It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
(male)

mike s HB User
Flexeril ?

I'm a recovering alcoholic & have had issues with pain meds. I was just prescribed Flexeril for pain & sleep problems. Has anyone heard of this medication & is there a potential for abuse ? Thanks, Mike

Old 10-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User
Re: Flexeril ?

Yes, just like almost all meds it can be addictive.. It is actually a muscle relaxant. Most people I know that's taken it including myself were very groggy and irritable the next morning.. it has a lasting effect. Everyone's different though! Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

Mike,

I do know that Flexeril is a muscle relaxant. As for abuse I would assume that it would be just because of the ability to help with sleep.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
(male)

mike s HB User

Thanks for your responses. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I've been in a deep depression for months & I've been fighting with the urge to relapse with booze & Vicodin. I guess I'm very vulnerable right now. Thanks, Mike

Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

I think most of us are vulnerable.. at least if you're going through detox. So I know what you mean. How long have you been clean? Just remember, it's worse to go back to where you were.. you don't wanna do that. The flexaril is definately better than the other stuff..

Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Mike-
The answer to your question is absolutely. It is one of those medications that can cause abuse problems. Because it's a muscle relaxer, it can also have a "depressive" effect on you. I know you mentioned that you are suffering from depression, so if you are taking any anti-depressants, you should really let your doctor know before taking it.

All the information on Flexeril states that it should only be used short term because of the risk of withdraws associated if taken for more than just a few days. Also, alcohol is a huge "no-no" with this medication.

It will make you very sleepy too. You might want to ask your doctor about Skelaxin instead. It doesn't cause drowsiness and the potential for abuse is much less. As with any medication though, there is always a chance of that no matter what the information says.

Good Luck. I hope you are feeling much better all around soon!!

Old 10-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
(male)

mike s HB User

Hi g8trgrl15, I haven't had any booze since Jan. '06 & clean from Vicodin for only 4 months. Because of this depression I'm having a hard time staying sober but I'm hanging in there. Thanks, Mike

Old 10-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

I've been clean from methadone and lortab for 27 days and counting. I've found myself wanting to have a beer to kind of make things easier.. but I know the answer isn't to quit one addiction for another. I used to go out and drink on the weekends all the time, but alcohol was never a problem for me. I think I just want it now for a crutch. I drank last weekend..after not drinking for over 2 years. (Doing the church thing, trying to live right) Guess I'm just looking for something in the wrong area. Hope the depression gets better, I'll keep you in my prayers..

Brandi

Old 10-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
(male)

mike s HB User

Thanks Brandi, Congrats on 27 days ! I've heard that Methodone is hell to come off. You're doing great. I know it's not easy. I had two brothers die from addiction. My oldest died @ 48 from alcohol & my other brother died @ 42 from Heroin. I remember watching him go through Heroin withdrawal. It was terrible. Of course I was young & looked down on him. I learned never to judge because I became an addict myself. Both of them were great guys. I've been really tempted to have a few beers to ease the depression. My problem is that after a few beers I would go to hard liquor & be comotose for days. My last binge ended up in the ER with a bac of 4.6. I was lucky to survive. It was affecting my breathing. What's hard for me is that I'm all alone in this. I'm trying to hang on. Again, great job ! Mike

Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User

Hi Mikes:

Research Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). When I did, it was one of those aha, now I see what is going on moments. It helps me when I understand that it is part of the healing process, and, alas, can linger for 6 months to 1.5 years.

My struggle is great also. I posted here a while back after about two weeks off of a nasty vicodin habit, feeling that "pink cloud feeling," then relapsing three times. I am currently clean and sober, but the lingering depression and fatigue is a grim reminder that I have a long way to go.

We share a similar past. My brother died of alcoholism at 25 and my grandmother died from benzo abuse at 72 (she was lucky).

I don't know much about the drug you are asking about, but I think that your questions have already been answered.

