to every wrong thing in my life.

memory, body, lungs, attitude, finances, relationships - all affected adversely.

i do not want to die and be remembered by my children only for my addiction.

so, i'm starting today. i printed the sample detox plan (which is excellent, by the way).

i have some obstacles, but i'm betting if i find a meeting and can visit here now and then, i just may get there.

thanks so much for all your honesty and support. you don't know how much this helps!!

God bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
(female)

tryinghardmom HB User
Re: alcoholism

Yep, it definitely does cut through all lines.....I joked on another thread that if I was on Oprah it'd be the 'Soccer Moms on Pain Pills' show. (Although I've never put myself in that category, others might.) Even though my DOC is hydrocodone, I can relate to all of the things you're dealing with....the result is the same, isn't it? A very pathetic feeling. :-)

Keep posting and we can help each other...hang in there!

Old 09-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Imtrying-
Oh this really touches me to the core of my heart. Why? There are two very good reasons.

First, I lost my grandfather to a senseless accident where he was driving drunk. He had been sober for many years, and then started drinking again and lost control of his truck just a tenth of a mile away from his home. He actually passed out behind the wheel and ran up an embankment and the truck rolled. He did't have his seatbelt on and had his window open, so when the truck rolled, he fell half out of the truck and it landed on him. This is the side of alcohol addiction that took a life with no happy ending.

Second- my husband was an alcoholic for years. Now, when my husband drank he never once got mean, abusive or nasty with our children, me or anyone else for that matter. His drinking didn't even interfere with his ability to go to work. He has always had a great work ethic. BUT- he was drinking every night and to excess. He wouldn't and couldn't go for one day without consuming alcohol. It was growing and he was drinking more and more.

I had talked with him about his drinking many times, but things didn't change. Well, one day my husband walked in from work and our son, who was only 4 years old at the time looked up at him and said, "Daddy, after you drink some beer will you play with me?" My heart burst with agony because of this. Our son, not even old enough to be in school equated daddy coming home with drinking??!!!!

That night, I did the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. After the kids were in bed, I sat down with my husband and issued him an ultimatum. I told him he had to stop drinking or he would lose his kids and me- period. I made it clear that just reducing the amount he drank wouldn't cut it. He had to stop 100%- for good.

We did separate for a few weeks, but he realized during that time that I had meant every word I said. He stopped drinking cold turkey and we got back together. Neither he nor I have ever looked back.

It was rough on my husband during the first several weeks of not drinking, but I promised to stand by him and we worked through it together. It can be done.

Now, many years later my husband is still sober and is so much happier. Our kids are teenagers now, and we have a great family connection. This is the story of alcohol addiction with a happy ending for everyone involved.

I've seen both ends of the alcohol addiction spectrum, and it sounds like you know you can be happier without the booze too. Please, don't give up. You fight for the life of happiness and fullfillment that you deserve. You can do this because you are worth the effort.

Find support wherever you can because it will only serve to help you during this fight. Take care, and know I'm sending thoughts for strength, determination, comfort and healing your way.

Last edited by ozzybug; 09-25-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
(female)

shay4bliss HB User

Hey I'mtrying...

Been a member for some time. However, haven't posted in quite some time. But you have definately compelled me to tonight.

Can't go into my entire story right now, and really don't think I need to because you're living it.

The important thing is, that it has been a very long time since I've seen someone with a level head, such as you have exhibited here. Girl, I don't know how much clean time you have, but I don't even have to ask, you have shown you have foundation in this and I can see that you are reaching for that light and it's blurry, but reachable.

I am very touched by your post. And I too needed to hear that.

