It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
(female)

lucy777 HB User
went off methadone

I generally post on the pain management board, but thought this board more appropriate for this... I have taken vicodin, motrin for the last 6 years. Started methadone a few weeks ago for pain management. Decided after reading all the posts regarding coming off of methadone and how horrible it is that I didn't want to continue. Quit all meds about 4 days ago. I feel like total crap. Not just pain, just feel wiped out and major depression. Anyone know how long this will last??? started anti depressent about 2 weeks ago as well. It is supposed to make me tired but it makes me feel wired????...any idea how long this will last???I feel wiped out but can't sleep?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User
Re: went off methadone

after two weeks go by you will feel almost back to normal.think how bad you feel after just a few weeks of methadone.try 10yrs and you can make that two weeks into two years.the longer on it the longer to get off it.if you are in extreme pain and disabled and cant function at all then you may need the methadone.its for pain.but if you are not that bad off and have some quality living to do stay off the methadone.good luck-spark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
(female)

lucy777 HB User

two whole weeks....feels like an eternity right now....thanks spark

Old 10-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

you are strong,you can do this if you really want to.the pain may not be as bad once you are clean and happy again/good luck-spark

Old 10-17-2007, 06:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Lucy

You are wired from withdrawal from the opiates. This is normal... crummy, but normal. It is going to take time for your body to adjust to not taking vicoden or methadone. Time.

It also takes 4-6 weeks for an antidepressant to fully kick in. An antidepressant does not "cure" withdrawal from opiates, but it can go a long way in helping to curb the depression that comes after withdrawal.

get as physical as you can to fight the withdrawal and depression. Physical activity is a key in any withdrawal and sure is always a big componenent in fighting any depression. Walk, dance, clean the house. Do whatever it takes to to calm down that wired feeling and fight the depression.

All good wishes
reach

Old 10-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Lucy,
here are some things you can try.

~ Rest as much as possible. Even if you can only sit down for a few minutes here and there, grab it.

~Immodium for diarrhea. Eat bland food and stay off dairy until your tummy settles down.

~Antacids-they seemed to take the edge off the burning in my stomach.

~Cheerios-I kept a baggy of them in my purse and munched on them to ease the queasiness.

~Heat bags/pads-helped with the aching joints and muscle spasms. Felt really good to lay one of those heated grain bags on my tummy or chest.

~Ice packs-use on the back of the neck for headaches.

~Ibuprophen-used for pain. Take with food and only if tummy can handle it. Be cautious of Tylenol if you took meds with it in it to excess.

~sunglasses/hat-for light sensitivity which triggered migraines. Lightly tinted glasses for the house. Reduce glare anywhere you can in your home.

~ear plugs-for noise sensitivity and to help sleep at night.

~music-soft, happy music seemed to distract me.

~TV/radio/internet-I made it a point to not watch or listen to anything negative on the media. I didn't read the paper for months. I read only as much positive media as I could.

~positive friends/family-I asked my very closest loved ones to indulge my need to let my nervous system rest and asked that they put anything negative on hold for a few months. That was hard to do, but very helpful.

~limited outings-I drove as little as possible and avoided crowds, stores to avoid getting sick to protect my stressed immune system.

~beta blocker-to reduce my high blood pressure.

~calcium/magnesium supplement-for calming the nerves a bit.

~ positive imagery-even at my most miserable, I tried to spend a few minutes each day imagining wellness and a happy life/whole body. I gave thanks each day for my life and for every day clean.

~blankies and pillows-I had them on the couch and bed-ready for moments when I could crash for a few minutes. I think flannel is especially soothing.

~tea-hot tea w/out caffiene helped soothe.

~water,water-drink enough water and soak in a warm bath or linger under a shower. helps with the achiness.

~sunlight-if my eyes weren't too sensitive, I went outside and let the sun get on my skin for a while-it does help the moods.

~anti-depressant-mine helped more than I realized! I tried detoxing off them,too, and felot really awful, so I went back on them and will stay on them for a while.

~gardening-once I was strong enough, I gardened and found that it was very calming and uplifting to my spirit.

~ noise reduction-my heart pounding in my ears constantly was noisy enough-I reduced the noise in my house as much as possible, whenever possible.

~relaxing the standards-I knew I wasn't going to be up to par for a while and learned to just forgive my messy self and home.

~aromatherapy-I slept with a little bag if lavandar seeds for months! For a while, my sense of smell was so acute that many odors were noxious to me, so I wore perfume I loved all the time to 'counter' the icky smells of the world.

~cotton-cotton sheets, blankets, clothes and jammies help during the sweats. Baby wipes for freshening up quickly. Whenever I changed the sheets, I thought about how they represented one more night of being clean. And how the sweat was my body's way of purging toxins.

Well, that's about all I can think of right now. My 'helps' were pretty basic, and evolved out of need.

Oh, and of course, check with your Dr. about any meds first!

