It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
(female)

stupidinseattle HB User
Smile I need help with detoxing at home - desperate for info

I have been taking methadone for approx 8months. I started out at 20mg a day and then went up to 40mg a day. In the last few weeks I have gotten down to as little as 10mg a day but I am experiencing horrible w/d symptoms at only 10mg a day. I do not have a doctor to guide me through this. I got involved with the wrong person and he was giving it to me and I got hooked. I am ready to stop and I really want to, but I am just scared of the w/ds and how I can get through them. I cant tell my family because they do not even know I was involved with this stuff. I want to stop and get back on track before it is too late and someone finds out. I have never been on drugs in my life and I know that once I can get through the w/d I will be fine. I do not have the desire to get 'high'. It wasnt like that for me. I was in a lot of pain due to 3 blown discs in my lower back and a friend said, here try this and it helped. It never got me 'high' I was just using to control my pain. I havent had any pain for months but I dont know if it is because of the methadone or not beucase I have been taking it every day since. I want and need to stop. I want children in a year or so and I refuse to even think about that until I am clean for at least 6-8 months. I made arrangements to take a few days off work in a few weeks and my plan is to slowly taper until then and then stop a few days before that so I can use the time off to recover. I have clonidine and *****n to help me through this. My prob is I dont have a doctor who can say, take 1 methadone twice a day for a week along with 1 clonidine every 6-8 hours and 1 *****n at night. Then 2nd week take 1/2 methadone twice a day along with the clonidine and *****n. I am scared to just come up with a schedule on my own because I dont even know if I can take all of these 3 things together. I have done a lot of research on the internet and I am pretty sure I can take these things together, but I wanted some input from others who have maybe taken these meds together. Can I take the clonidine while I am still tapering off the methadone or do I have to wait until I am done with the taper to start taking it? I wasnt sure if you could mix the 2 together. And can I take clonidine with my *****n at night? I was also worried about any tapering I might have to do with the clonidine. If I only take it for a few weeks would I still have to worry about tapering off it? All of this just really scares me and I just want to get back to a normal life. If the back pains are too much for me to handle once I get off this stuff I can go to a doc and get help instead of getting the meds from a friend. That just scares me and I wish I never would have tried it to begin with. Any help that anyone can give me would be so appreciated. Even if someone has contact info to someone who can guide me with this process. Anything. Thank you so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
(female)

lucy777 HB User
Re: I need help with detoxing at home - desperate for info

I know all too well what you are going through. I too was put on methadone for chronic back pain. It did wonders for my pain. However, after educationg myself on the internet regarding this medication and its horrible withdrawals I decided I was uncomfortable taking it so I quit cold turkey. I was on 15mg a day at the time. I am pretty sure you can take the Klonopin but not positive. I think there are several other posts on this message boards that talk about it. (just type in Klonopin & withdrawals). I won't lie to you , the withdrawals were way more uncomfortable than I expected. It will definatly take more than 3 days! I did not feel ANY withdrawls until the 3 day in the evening. It felt like I wanted to crawl out of my skin. That is the best way to describe it. You will feel sweaty off and on and your legs will feel quite restless. But as I understand it the klonopin should help these symptoms. I didnt have any. There is also a detox natural remedy at the beginning of this message board. It worked great. I definatly recommend the multi vitamin(I used prenatal as it was stronger) and the B-complex. Very important! I could really feel a difference from taking these. Benadryl for sleeping helped too. I was unable to sleep the first 5 days or so. On day 6 and 7 I was able to finally sleep with the aid of benadryl. I started to feel more normal about day 6-7. You can do it. You sound determined. Log onto this message board when you need support. It did wonders for me and there alot of people with very good advice and support ( at all hours ) good luck and let me know how your doing .

Lucy

Old 10-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

wheninrome1313 HB User

What is the 3rd drug you asked about? Why is it bleeped out? (******n????)

Old 10-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
(female)

stupidinseattle HB User

I am not sure why it was ***** out. It is *****n. A*M*B*I*E*N. It is strange how this **** thing keeps *** it out. I wonder why??? It works wonders for my insomnia, which I also suffer from and have for over 10 years. I was just recently (last year) given this medication from my primary care doc and it has saved my life. I can sleep at night when before I would lay in bed for 4-5 hours before finally falling asleep. So Lucy - you were only on 15mg of methadone and you just did it cold turkey? Can I ask how long you were taking it? I have experienced w/d from other pain meds and I did experience all of those things, cramps, sweating, body aches, but it went away after 2-3 days. You think with the methadone it will be a lot longer? I was planning on stopping on a Tuesday. I was only going to take Thurs and Fri off from work and then go back on Monday. I thought that would be enough time. I can always extend it and stay home Monday also, but I really was hoping that it wouldnt take that long. I just dont want to have to go through all that stuff. I hate having to lie and say that I have the flu. It just isnt me. I cant wait to be off this stuff. I really cant. I wish I could just do it now and take off next week. But I have responsibilities at work that I cant get out of. Such is life.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
(female)

