It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

wintersolstice HB User
starting suboxone Wed. Need Support Please...

So, yeah. I am beginning my suboxone induction on Wed. Feeling kinda crazy at the moment. Excited, hopeful, nervous, I have a giant knot in my stomach. If you all wouldn't mind sharing some stories with me about getting started, tips, etc... I would really appreciate it. I am feeling a bit alone at the moment. Thanks in advance...

Old 10-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: starting suboxone Wed. Need Support Please...

Hey Winter,
I've never used suboxone but if you've read some of the threads on this board alot of people rave about it. From what I've read about it, you will not go thru physical withdrawal. May even feel high the first few times you use it. I think it sounds like a great tool to get you off the drug you're addicted to but not a cure all for addiction. You may still crave your drug and will eventually have to taper off of the sub. but it allows you to function rather than go thru the withdrawal. You are doing the right thing - taking a step to stop your addiction. Best Wishes for a smooth transition.
JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
(female)

wintersolstice HB User

Even more than the sub, I am looking forward to the counseling. I feel like I need to get to the root of all of this before it will be possible for me to really move on. On top of my chronic depression, I have PTSD, as well as rage and anxiety issues. And that was before the opiates, lol. I am feeling hopeful and nervous and basically completely mixed up right now. My doctor told me not to use after 6pm, which is rapidly getting closer, so things are starting to get pretty real to me right now. I may be hanging out here quite a bit this evening. Thanks for the support granny

Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
(male)

TideAlumni HB User

I started last week. Believe me, the worst part is the 24-48 hours of withdrawals that you need to be in from your other drug/med that you are getting away from.

I went just 24 hours, maybe 26, before I started the Suboxone. I wasn't in full, knock down drag out withdrawal, but I did have the craving and physical feeling of missing a dose.

It took about an hour to kick in but after that things were great. The first day and the first dose or two you will feel a slight high, nothing major, but you will notice. At least I did. It wasn't really a high, more like a calming feeling that you get with opiates I suppose.

After that day things went good. No withdrawals at all. I had the occassional urge to take a dose of my old pain meds, but even then it was nothing major and probably more from physical/mental habit than anything else.

Overall I am very pleased with it.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
(female)

wintersolstice HB User

Thanks TA. I m wondering of the 18 hour gideline that my doc gave me was generous enough? I know I will be in WDs by then, but will it be enough? Can they tell? I REALLY dont want to get PWDs. That would be awful.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
(male)

loopman HB User

Hey Winter,

First of all, GOOD LUCK today. I won't bore you with my past, but I have been hanging around this board 3 years or so. I started on sub 10 weeks ago and it has been a life savior. Immediately, I felt like I was back to my old self. This is only half the battle. The sub let's you think straight so you can lay out a game plan. It's great that you are looking forward to counseling. If you need to talk, let me know.

Take Care,
Loop

Old 10-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersolstice View Post
Thanks TA. I m wondering of the 18 hour gideline that my doc gave me was generous enough? I know I will be in WDs by then, but will it be enough? Can they tell? I REALLY dont want to get PWDs. That would be awful.
Mild to moderate withdrawls. You will know . Just wanted to say Good Luck !!! I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your treatment. Just remember to take it slow and keep posting. Get some outside support to help you attack the addiction part of the disease, sub is only one tool needed for a successful recovery.
You are going to be just fine !!!!!

Hugs,

Michelle

Oh !!! I just noticed that it IS after Wed !! How did it go?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:07 AM   #8
(male)

mgc000 HB User

i might be able to give a little insight... i've been on suboxone for about 7 weeks. i started at 8mg a day 2 times the first week and then tapered down 2 mg every week for a few weeks. it was pretty easy tapering until i got around 2mg mark and had to go back on 2mg for an extra week because about the 3rd day clean i was in emotional turmoil about losing my job over it. the last week i went down to 1mg instead for a week and the last 2 days i took .5 mg to hopefully help with adjusting to the withdraws. so i'm in day 2 right now no sub. i had some mild shakes and clonidine helped(make sure you get this when you come off sub, and take it at night/ or day if you stay home) but so far nothing i can't deal with and work in a hot kitchen. just like a minor cold or such and some achey bones and strange dreams... one was of a doctor uping me on my mg and saying i had to take it for life and i threw the pill at him and said f*** your goverment controlled drugs, no more money from me lol. i guess those are my true thoughts coming out.

but good luck and i'll let you know how it goes in the next few days... we need to see more success stories posted!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

JJC81 HB User

First of all, know how lucky you are that a doctor was available for you. It can be so hard, as you may have found, to find a provider...I started suboxone treatment while in inpatient rehab about five months ago. I can honestly say i believe god helped to get me where i am today. I have been adddicted to opiates for 8 yrs..I started at vicodin and progressed all the way to heroin. I got into a methadone clinic and was there for 2 yrs.. Was too easy to abuse methadone, not to mention all of the familiar using buddies in the lines every single day. Now, I only have to go see a doc. once a month to get my script and i stay involved with outpatient counseling and NA meetings. Life is awesome now, always better than it was. I def. suggest being involved in some kind of drug treatment program or attending meetings regularly. Not sure if it is a requrement where you are. We are addicts..it is too easy to turn to other drugs when opiate cravings are gone. I have been there. With the right mind and actions upon it, life can be good again. i wish you the best; it's a great drug to get you on your way to recovery. Be sure to post back on how you're doing and any particular questions.

Closed Thread