It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ilovejoaquim HB User
is ultram aka tramadol addictive?

is ultram aka tramadol addictive? has anybody been addicted to it and suffered withdrawls when they stopped?
I have a prescription i been taking for a while for back pain and i noticed that it's been helping me out alot to since i quit taking percosets and oxycontin. It helps with the aches and pains and my withdrawls for percosets and just about over now.
I just don't want to be addicted to ultram and suffer withdrawls for that.
do you know anything about it?
is withdrawls just as bad as withdrawing from percosets or oxycontin?

which narcotic is worse to withdrawl from?

Old 10-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: is ultram aka tramadol addictive?

I've taken it before and never really got a "high" off it like the pain meds. BUT, I saw another post or 2 here this week about addiction to it. Look thru the threads.
JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Even though its non-narcotic,yes,it is addicting! And you can[will] experience withdrawls if stopped abruptly.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

maggie0704 HB User

Hi There,
YES, it is addictive. The withdrawls are not 1/2 as bad as coming off vicoden/percocets....but u still have a bit of withdrawls.
I was sober for about 4 months about 2yrs ago...and i found a few Ultracets in my drawer and took them thinking they weren't addictive, but i knew the moment i took them that they were by the way they made me feel.
Even though my dr. who then started prescribing them to me (saying they WEREN'T addictive) I KNEW they had to be....bcuz i was getting that "good feeling" i used to from other opiates. It has something in it that is a derivitive of opiate....and acts the same in some ways.
Still to this day, that dr. (who i don't see anymore) swears it is non-addictive, but i've had many other doctors and people tell me that YES IT IS.
Also, everything on computer about it says it can be habit forming and if you struggle with addiction, that u shouldn't take it.
Hope this helps

Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
(female)

MsMinn HB User

see my post recently about just getting off them after a year of being on them for the 2nd time.
I have never been addicted to vicodin but I have heard that they can be equally as difficult. It really depends on the person.
Ultram acts like an opiate in that it binds to the same receptors so it makes sense that it is addictive...IMHO.
Minn...clean for...over a week now and not missing it one bit!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

Whatever you do DO NOT take this drug. I was taking it for about nine months four a day and it was hell trying to get off this med. I went slow and I still had a horrible time. It worked ok for the pain if you plan on staying on it for the rest of your life. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking of what I went through!!

Winnie31

Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
(female)

MsMinn HB User

I totally agree Winnie. Still having effects from it and it's been almost 2 weeks.
Home free now...whoo hooo!
Anyone who is trying to get off any of these drugs..it is SO worth it..keep trying. Even if you relapse. Never ever give up.
Minn

Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

MsMinn, is the whole withdrawl over for you? I take it you had horrible withdrawls like I did!! I have withdrawn from Hydros and I didn't think that was half as bad as withdrawing from Tramadol. That is an evil drug!!!!!

Winnie31:

Old 10-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
(female)

lisaboston HB User

i am very addictive to tramadol.I am up to at least 20-30 a day.I have a question.I noticed when I am trying to sleep my body jumps,my arms and legs sometimes fly up in the air.I am sure this is related to the tramadol but what is it? lisa

Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

Are you serious twenty to thirty a day? I have heard of people going into seizures because of overdosing maybe your body is trying to tell you something.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

The drug company that makes Ultram just released an extended-release version, and the drug facts state that it is in fact an OPIATE. Be careful using this drug if you are in recovery. There used to be alot of people that were on the fence about whether this drug is a narc or not, but obviously there was enough evidence for the drug company to change it's stance. Ultram was originally marketed as "non-narcotic." I guess they were wrong.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I used to take tramadol for pain. I took it because I am in recovery and they marketed it as a non narcotic pain reliever. They said I couldn't get addicted to it.
I noticed that any day I didn't take th tramadol I would get very sick to my stomach and have terrible cramping. As soon as I would take a pill, the feeling would go away. I got scared, so I stopped taking it.
I realize now, that it also used to give me a buzzed up energetic feeling. I really enjoyed taking them in the morning and started to feel like I couldn't clean the house without it. It totally reminded me of tweak.
That was about a year ago. I have had it prescribed once since then, and I was surprised when I got it filled and the info with the meds said it is narcotic. I asked the pharmacist why it changed. She said that since the oxycontin scare, the pharma companies have over reacted and begun calling many things that are not narcotic addictive. She looked at my history and said I was better off taking tramadol over the other meds I have been on in th last year.
I am not sure if this helps anyone or not, but I can tell you that it was easy for me to put down the tramadol when I noticed I was having physical withdrawals from it. I believe anytime addicts are going through wds it helps to remember it is only temporary, one day or minute at a time, and breathe.....
Step

Old 11-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #13
(female)

lotsofemotion HB User
Unhappy Re: is ultram aka tramadol addictive?

I am new to this addiction life. My husband just admitted to me last week that he is addicted to Lortab and the next day he admitted himself into rehab. They have him on Ultram to help with the pain. He has had 5 knee surgeries on the same knee and this last surgery in May is when he became really addicted he said. He told the doctor that he has taken them for the fun of it about a year ago but became addicted in May. He was taking anywhere from 10-14 a day. The thing is not only was he getting them from the pain management doc but he has been buying them from someone else and that person has been calling his cell phone! He is supposed to come home Monday from rehab and he is doing great he says but i am concerned because i have been reading your threads on the ultram. Is it possible that he can become addicted to those as well even though the doc says it is non-narcotic and not addictive? What do I do about this guy who has been calling and his cousin that has introduced him to the person and how can I trust him again. We have 2 kids and I am just scared about all of this and don't really know how to handle this. Any suggestions or comments I am desperate!

Last edited by lotsofemotion; 11-21-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User

Yeah....no matter what ANYONE says, it IS addictive.

tat*

Old 11-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #15
(female)

Missy14 HB User

It is addictive, and the worst part is taking too much of this particular drug at one time leads to seizures. I've seen many posts on another forum from addicted folks who have had seizures in public places because they went over their Ultram threshold, which is usually 8 or so pills at once but it is different for everyone. Be careful.

Closed Thread