It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
(female)

ann07 HB User
Unhappy My step dad has a drug addiction....

Hi my name is Callie. my step dad has a drug addiction with cocaine. He ma have a drug problem but that doesn't mean he is a bad guy. anyway, he has been trying but has had some relapes. My whole family has shut him out of their lives, expect for me. I don't think this is ok. You see, my mom has her fair share if problems with drinking. Some how, everyone in my family who half of i haven't met have deciced it is not the same and my step dad is just a bad person. this just doesn't seem right to me. I mean right now he is sleeping in a car, he has addiction, he needs support, right?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maggie0704 HB User
Re: My step dad has a drug addiction....

Hi Ann07:
Welcome to this forum. I think it's wonderful that you have come for advice on this.
And I think you have the right idea in that your step-dad is NOT a bad person and he needs support. It is hard for those who do not have addiction, to truely understand it. And it's easy for them to have judgements bcuz they don't have the knowledge.
But I speak from experience when i say that there is nothing you can do to make them see things differently. Other than maybe doing some research and showing them what you've found. People don't realize that an addiction is addiction...whether they're addicted to food, or alcohol, or cocaine.
And they shouldn't be looked down on bcuz of their addiction.
The best advice i can give you is to pray for your step-father and family. Pray that they will have the desire to learn more about it and want to reach out to him. And then you keep showing them that your going to be there for him thru this.
Has your step-father gone into rehab before? Does he go to meetings? Bcuz if he hasn't, then maybe you can suggest these things to him.
When people are in the throes of addiction, they are depressed. And since the rest of the family has turned on him, maybe knowing that you are there for him and willing to help him will help him.
But he has to admit he has this problem and want to get better in order for anything to help. Every city has an addiction hotline...maybe call them or do some research on help for addicts in your area.
Instead of focusing on how your family isn't doing what they should for him, focus on you doing your best to help. I'm not saying that you need to enable him or support him if he's not ready to get help....but i know how it feels to feel abandoned, and that doesn't help the addict.
Good luck and i'll pray for you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread