It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 03:02 AM   #1
(female)

agit777 HB User
whats the best drugs to help with opiate withdrawals

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the best drugs are to help with norco withdrawals. I've been addicted to norco for over 4 years and desperately want to quit but I can't find a dr in San Antonio who can prescribe suboxone. I was also diagnosed with post tramatic stress disorder along with my neck problems. I knew I eventually wanted to quit the norco and every time I went to the dr he prescribed me things for sleep and anxiety that I basically stock piled (all but the norco) because I didnt want to be a zombie all day and also didn't feel that I needed it everyday. I have Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Ativan, Temazepam, Soma, Flexeril, Seroquel and Lunesta. My question is, are any of these better than others to help with withdrawals. I also have Tramadol and Ultram ER but I've heard so many scarey things about becoming addicted to it that I'm afraid to take it. If anyone out there has any input i'd really apreciate it because I desperately want to get off of the norco. Thankyou in advance for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: whats the best drugs to help with opiate withdrawals

Hi

Wishing you well on your plan to get off the Norco. from experience, I would steer clear of the tranquilizers like Valium and Xanax and such. Coming off Norco will seem like a breeze compared to coming off a benzo. Expriene talks here

I would suggest a blood pressure med... clonodine has helped many. It keeps the anxiety at bay a bit and helps with the sweats. I already happened to be on a blood pressure med.. Toprol XL, after a heart attack, so I didn't make the switch to another blood pressure med.

Talk openly with your doctor! Tell him exactly what is going on... he can be your strongest ally in this.

Good thoughts
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

rozetat2 HB User

clonidine and seroquel are the best bets-- klonopin is safer than xanax--stay away from xanax

Old 10-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
(female)

agit777 HB User

Thankyou so much for your quick replys to my question but now I have 1 more. What exactly is seroquel used for? I'm assuming it must act as some sort of sleep aide. My dr gave me a bunch of samples and I honestly don't remember what it's for because I never took any of it. If it is a sleep aide what is it compareable to & is it a strong one that will really help me to get some sleep through the worst of the w/ds?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hi agit,

To answer your question about Seroquel...

It is an anti-psychotic, however given at low doses, it acts as a sleeping aid. My doctor gave me 25mgs of Seroquel. Patients who are psychotic take upwards of 500-800mgs. A low dose, like mine (25mgs) helps one to sleep.

Hope that helps

emsmom

Old 10-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
(female)

sydnee56 HB User

My doctor gave me clonidine. It helps with drug withdrawals, but you may want to discuss with your doctor.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
(male)

bowdenta HB User

I think benzos can be effective if used for less than a week. seizures are a concern when you come off xanax but i think if you dont get a seizure by simply tapering off the xanax, coming off the benzo is a lot better than the hydrocodone WD's. just dont let yourself trade one addiction for another. remember why you want to be sober. just my 2 cents. any other major problems with xanax and benzos im not thinking about?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
(female)

misnibs HB User

Ok. I know it has been awhile since you first posted, but I have some advise. I have learned from my own experience, I was on methadone, that the withdraw from narco's is shorter and less painful that adding other drugs to make the withdraw better for the moment.

If you are still trying to get off the narco'sdo it cold turkey!!! I am now clean and am much happier for it. I am wiser than the average person because of the path I have chosen in life.

I have seen many people switch addictions while trying to break a "worse" addiction.

My sdvise is to go cold turkey and be miserable, skin crawling, hot flashes and flu symptoms and be done. Once w/d's are done you can deal with the reasons you became an addict in the first place.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

kadee HB User

Hi and welcome

Lordy, lordy, love,that is quite a haven of a medicine chest you have. I was wondering if you have come clean with your doctor who prescribes them to you, does he know you are trying to get off the pills. I am assuming you are an addict, maybe I am wrong, but if I am right, does your doctor know that you struggle with addiction. Can you get open and honest and let him know? That is your first step towards help for yourself.....tell....your doctor, don't keep it a secret.

I would stay clear of the Valium family, "hells kitchen" clear of those little nasty colored tats. Sincerely and in all hope for you, I recommend clonodine, it worked for me during my detox,d ka-zillions of others just like us, it is used in hospitals, detox centres to ease the pain of W/D. Less kicks, and less knawing,chewing, throbbing of the massive skin organ.

blessings
kadee

Closed Thread