It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
(female)

abigail09 HB User
For Maggie...

Hi Maggie,
I just finished reading thru one of your threads, and wanted to jump in to tell you something. I'm sure I do not know your whole story, but I've read enough to know (or at least I think) that you became addicted to pain meds due to taking them for chronic headaches/migraines, and that you are working towards trying for a baby. I too had suffered most of my life with daily tension headaches and frequent migraines. Hardly a day went by that I did not take at least 2 xtra strenght tylenol or excedrin. I was prescribed Fioricet also, and it does help prevent a migraine (I get the ones with an aura first) from coming on but only provides temporary relief for the tension headaches. I also began to think it was causing more rebound headaches than it was worth. There were a few times my migraines got so bad I would need to take percocet. Anyway, what I wanted to tell you is that when I got pregnant... my headaches literally disappered for 9 months! I swear... it was the weirdest thing to go so long without popping tylenol or excedrin daily. Since my pregnancy I get maybe 2-4 days per month dealing with a headache. My brother-in-law is a nurse and said that because you have more blood flowing thru your body during pregnancy it made sense that my headaches would go away??? Not sure I understand exactly why this is, but I had never felt better. And I feel like that pregnancy somehow changed my head! I know how debilitating headaches and migraines can be and wanted to give you some hope. Good luck, and stay strong with your taper from sub. I can tell how badly you want a baby, and can only imagine how hard a struggle this is while still dealing with the pain that got you to where you are. Maybe this little bit of information will give you more motivation to get to that end result. : ) Just imagine a life headache free - or close to it. I doubt I'm the only one who's headaches went away during pregnancy.

Oh... just thought about this too... maybe it had something to do with the prenatal vitamins?? I know you can take them before getting pregnant too. Might be worth asking your Dr. about. Can't hurt to try them right?

Last edited by abigail09; 10-08-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added part about vitamins..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maggie0704 HB User
Re: For Maggie...

Thank you Abigail for taking the time to share your story with me. I have heard before of woman who had chronic headaches and when preg., they virtually disappeared. Then after the baby was born, they still had much less of them than before. My sister is also someone who had frequent ha's and they got MUCH better after her 2nd baby.
I know in my heart that most of these headaches are rebound. When your constantly in pain, your constantly reaching for meds. And I know from experience (having been in headache hospital 2x) all about rebound and if u take medication daily, you'll get rebound headaches. But it's just so hard to NOT take anything. Especially with having to work and function.
Im so used to constant pain that you'd think i could handle not taking anything and just seeing if it goes away on its own, but i guess bcuz i get so frustrated with NEVER feeling good, I can't suffer.
Right now i'm on a bad streak taking Ibuprophen (2-4 a day) and it's messing with my stomach big time. Having the worst heartburn, which isn't good bcuz i had a bleeding ulcer a couple years ago and had to have 3 units of blood bcuz of all the blood loss in my stool. I passed out and everything,,,,it was scary.
NO EXXAGERATION, I have a headache or migraine EVERY SINGLE DAY. I haven't NOT had one in over 4 years....and that only lasted 2 wks (was right after i came home from Chicago headache hospital stay). So i know what its like to take something every day, sometimes the headache comes back later on in day and i have to take something AGAIN!!
But i'm at the 1.5mg mark in tapering off the sub., and my headaches are worse at this point bcuz of tapering. Which is what i've heard is a symptom of coming off these things. I freak out though every time i think of getting prego again (had 2 misc. last year) bcuz i can't IMAGINE NOT being able to take anything for pain. Since i've been preg. 2x, and had a few MAJOR migraines during both times, i'm scared to face that again.
I do have hope that my headaches will lessen once preg. I heard that it is due to hormones changing when preg. I actually have heard many women say that they had less ha's only WHEN pregnant. That during their pregnancy their hormones were such that they rarely had one.
I'm praying that that will be my case and that it will stay that way after i deliver.
I am on pre-natals right now, dr. is taking every pre-caution and trying to get my body ready for my next try.
I have a lot of fears of facing this "try" again, obviously.....but i'm trying to stay positive and put my faith in God. That's all i can do right.?
Thank you again for sharing with me, it does give me more hope!
You seem very sweet and I am thankful that you have been relived of that constant pain. Keep in touch.

Closed Thread