It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
(male)

ninja1975 HB User
going cold turkey off heroin

do sleeping pilss help you sleep when going cold turkey off heroin

Old 10-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

jponline HB User
Re: going cold turkey off heroin

I have no experience of taking heroin but have witnessed my daughter coming off it many times and sleeping pills have only for her taken the edge off it, i think it is dangerous to take them to the extent that they will help, all I know is that w/ds are terrible but they will not kill you,w/ds off methadone are far worse. Wether you suceed or not regardless of what you use to help you depends on how determined you are, I wish you every good luck and will say a special prayer for you.Keep us posted as I am sure I am one of many who will be rooting for you.
JP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

hey ninja,

i did a one month taper off a 2 bundle a day habit. i actually had my mom hold the heroin for me. i didnt have a car at the time, so that helped. i first found out exactly how much i needed to be "not sick" and went from there, lowering it about a bag a day until i got down to one bag. then we went a little slower. like 3/4, for a couple days, then 1/2 for a couple days. i didnt do it all at once, i took some (you know 1/2 a bag is hardly anything) in the morning and some late afternoon. yes, i suffered w/d but not as bad as i did when i did it cold turkey. when i finally got off completely the lethargy and sleeplessness lasted quite a while, but got better and better. it was do-able. it took about 3 months, but i felt almost human by then. with the help of aa and support from my family i stayed sober for 5 1/2 years., then i screwed up in may on oxycontin for 10 days. i am currently on sub and tapering from that.
so its important that you find a support and keep it, so you dont go back.

good luck,

michelle

p.s. hot baths, heating pads, sleep meds (i did over the counter). read the first sticky about home detox, that stuff works.
keep us posted.

Last edited by oh-notagain; 10-06-2007 at 04:23 PM.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
(female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User

Hi ,
I have not gone through what you have but my daughter has, oxys & herion. She first detoxed on sobutex then was put on suboxone. The withdrawls were to much for her and the cravings made her crazy. The county we live in has a program at the local recovery center that accepts so many patients for free and also the meds are free, there are also more doctors and rehabs prescribing . check with your county if you are interested in that route and see what kinda help you may get. My daughter is on out patient treatment.
I wish you all the luck in the world. get all the support you need here, na,counselors what ever you feel you need. But i know how hard it would be to do with just sleeping pills. You reallly may need more help than that and thats ok. Whatever it takes.
My prayers are with you,
tami

Old 10-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
(male)

placebo666 HB User
Smile Re: going cold turkey off heroin

Herion is the hardest thing I have ever detoxed from. I found that after the physical detox runs its course the hardest part is the mental. At least for me it was. I say do whatever it takes mentally to stay away after your physical detox runs its course in about 3 months make sure you make your mind up and stick with it because like I said the mental part is the hardest.
Best of luck.

Closed Thread