It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

wifelyone29 HB User
Question VERY URGENT - Ultracet to help Vic withdrawals ????

My doctor prescribed Ultracet to help with Vicodin tapering (done with the Vicodin tapering and switching to Ultracet). Just a few days supply. My goal is to relieve the w/d symptoms and, ok, this sounds crazy, but I want to taper with a similar type .... question is ... will ultracet help in these last few days of tapering? I wanted to finish tapering with the vicodin (down to 5mg day total), but doctor said no. Advice???

Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
(female)

wifelyone29 HB User
Re: VERY URGENT - Ultracet to help Vic withdrawals ????

Well, I'm posting a reply to myself. But, in case anybody is interested. In my tapering off vicodin (down to 5mg day - yay!!), my doctor would not prescribe anymore and my withdrawal symptoms were .... well, uncomfortable to say the least. I was prescribed 18 Ultracet pills. After doing as much research as possible, I did find a source that said they had been used in a heroin addiction program. So, I went ahead and took one pill this evening. The prescription is to take 2 pills 4-6 hours per day. I took the one pill at about the time I would be feeling the vicodin withdrawals pretty hard. Okay, so here is the good news, I think ... I don't feel so bad. A little sleepy, but not wiped out. And, that creepy crawly feeling (vic w/d) is not there.

I really hope someone jumps on and gives me their opinion on this. I am not trading one addiction for the other - I've done a slow taper, but jumping off was not right for me at this moment. I needed another week or so to physically and pyschologically be ready.

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Is anybody out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
(female)

tapergal43 HB User

I am just curious about changing meds at this point, did the dr give you a reason why?

Is that the same as Ultram? If it is , I would not change...............ultram ( and I just got this advice from my pm dr yesterday) ....has the worst wd side effect and that is the extreme increase in seizure risk.

If you were that far down in vicodin tapering, why not finish it out?

Congrats on your taper, you have done fabulous!

I was taking about 20 Norco's a day a month ago and did a massive drop to 7 a day now I am down to 5 a day and want to ct it at 3 a day.........dr said no, but I am stubborn and am kind of tired of this taper, ya know?

I have told all my drs, pm dr included and they have been incredible! It feels so good when everyone knows, that was the biggest motivation for me.

How far had you come down, may I ask? I am just anxious to here how your taper schedule was.

Best wishes!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
(female)

punkindunkin HB User

Good Morning,

I have been legitimately taking 10-20 Vicoden or Percocet per day for the past 6 years following a car accident. I have taken all of the long acting meds, with complications, so stuck with Vicoden/Percocet. I am receiving little benefit from the meds anymore, so decided to just quit (cold turkey) last week.

I just wanted to pop in and tell you that I have been using Ultracet/Tramadol for the past 5 days to lessen the intensity of pain from withdrawal from Vicoden/Percocet. I only take 3 per day, and will hopefully lessen that today. As you stated, I do not intend on trading it for the other meds, just use it to help when I can't stand it. It has helped tremendously, and I must say that I am doing really well considering the quantity and duration I was taking opiates. I am also taking muscle relaxants and am unsure how much that helps. I have been exercising almost every day and feel really proud of myself getting through this. I have intense pain at times, but am hoping it is just intensified due to withdrawal syndrome and will less someday to where I can handle it!

I wish you the very best and just did not want your post to go unnoticed!

I will pray for you and keep you in my thoughts!

punkin

Last edited by punkindunkin; 10-02-2007 at 07:21 AM.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
(female)

wifelyone29 HB User
Thumbs up Re: VERY URGENT - Ultracet to help Vic withdrawals ????

Strangely, this ultracet stuff seems to be easing the vicodin withdrawal symptoms, and I believe that's a good thing. It wouldn't be good if I didn't want to quit the vicodin, but the fear of w/d symptoms is much diminished with the ultracet. Also, the ultracet doesn't make me "feel good", it just seems to ward off some of the discomfort. This is such a strange thing. Thanks for the support.

I took a small amount of vicodin today (3.0mg), and have two more days until I am done - yay! The ultracet I take in the evening to prevent w/d symptoms. I won't be taking the ultracet after I am done with the vicodin because I understand that continued use of that can lead to no good place.

Just wanted to share this success, and this interesting w/d help.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

you will be okay to take just that many ultracet and no more.and no more vicoden at all.or it will all be for nothin.you have got the hard w/d pretty much over with,but when you do quit and really quit make sure no narcotics are in the house or anywhere.this will be one of the hardest things you have ever done in your life and i mean that,but if you can stay clean and be happy you will see what and how much you have really missed while being high.its tough to do what you are doing but you can do it.we all are pulling for you.welcome to the boards.good luck-spark

Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #7
(female)

wifelyone29 HB User

Thanks spark! I have no more options to get vicodin - I never did the internet thing, and dr's around here are VERY cautious about narcotics, so getting more will be a big problem, which is good! This is the second go around with quitting .... never got bigger than a 15mg per day habit, but any habit is a habit! The ultracet doesn't make me feel "good", like the vic's did. Nor do they give me that little (or big) burst of energy that I got from the vic's. I disagree with the dr's who say the ultracet is non narcotic and non habit forming because if that's so, why is it that they are helping with w/d from narcotics? Go figure. Thanks for your support. I am so glad to be at the end, and at the beginning of waking up each morning NOT having to hit the pill bottle first, and NOT having to worry about how many are left, etc., etc., etc., !!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:20 AM   #8
(female)

punkindunkin HB User

Good Morning,

Just wanted to say that I ended up taking 2 Ultracet the entire day yesterday and hoping for 0-1 today! I feel nothing from them either, but slight relief when pain is really bad. Took some ibuprofen yesterday, too. I should probably be taking more hot baths! Today is day 6 for me. I will not take any (Ultracet) tomorrow, regardless of pain. I wish you continued success!

Have a good day!

punkin

Closed Thread