It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
(female)

cam724 HB User
Really what should i do?????

i have been on this site many times, mostly to read but sometimes to post.....i have been on pain meds for 16 months for a t3/t4 disc protrusion that i cannot have surgery on...i am 27 years old with 2 very young children....when i say pain meds its mostly percs, some vics, and now my doc gave me vicoprofen...i know that i am definitely physically addicted but let me say that i take maybe 3 a day of the vicoprofens and when it was percs 7.5 i took maybe 4 a day then down to 2 then to none.....i did switch to tramadol totally without any w/d's but then i went on cymbalta and tramadol cannot be taken with that......anyways, my prescription is gone , early, i want to get off everything, but i just started a new job, i am in nursing school and my kids are 4 and 1....NO TIME TO DETOX.....but here is my concern...my back is still in pain i hate it...do i just stay on the pills? even though i will take them if my back is not bothering me as much.......i am seeing a physiatrist in a month, has anyone ever seen one of those??? can they prescribe??? cuz of course my pcp does not want to anymore and i understand that......do u stay on pills when u do need them but you also like them?????

Old 10-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User
Re: Really what should i do?????

Cam, this is a very hard question for any of us to answer for you.. You 're in a situation a lot of people find themselves in. You take the pain meds for a legitimate injury, and then your body becomes dependent on the medication just to function. Opiates are a bad thing.. yes they help with pain, but they are so addictive. You know deep down if you are addicted. Do you take them even when you don't need them? Do you take them just to function, to feel "normal"? Eventually, 3 or 4 will not be enough, and you will have to take more and more.. it's really best to cut out while you're at this point. I too, have a bulging disc at L4, L5.. but the pain isn't as bad as I thought it would be without the meds. It's manageable. You have to figure out if yours is or not.. I can tell you that you are too young to be dependent on pain meds for the rest of your life. I'm only 28.. starting taking them when I was 23. Ultimately, it's your call.. talk to this physiatrist, see what he says..

Best of Luck
g8trgrl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
(female)

wheninrome1313 HB User

I agree, this is a very hard situation to be in. I started meds for legitmate pain needs and stayed on them longer than I needed to because I liked them. I made excuses that I was still having pain (which I was) but it was manageable and deep down I just really wanted to stay on them. I started off on meds like you did but eventually they do not work and you will find yourself needing higher doses and stronger meds. It is a long road that is NOT EASY to travel on. Doctors will get weird about prescribing, the constant worry of running out, or taking more than you need will completely take over your life. I don't have children, but I know there is NO way I think I could have gone through what I have with children without them suffering some how because the drug will take over your life. You are already seeing signs of that. I know this is not what you want to hear. My suggestion is to come off them first. Try life without them mainly to see if the pain is manageable. WIth you being on pain meds, your tolerance for pain is way down. If you come off them and let your body build up its natural pain tolerance, you may find you don't need them. I wouldn't make the decision to stay on them while you are worrried about coming off, because in all probability, you will find a reason to stay on them because it is very hard to resist not when you want them. If you have been off them for a little while and find your pain is not manageable, then go back on them but be honest with your doc. Ask him to set limits. I had to tell my doc the truth and tell her to monitor me and never let me get out of control again. Trust me, it will save you a lot of pain and worry in the future. These pills are a God send when you are in pain, but there is a price to pay! They are like the devil! I wish I had NEVER had to take one because it is a battle every day now that I am detoxing. I am supposed to go down a level today, and I am struggling with it now. The feelings of guilt when you backslide, accompanied by worry that you are staying on your schedule are all part of this game if you choose to play because someday, you WILL have to stop taking them. If you have no time to DETOX now, you wont in the future either. There is never a good time to DETOX. I would taper now why you have the meds to do it. You already are starting to run out of your meds early which will lead to doctor shopping if your doc wont give you more or you will be forced to detox cold turkey. I would tell your doc now and ask him to taper you down. See someone during it about the addiction issue. THen have them both help you decide what to do later. THat is my opinion. I am sure others will have theirs. Good luck!!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hi there. I can only imagine how hard it is to go off pain meds when you have a legitimate pain problem. Have you seen a pain management dr? Since you take them for pain but also enjoy them, you know you cannot stay on them forever. Maybe there are some non-addictive pain meds you can take along with physical therapy? You will have to detox off of the pain meds. Taper, taper, taper - less every day and prolong the first one of the day. It will be hard going to nursing school and raising kids. I may be mistaken, but don't hospitals do drug testing before hiring? You need to be clean by the time you start a nursing job. You will be doling out meds that you'll have to handle and resist the urge to take. I hope you can find a good resolution to your addiction and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Best wishes!
JB

Closed Thread