It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
(male)

TideAlumni HB User
What are the standard Suboxone conditions?

I called today to check into it and they said there are certain conditions that have to be met before they will treat you. So instead of giving all of my information I decided that I would ask here first.

Basically, I want to get off the opiates for chronic pain, but I want to leave the door open to get back on them at some point in the future if I have to.

My main concern though is that I won't be eligable for treatment. I am currently seeing a pain doctor but I don't want to tell the Suboxone clinic about it.
Will they ask me about that? Will they deny me treatment because of it?

What I want to do is get on the Suboxone for a month to get off the OxyContin but continue to see my pain doc also.

What other conditions are there to being eligable for treatment?

Thanks

Old 10-05-2007, 01:23 AM   #2
(male)

Joe55 HB User
Re: What are the standard Suboxone conditions?

You cannot take Suboxone and an opiate together. In order to take Suboxone you would have to wait at least 24 hours after you have taken your last opiate. You have to be very honest about this (with the doctor) or you will be very sick if you try taken Suboxone to soon. Go back and read some of the posts on this subject. It's very important that you understand how this drug works.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
(female)

luvbnclean HB User

In order to give you more answers, I need more information from you. You said that you want to get on the suboxone for a month to stay off the oxy's. Do you mean that you only want to stay on sub for one month and THEN get back on the oxy's or that you only want to be on sub for one month and then not take the sub or oxy anymore. I'm confused. And then please be more specific about why you want to still see your pain doc after this if you no longer want to be on opiates. I will tell you everything I know about sub, I'm on it, but just give me a little more info please. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Tide-
I am a bit confused here. Are you asking these questions because you feel you have a problem, or because you are concerned that a problem could eventually come up? Either way, it's totally understandable to be concerned about being on these medications long term. Many chronic pain patients feel the same way.

I can tell you that there are PM doctors out there who will and do use suboxone for managing chronic pain. Most of the information out there about suboxone relates to opiate withdraw treatment, BUT it is most d*****ately used "off label" for treatment of chronic pain. There are people who get good results from it too.

Talk with your doctor about it and see what his take on it is. Certainly he can't fault you for being concerned about long term opiate use. Take care, and good luck!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
(male)

TideAlumni HB User

Well, I start Thursday for my Suboxone treatment.

The office I am going to is confidential. They will not contact your doctor(s) and you do not have to go through a pharmacy. Everything is discrete and done right there at the office.
So I can enter treatment and still have the option of seeing my pain doctor and pharmacy with no one being any the wiser, from what I understand.

I see my pain doctor in 2 weeks, so I should know by then if the Suboxone is working or if I need to get back on the Oxys, which is the way I wanted it.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
(male)

fitz31 HB User
Cool Re: What are the standard Suboxone conditions?

HEY TIDEALUMNI,First you have to close the door on opiates then I can help you once you have done that, otherwise we all are wasteing your time and our time trying to help you. I`m sorry if that sounds cruel but thats just the way it is.peace.fitz

Old 10-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
(male)

TideAlumni HB User

It all went very smooth. I waited 24 hours after my last dose of pain meds, then went in to the office and filled out some paperwork. Talked for about 5 minutes with the doctor and took 8mg of Suboxone under my tongue. About an hour later I felt great. The feeling the first day was that of a mild opiate high, but that went away the second day and now I just feel normal all the time. No pharmacy and no record that my pain doc will see, so basically there is no trace that I ever did this and I can go back to my pain doc and continue treatment there if I decide that is what I want to do later this month.

As far as the pain goes, the Suboxone does help some. It has kept my pain pretty much in check with the exception of a few times where I had to take a muscle relaxer and some Ibuprophen.