I can see very clearly, you are a VERY smart person.
If I can do anything, please ask.
Shay

Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
(female)

Sugar64 HB User

I wish you tons of luck. If you really want it, and it sounds like it, then it can be done! My fiance is an alcoholic, strggling to recover. We got engaged almost two years ago, and he'd been sober for a year and a half. Then, he drank again, got a DUI, and the rollercoaster started all over again. He's been struggling ever since. Our engagement is on hold, he is facing jail time for his DUI after a never-ending string of court dates, he currently has no job, no car, and suffers poor health and multiple injuries that occured during his drining binges. Life goes nowhere but down when he drinks. He is now involved in AA and it's really helping him. We take it one day at a time and know that he has to deal with the wreckage of his past. It's the only way to heal. PLEASE take care and be good to yourself...you and your loved ones deserve it...you only have one life.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB User

Hi Imtrying,

Your post really touched my heart also. I am a recovering alcoholic since 1984 and don't ask me how I managed to stay sober but I have. Yes, I attended endless AA meetings and brought many people to those meetings. I think what has always helped me the most was to remember the times I was drunk and how horrible my life was.

You can do this, you were sober for 5 years and that's a long time. You will do it again! Anytime you need to talk we are here for you.

Wishing you the best,
Sunny

Old 10-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
(female)

StartingOver07 HB User

The " The Addicted Soccer Moms" is soooo true. That is so true. Just hiding the seceret is a chore and takes alot of energy. I am sooo done doing all of it and I am commited to staying clean. The mental part is the worst part of it. I wish you the best and us Moms need to stick together through this.

God bless you

Old 10-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

zak7 HB User

Hi message board. I am 27 years-old. I want to quit smoking and alcohol. I had 5 days, but I lost my sobriety yesterday, and so today is day 1 again. I did go to one good AA meeting during those 5 days. I just wanted to be part of a recovery chat board.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
(female)

mystic777 HB User

zak7 hey I know how tuff of a time you are having....I am 33 and it took me 3 duii and destroying alot of relationships, and cost me thousands before I could stop drinking....It is the hardest thing I ever had to go through. I have been sober for 1 year. If you want any support you can lean on me, bud. I bet a soon as you got through the first five days something just snapped you back into that liqour store. I used to think about alcohol 24hrs a day. I had it really bad. If I can do it trust me man if you want something bad enough you can do it!!!! Even if you keep slipping keep starting over....write back if you want...you are not alone!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
(female)

zak7 HB User

Thanks Mystic. Yes, this is day 2 for me from alcohol and nicotine. I do know that a lot of people can quit drinking but continue smoking, but my brain has the 2 connected together. For me, to smoke means a greater liklihood of drinking, so I am quitting both together. Yes, it is hard. Drinking was such a great temporary escape for me from life at times. My meds don't do for me what drinking did. I get irrational and weird when I drink, and lately suicidal. I actually tried cutting myself about 2 months ago and ended up 2 days later in the hospital and then the psych ward in the hospital for 2 days. Yes, I did slip after having 5 days of sobriety, but I know I need to try again. I look forward to the support, and congrats on your 1 year, I know that must be a huge milestone for you.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB User

Hi Zak7,

Quitting is very difficult but it can be done. I have been sober for 23 years, oh goodness, where did the time go?

There was no way I could quit smoking or even wanted to. I still smoke even today, coffee and smoking are my only vices.

I know how hard this is and all I can suggest to you is to keep going to those AA meetings every single day, if you can, twice a day.

I had to really hit rock bottom, and I mean the very bottom before I decided to stop drinking and killing myself with the booze.

If you need to vent at any time, just post and I will always listen, I've been down that road and even though it was a long time ago, I have not forgotten the 8 detox places I was in... very painful.

Hang in there and one minute at a time, okay?
Sunny

Old 10-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
(female)

zak7 HB User

Thanks for those supportive words! I am sure I will be venting a lot!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
(female)

zak7 HB User

Does anyone know of a good online support group for recovery from alcohol, like an online AA group?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Zak7,

I think it's against the rules to post websites or give directions. My guess is anything is possible.

How are you feeling?

Sunny

Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
(female)

zak7 HB User

Thanks for asking. I am actually still sober and feeling so much better. I know that I just need to continue at it and feel what I am going through rather than drink it away with alcohol. It helps to be around people, too, and to not be in isolation.

Last edited by zak7; 10-18-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Closed Thread