It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Laye HB UserLaye HB UserLaye HB User
Long Term Am bien Users?

Are there any out there? I've been taking it every night for over two years. I wonder what the long term effects are? I only take one a night. I've gone 4 or 5 days in a row without it and never noticed any type of withdrawls. I just couldn't get to sleep as fast. I worry that using this long term will cause problems. I want to stop it, but I feel a bit dependent on it now.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
(female)

stupidinseattle HB User
Re: Long Term *****n Users?

I have been taking this medication for about a year. It really helps me sleep. But since I have been taking it for so long, it doenst work as well for me anymore. I have to take 3 a night sometimes to get to sleep. I have a really hard time falling asleep on the nights that I dont take it. But I always have had insomnia. My doctor is fine with me taking it long term as it is the only med that helps me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Long Term Am bien Users?

I've been taking it for a few yrs also. My dr is skimpy with the scripts though so I alternate that and clonazapam which she never gives refills on (need to call in for refills). I have found that I've built a tolerance to the amb and sometimes I may take even 2 and not get to sleep. Other times I can fall asleep in the recliner watching tv without any sleep aid, but get in bed and am wide awake. I've had insomnia all my life. I think the main thing with long term use is that you build a tolerance to it. My dr always warns about addiction when prescribing. She had no clue I was addicted to hydrocodone, which I never got from her. I'm off that now but still feel like I was cheating on my dr since she always preached about addiction. I tried the other one they advertise, Lun...a, and that did not work at all for me.
JB

Old 10-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
(female)

stupidinseattle HB User

I also have tried them all. Lun and Rozer none of them worked. A lot of diff anti-anxiety meds cause my doc thought maybe that was my problem and that didnt work either. a*m*b*i*e*n is the only one that works for me and I am actually having issues right now because I ran out and my script cant be refilled until Nov 1st. Since I am only given 30 a month, it only lasts me like 15 - 20 days since I have to take more than 1 a night to get to sleep. I dont know if a doc would allow you to take 2 a night? But somehow I doubt it. I am a little scared to talk to my doc about it for fear that she will take me off it if I tell her the 1 isnt working. I have seen many ads online where you can buy it but I wonder if those are legit. I have no idea.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

The ones online probably require a script from your Dr. LOL
I doubt dr will give you permission to take 2 because the 10mg is the max dose to my knowledge. I always have to swear to my dr that I don't take them everynight to get new scripts because of the tendancy for addiction - whether it's mental or physical, I don't know. Luckily, I can alternate the clonazapam every other day or more.
It's probably something you already do, but just in case: No caffeine after sometime in the afternoon. For me, if I drink a soda with caffeine in the evening, it will keep me up. Coffee, would keep me up all night. Wish it worked that well in the morning!
Best wishes.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
(female)

stupidinseattle HB User

I usually have 1 latte in the morning and that is it all day. I only drink diet orange or sprite soda and I have tried everything under the sun. Hot baths, hot cocoa, sleep time tea...nothing works.

Sounds like you had one sweet doctor Fritz! You shouldnt have to suffer like that, no one should. It sucks that people abuse a*m*b*i*e*n because it is a wonder drug for some. My doc actually said she was ok with giving it to me for the rest of my life and I am only 32 y/o. She knows it is the only thing that helps. She did ask me to try and only take it during the week and not on the weekends, and I do sometimes if I am out having drinks or something but if I am just home, I have no choice or I cant sleep. I am going on like almost 2 weeks of only about 2-3 hours of sleep a night and I am about to go crazy! You know I have seen so many sites that offer it w/o a script from a doc, it is super expensive like $150 but you get like 90 pills or something. I almost want to try one out but I dont want to get into trouble!!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

Don't ever buy prescription meds online. It is illegal and you could get into serious trouble. Plus the fact that most of those places will rip you off big time given half the chance.

Have a good night and try to get some sleep.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hey Lottie, I know the prescription thing online is crazy. I've had pop ups to the right of this board "Ads by Google" that say "buy hydrocodone, etc". If you look up a drug onlne, pop ups or sites come up offering all kinds of drugs online. It's crazy and should not be allowed, but who controls the pop ups and such - apparently nobody does! I know they will rip you off big time!
Sweet dreams to those who get to sleep tonight
JB

Old 10-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

I wasn't able to read all the replies (sorry) I will do so later. Just wanted you to know I was on *****n off and on for 6 years. Stopped about 4 months ago. Why......DUI!!!! Woke up in the middle of the night and drove . NO RECOLLECTION! I did other things "asleep" that my BF saw over the previous 8 full months I was on it. No memory the next day. I was originally on 10mg which eventually increased to 20mg...tolerance.
Bella

Yes I think it can be "addictive" to some. A "wonder" drug for others. I was not addicted to it and was able to stop when need be (even after length I was on it). But I also believe, whether someone is aware or not, it can be dangerous. After many years of not sleeping it was a GODSEND! But it can also be a problem.

Last edited by tattoogirl; 10-23-2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added after reading some posts

Old 10-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
(female)

stupidinseattle HB User

Oh I agree with you. I am sure a lot of people have problems with it like yours. There have been nights for me that were very similar. My poor husband has had to babysit me while I was on it. It was that point where I should have been in bed but for whatever reason I was still up and in nonsense land. And I always want to eat! Everything and anything in site. Things that normally wouldnt go together, I think sounds good. Does that ever happen to anyone else? I think I have gained 10lbs since I started taking it.

Closed Thread