Old 10-17-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

maggie0704 HB User

Hey Lucy,
Good deicision on stopping the Methadone before too much time passed. I was on it for about 7 months...and went into a rehab to come off it. I came off it very quickly in rehab (went from 30mg-0mg in 4 days) and it was hell on earth. But, I was also on it much longer than you.
The worst for me, was the extremem leg aching and sleeplessness and anxiety. But that got better within a few weeks. Hopefully yours won't last 1/2 as long bcuz you were only on for a short period of time.
But also, keep in mind that you were on an opiate PRIOR to the Methadone, so you will be withdrawaling from that opiate also.
Every person is different, but taking the right steps to make the process more comfortable is your best bet. Like taking the vitamins/minerals that are listed in the "home detox plan" on this board. And doing as much exercise as u can handle, even if it is a 10min. walk a day. It really helps you to sleep better at night and helps with the leg cramps.
I had extremem diahrrhea and fatigue from the diahrreha for the first 10 days, but i also wasn't taking any vitamins, and i was barely eating so i wasn't helping myself at all.
It will get better i promise you! You will begin to feel happiness and peace like you've never experienced before. God Bless....

Old 10-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
(female)

lucy777 HB User

thanks again to all for the helpful info. I was unaware that the wired feeling I had was WD's. It was awful. I can't imagine what it was like for those of you who were on methadone longer. How long will this feeling last? I hate it. My pain has returned full blown as well. As silly as it sounds I still have to know for myself that I can go without these medications and that they do not control me. I have to say, I was unprepared for how awful I would feel in addition to the pain no longer under control. Seems like such a horrible cycle...meds for pain...withdrawal if you don't take the meds. argh. I thought after the first 3-4 days I would feel better. I am on day 5 and I still couldn't sleep last night. I felt like I wanted to crawl right out of my skin all night. Is this also withdrawals? Maybe I will continue the anti depressent. I thought the horrible feelings I was having was from the antidepressent. Someone mentioned that you can have withdrawals from an anti depressent as well? Are the withdrawals the same? anyone know? I hope tonight is better..

Old 10-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hey Lucy,
Hang in there. The sleepless nights are part of the withdrawal. I went a week on only about 3 hrs sleep a night and had to go to work thru it all. I'm also on anti-depressants and I know those can affect your sleep also. Have you tried benedryl? Innocent antihistimine (sp) but can help you sleep and may help with the wanting to crawl out of your skin.
Best wishes, you're doing good, especially considering the pain you're in.
JB

Old 10-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
(female)

lucy777 HB User

Hey GrannyO,

I am going to try the benedryl tonight. I can not imagine going to work and feeling like this. I commend you. I have been off all week. Thanks for the tip.

Lucy

Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

Lucy have you tried to get in to a pain managment clinic ? It would hepl you deal with the pain better..

Old 10-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
(female)

lucy777 HB User

Yes, I went to a pain clinic last week. Took 6 years for a doctor to finally refer me to one. I explained to the Dr that I was feeling nervous about taking the methadone after all of the information I had found regarding withdrawals etc. He did not want to take me off of it since it was working so well. He explained to me about keeping my pain under control and having a good pain management program was important etc. I understood all of what he was explaining but I was still so uncomfortable taking this new drug that I came home and went cold turkey against his advice. I am sure I am not going to score any big points when I return next week and ask for something that works as good as the methadone but won't cause any withdrawals. You know..something that doesn't exist Seriously though, I am hoping there is something that I can take when I need it instead of taking something all the time weather or not I have bad pain or moderate pain. I am really not trying to be difficult, so I hope the doctor understands.

Lucy

Last edited by lucy777; 10-17-2007 at 09:24 PM.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #13
(male)

lewisfromsells HB User

wHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT STOP COLD TURKEY WITH THE ANTI-DEPRESSANTS. I tried that and it about killed me. I then did it over a month's time and it was alright. Just keep cutting the dose every week until you are off. It is still going to mess with your head as you go because it will give you some bad emotions. But hang in there and it will work. Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy777 View Post
thanks again to all for the helpful info. I was unaware that the wired feeling I had was WD's. It was awful. I can't imagine what it was like for those of you who were on methadone longer. How long will this feeling last? I hate it. My pain has returned full blown as well. As silly as it sounds I still have to know for myself that I can go without these medications and that they do not control me. I have to say, I was unprepared for how awful I would feel in addition to the pain no longer under control. Seems like such a horrible cycle...meds for pain...withdrawal if you don't take the meds. argh. I thought after the first 3-4 days I would feel better. I am on day 5 and I still couldn't sleep last night. I felt like I wanted to crawl right out of my skin all night. Is this also withdrawals? Maybe I will continue the anti depressent. I thought the horrible feelings I was having was from the antidepressent. Someone mentioned that you can have withdrawals from an anti depressent as well? Are the withdrawals the same? anyone know? I hope tonight is better..

Old 10-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #14
(female)

suziehomemaker1 HB User

I was on methadone for several years and had a hard time till my doctor tapered off the methadone and put me on suboxone. It took about a year reducing the suboxone a little at a time but was able to get off with the min of side effects and withdrawls. Be encouraged you will get there. I also found strength in God and Christian music which helped alot. Good luck and be blessed.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #15
(female)

lucy777 HB User

thanks for the helpful information. I don't need to add any more grief to my situation right now so I will stay on the antidepressants for now. But I will be sure and taper in the future. I think tapering in general would have been a better way to go all together but too late now! Think I have just the righ CD to play as well

Lucy

Closed Thread