It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ilovejoaquim HB User
ever stop cold turkey and succeed?

has anyone ever decided to stop taking narcotics by stopping cold turkey, dealing with the withdrawls and then finally overcoming all of it and finally be narc free?

What was the worst symptom of withdrawl you ever had?

Old 10-13-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
(female)

texascowgirl8 HB User
Re: ever stop cold turkey and succeed?

Yes, it does work. Granted I was in rehab, but you can do it. Surround yourself with clean people. Go to 12 step meetings as much as you can; NA, AA, CA (if you were a cocaine user, if not there are other specified meetings). The worst symptom of withdrawl depends on which drugs you are on honestly. The main drugs I was detoxing from while in rehab were cocaine, escatsy, weed and benzos. There is nothing you can do to aide in those while detoxing anyways. I had the most trouble with sleeping, restlessness, irritability, CRAVINGS, everything along those lines. I did not want people around me, but it was the best for me.

I hope this helps! Nicole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
(female)

joanharvest HB User

My son went cold turkey at home from heroin and Oxycontin. He was a heavy user. His father and I took turns staying home with him for seven days. I wanted to be sure he stayed hydrated. He had a prescription for xanax which I doled out to him. He has been opiate free ever since. He doesn't ever want to go through that again. That's one of his motivations to stay clean. Unfortunately he won't go to meetings but he's 26 so that's his choice. His psychiatrist had him on a cocktail of drugs you wouldn't believe. After he got free of the opiates he weaned himself off everything else. Depacote and Lamictal, Xanax and klonopins. She gave him everything. She said he was bi polar. He's not. He still smokes pot though. I hope one day he will quit that too. He moved away a couple of weeks ago after his ex-girlfriend died of a heroin overdose. He now is living about 8 hours away, has a good job, living in a nice house with nice people.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
(female)

wheninrome1313 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejoaquim View Post
has anyone ever decided to stop taking narcotics by stopping cold turkey, dealing with the withdrawls and then finally overcoming all of it and finally be narc free?

What was the worst symptom of withdrawl you ever had?
My doctor said something to me that really helped with the whole fear of With drawals. SHe said, "WDs are like child birth...at the time you think it it is the worse thing you ever have felt and you don't think you will make it and you think you will die. But later, when you are done, it is so worth the joy you have afterwards, and you will forget the pain and your life will go on to a better place. SO when you are going through them, know that the pain is in a sense your labor pains as you give birth to a new life, drug free!"

I thought that was pretty good advice!

Old 10-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
(male)

Lou1 HB User

I successfully cold turkey detoxed off of hydros and darvocet in May of this year. The most difficult PHYSICAL withdrawal symptom for me was the chills and simultaneous drenching sweats. But, I had total partnership with my primary care doctor (NOT the prescribing pain management doc) and she prescribed a clonodine patch which greatly reduced the severity of most of the physical symptoms. However, by far, the single most debilitating symptom of detox was the EXTREME anxiety that I could not deal with. I ended up in the ER begging for some relief from this anxiety and stayed home from work for nearly 3 weeks until I was able to compose myself enough to face the rigors of a retail management job.
Looking back on the experience, it was definitely worth it and I know I could never have completed a successful taper (not enough self-control). But, if anyone thinking of a cold-turkey detox is not in a position to take a minimum of a week off from work, then I recommend trying the taper route, with a trusted friend or family member controlling the drug so that no "cheating" can occur.
Each opiate addiction and detox is a unique situation with many variables. Each person has different tolerance levels to the withdrawal process and of course the severity of the withdrawal itself is highly dependent on the drug used, how high a dose, and how long the individual was abusing.
The bottom line....whether one chooses cold turkey or a taper, the end result is the same: regaining a life of clear-mindedness and the ability to once again appreciate simply living.

Lou

Last edited by Lou1; 10-13-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Dear I,

Please realize that when a person stops "cold turkey" they are not only dealing with the physical withdrawal but also the psychological.

Long after the tremors have subsided, there lies the fact that the mind must now find a way to cope with the sudden "void" in that particular person's life.

Those who fail to plan often are planning to fail, without even realizing it(IMO).

It can be done, as many can testify to.

Take care.

Phoenix

Closed Thread