Stay strong,

MK (another mike)

Old 10-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
(male)

mike s HB User

Thanks for responding Mike. Yes death really hurts. My entire family is deceased as well as two best friends. I miss them all terribly. Now my girlfriend has dumped me. I'm really in a state of gloom. I've taken three of those muscle relaxants & don't feel anything. I guess years of abuse have built a high tolarence. I just can't take this feeling of gloom much longer. I know that returning to substance abuse will not help. I'm on so many medications that aren't helping. It seems like my brain chemistry is all messed up. I have no ability to feel joy. I guess that's why I'm really having to fight the lure of abuse. I can't take this mental turmoil much more. I hope I can keep from slipping. Hard times.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User

mike s:

I am a spiritual person and believe that there are evil forces at work in this world. And, right now, these forces are throwing everything that they have at you to make you stumble.

Don't fall for it mike. Get help from AA, NA or a counselor. Please don't relapse like I did. It only gets harder to mantain your sobriety. You are 4 months clean, and that is worth bragging about.

My prayers are with you.

MK

Old 10-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hey Mike(s), I'm there with you on the depression thing. I abused hydrocodone for about 2 yrs. Had a terrible summer - lost a friend to breast cancer, wrecked my car the day of her funeral, put mother in law with alzhiemers in a home and have been dealing with disposing of her house/stuff... I could go on and on. I handled all these things with the help of the hydro. Then I ran out in early Sept and started withdrawal and major depression. I didn't even realize I was going thru wd. Went to Dr who prescribed Cymbalta for the depression. Well, I had every side effect listed and just saw Dr again to switch anti-depressants. She does not know of my addiction (nor anyone else except the people on this board). Now I'm tapering off the Cymbalta, starting lexapro and just started coreg for blood pressure which was so high yesterday she said I should be concerned about having a stroke! I know what it's like to feel alone and frustrated with taking so many medications, I don't know what is doing what to me anymore. I was off the hydro for 5 weeks when some I had ordered when I ran out came in the mail last Saturday. Timed themselves to arrive when I had a headache from hell, which I was having for over a week. I took 2 right away.
They helped get rid of the worst of the headache but did not give me the buzz I got off them before. After 5 weeks of craving the drugs, they didn't do it for me anymore. For that I am glad. I have not disposed of them yet because of the headaches I've had on a daily basis, I think from the cymbalta. I feel more depressed than ever and have been having anxiety attacks. It's like now I know that my crutch for yrs doesn't work anymore, I more depressed but happy because I don't want the addiction again. Anyway, I just wanted you to know you're not alone. As far as the Flexeril goes, I'm pretty sure that and Soma-another muscle relaxer- can both become addictive. Like someone said below, try skelaxin. That's the "baby" in the muscle relaxant dept - one dr told me he just prescribes that to teenagers and people that don't need a strong one.
I hope you feel happy again soon. I hope I do too. This addiction thing is going to be life long, I'm afraid, so we have to find other ways of being happy, without drugs or booze. It's hard for me with winter coming but at least there's some good tv on now.
JB

Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

Mike,
You are not alone!! There are some great people on here day and night for you to talk to.. so before you pick up a drink or pop a pill, just try talking to someone on here first.. I know how hard it is, believe me.. I couldn't imagine not having any family around, and I am very sorry about that. Part of what's depressing for me is realizing that this is something I'll have to deal with the rest of my life! That sucks. And yes, the methadone was hell coming off of, even with the subutex. I like to think I'm a stronger person for it though. I'm currently trying to learn to live with my husband sober.. it's not as easy as I thought it would be.. but I'm going to give it what I've got. I know that it's best for my 2 boys. So we do what we have to. Anyway, just know that we're here for you to talk to!!

Brandi

Old 10-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #15
(male)

mike s HB User

Thanks Brandi. I'm having a real hard time. This board is helping. I have a big mountain to climb. Right now I'm just trying to get through the day. It's hard with all this addiction stuff keeps running trough my mind. I'm hanging on by a thread. Thanks for everyone's support. Mike

Closed Thread