I will likely go back on the pain meds but it is comforting to know that there is something out there that I have tried and that works for me in the event that I ever need it. Overall I am pleased with the experience.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

i finally understood where you were coming from with your post.i have to agree with you and i applaud you for the way you have handled your situation.people with chronic pain have so few resources to handle the pain then have to deal with dependency and finally addiction issues.who knows maybe the suboxne will handle your pain just fine,if not you can go a few days without using it and get back on stronger pain medicine if you need to.it is so hard to find a caring dr to treat pain.i understand completely why you wanted to keep the pain dr from finding out about the sub in case it didnt work out for you.i think you made the right choice bro.just be carefull,dont know what state you are in but here in ky. there is a system called "kasper" set up that is state wide that moniters all scheduled narcotics and benzos.any dr or pharmist can access the kasper to see what narcotics the patient has had filled anywhere in the state.so if your state has something like this the pain dr can find out if you have been scribed sub or any narcotics and if he sees you have used suboxone without telling him/her you will be cut off from that clinic.good luck-spark

Old 10-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
(male)

fitz31 HB User

TIDEALUMNI,Tell me if youwill , what pains you and if sub and ibupro help than you should not have to go back to pain meds. You can go thru wds if your dose of sub and pain meds are to close together or not get any pain relief if there is sub still in your system.Just something you should know.peace. fitz.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
(male)

TideAlumni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz31 View Post
TIDEALUMNI,Tell me if youwill , what pains you and if sub and ibupro help than you should not have to go back to pain meds. You can go thru wds if your dose of sub and pain meds are to close together or not get any pain relief if there is sub still in your system.Just something you should know.peace. fitz.
Sure, Fitz. I'd be glad to answer your questions.

My back is what pains me, and my knee. I've had surgery on both. Mainly just my back that is the chronic pain though.

The Suboxone, as you know, is an opiate and as such it does act similary to other opiates as far as relieving pain goes. It is nowhere near as good as pain meds, but it is 10x better than, say.. Tramadol or something.

The doctor I went to for the Suboxone told me that I should stop the Suboxone at the very least 4 days before starting back on pain meds again, other wise, like you said, I could go into withdrawals. She did say though that I would still get pain relief from the pain meds even if I took them the same day as the Suboxone, but I wouldn't get much of a high off the meds if I took them for that purpose.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
(male)

fitz31 HB User
Wink Re: What are the standard Suboxone conditions?

TIDEALUMNI, Well i`m glad you know that you wont get high if sub is in your system but you will get pain releif because the sub is an atogonist so no high. You know that life can be painless with other methods such as accupuncture and many other forms but you have to ask yourself, IS THE HIGH I AM CHASING? If so you need to set youself straight or self destruct.I live with pain and have a real tough job in law enforcement but i refuse to ever go there again, as my friends from vietnam say " YOU DON`T DIE FROM PAIN" so look into other alternatives for your pain and answer that question to yourself.peace.fitz.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
(male)

TideAlumni HB User

The reason I started the Suboxone was to see if I could go it without the Oxys and such. What I'll do now is taper off the Suboxone, which is still helping with the pain, and see where I am at. If I can manage without the Oxys or even something like the Suboxone then all the better. If not, then I don't have a big problem going back on the Oxys.
It's probably confusing that I posted it here under the Addiction and Recovery board, but it was either here or at the Pain Management board, and over there the majority of the people are sitting high upon that horse and pointing fingers and blaming others because they can't get all the drugs they need... lol.

As far as the theory that "YOU DONT DIE FROM PAIN". I guess that is true. You don't have to drive to work or eat red meat either, but we do.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
(male)

fitz31 HB User
Cool Re: What are the standard Suboxone conditions?

TIDEALUMNI, I believe no one over here points fingers I have many great discussions, try to go in time on the boards under addiction and recovery and click on all topics people ask for help on , what a great tool to help all of us and i think you will see many comparisons to your situation. I think you know that if you are on pain meds sooner or later you will be doing it to get high but believing you`re doing it for pain. You must remain vigilant and know one from the other or you like so many of us fall victim to this stuff. If you need help we are here for you, be strong and keep us posted.peace. fitz.

Last edited by fitz31; 10-17-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:46 AM   #14
(male)

TideAlumni HB User

Well, I am off the Suboxone already. I started out with 16mg a day, then down to 12, and finally was just taking the 8mg pill once per day. I did this for a few weeks, and then the saturday before last I decided to quit taking the Suboxone cold turkey.
There were some, very, very mild withdrawals but nothing much. In fact, if I hadn't been "looking" for the withdrawal feelings I wouldn't have really known they were even there.

I started back on the OxyContin 4 days after I quit the Suboxone and it worked just fine.

So everything worked out perfectly. I know now that if/when I decide to quit the OxyContin for good some day, that I can do it easily with the Suboxone.
The stuff works great and I am glad that I gave it a try.

Closed Thread