mystic777 HB User

I too am at home going through the same thing....differnt pain killer. I can tell you what really helps and that is ativan/lorezepam...you don't want to take it for very long it 2 can be addicitve but, it will make you sleepy and take the edge off. It can make you a little deprssd? Withdrawls are hell on earth. Been through them a few times. I will tell you that cloindine did not help me at all I am looking at the full bottle as we speak. It says it helps but it did not help me at all and was very expensive...Also valuim takes the edge off to alot. Never go cold turkey tryd that once not fun....about 14 days of hell try this website just to see what you will be expecting not to scare you but it should. They suck and there is no worse pain. I am serious when I say that the ativan/lorezepam does help....Cloinide waist of time I am talking from personal expierence. check this out it shows all the signs you should expect and for how long . hope that helps [url]http://www.addictionwithdrawal.com/methadone.htm[/url]

Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
(female)

stupidinseattle HB User

Thanks for the info. I am scared to be honest with you. I know I can handle it, I just dont want my family to find out what is going on. I was hoping that I could just take my a*m*b*i*e*n* for the first few days and just sleep it off. Do you think that would help? Did the clonidine make you sleepy? so many people have said that the clonidine helped them so much, but it didnt help you?

Old 10-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
(female)

stupidinseattle HB User

Also, what is that medication that you recommended? What can I say I need it for? I mean I cant really just go to the doc and request it, right? I really dont want to explain to my doc what is going on. Do you know if I went to like an out-patiend methadone clinic, would they help me and give me what I need to get off this and then send me on my way?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
(female)

lucy777 HB User

Klonodin never worked for me either. I too had a full bottle left over after it was prescribed awhile back. I would say that anything that helps you sleep is best. I have never tried *****n so I am not sure how well that would work. I just know that no matter what I tried nothing made me tired when withdrawals were at their worst.(72 hours after last dose of methadone).At first I thought what a breeze, wd's are a piece of cake. I had absolutely no problems the first 3 days. But do not be deceived! They hit me on the 3rd night. I felt tremendous anxiety. I have never had trouble with anxiety in the past. Ever. I personally only had a few really rough nights and then things started to get a little better. For some reason night time was the worst for me. Not sure why. Days were much easier as I would find small tasks to do to keep my mind occupied. I think if you could sleep through the first few rough nights then you will be well on your way??? . Taking the vitamin's made a huge difference.(especially B-complex for nerves and restoring energy.I could tell the difference right away. Drink plenty of fluids as well. Today is day 8 for me and I felt alot better. I too read "what to expect for withdrawals" and it helped me to know what I should expect and when. I was only on methadone for a short while. wonders for my pain, not so wondrous for its after effects Keep me posted. I am sure you will find alot of helpful information on this message board I think it would help you too if you started the vitamins BEFORE you take your last doses .

Old 10-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
(female)

stupidinseattle HB User
Smile Re: I need help with detoxing at home - desperate for info

I already started taking a prenatal vitamin and additional vit c and fiber tablets. The prenatal has lots of Vit b in it, but I will look into finding another supp to add to it. I also have started working out every day (running on the treadmill) and I changed my diet. Lots of fruits and veggies and protein. These were all things that said would help. A*m*b*i*e*n works awesome!! It literally knocks me out for 8-10 hours a night when I take it. I have been taking it for about 6 months and my refill is ready on the day before I take my last dose. = ) So I will be set with that for a month. I figure I will prob take it twice in a day just to sleep through the day if the w/d gets bad and then at night to sleep through it. I wonder if the w/ds are about the same as like w/d from percocet (sp?) cause if they are, then I know I can handle it. I have done it before from having surgery. I started on Saturday with taking on 10mg a day and havent had any w/d symptoms. A little lack of engery but that is about it. No pains or anything. Next week I am going to drop down to 5mg a day and maybe try and take it only every other day? Then on Nov6th I will be done!!!! I think that schedule isnt too fast. Do you agree? Day 8! That is awesome. That is pretty much over the bad times, I cant wait to be where you are!!! I just cant wait. Thank you so much for all your information. It has put me a little at ease.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
(female)

lucy777 HB User

It has been my experience that "tapering" is the better way to go. I tapered off of vicodin in the past and I never really had any withdrawals to speak of. This time though I went cold turkey off the methdadone. Not the way I would suggest for the future. I think you have done well by tapering already, included with the vitamin supplements and exercise I would say you are well on your way and should have an easier time of it. I went to the store this weekend (had a rough night on day 8 ) picked up a "total body cleanse" and I am feeling much better. It helps the toxins to leave your body much faster. I finally slept all night!Since A*m*b*i*e*n works so well for you I would say that is an added plus. I would have had a much easier time of it if I could have slept through the first 2-3 nights of withdrawals. So good for you. Let me know how it works for you and keep me posted how your doing I am think'n positive thoughts for you. I am sure you will do great. You seem determined and have a good mind set!

Lucy

Closed Thread