It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User
Starting anti depressant after nasty addiction

Hi all.

Some of you might remember me. I detoxed off of a nasty hydro, codeine, and dihydrocodeine habit about five months ago. Since then, I have relapsed a couple times, but only for short periods of time (prolonging the agony of detox, of course). I continue into sobriety today and will, hopefully, remain that way.

We all know about the crushing depression after opiate detox. At my last doctor visit, he prescribed Elavil (amitriptyline) 10mg for sleep, pain, and depression. Well, within days after I started taking them, the depression started to lift. I have more energy during the day, and I feel more "normal" than I have for a long time. This is weird because my body has never responded well to antidepressants. Why now?

This drug is NOT addictive, according to the doctor. He said that it is harder to keep patients on this drug than it is to take them off.

Has anyone else been prescribed this or other similar antidepressants after detox and had good results?

mk (mike)

Old 10-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Starting anti depressant after nasty addiction

Hey MK, I'm not familiar with the anti-depressant you are taking. I was on Paxil for a few yrs and then, went into major depression due to some sad things in my life but mostly because I ran out of hydrocode, My dr switched me to Cymbalta but once the dose went up (doubled after a week) I started having every side effect in the book. I'm am now weaning off the cymbalta (you can't just stop it) and starting a low dose of lexapro which dr will increase once I'm done my taper from the cymbalta. My depression is starting to lift but I still do not feel motivated to do much and have to force myself to do things I hate like housework, grocery shopping, cooking etc. I've been going to work everyday from the beginning of my withdrawal and that's about the only thing I really make myself do. I'm hoping the Lexapro, once increased will help. I hope that your new meds will continue to help with depression and keeping you clean.
Best wishes!
JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User
Re: Starting anti depressant after nasty addiction

Hi JB.

So far, I have been on this med for about a week. When you first take it, you get sleepy, so it is prescribed at bedtime. So far, the only side effect I have is in the morning: I feel drowsy for a couple of hours. However, once I'm up and about, the day goes pretty well.

I don't like the idea of being on an antidepressant for the rest of my life, but that lingering depression is a killer. It is, I believe, primarily the cause of my relapse.

I wish you the best of luck in your struggles.

Mike

Closed Thread