It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User
So sick of quitting.

In high school I had to stop taking speeders. Then I tried to quit smoking many times. I finally quit when I found out I was pregnant (age 31). Fell off the bandwagon when my son was 2 for about 3 months and then I had to quit again. Now I am realizing I am addicted to alcohol. I have to have a drink or 4 every night. I look forward to it. I gulp down the first drink. So, now I have to quit drinking. It it all so exhausting. Why do I have this addictive personality? How am I going to quit drinking and what will I become addicted to next?

Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: So sick of quitting.

Dear Rouge,
I wish I had an answer to your last question! I know addiction can run in families. My father was an alcoholic and my grandmother on my mothers side was addicted to ativan for 30 yrs. I have quit smoking many times but am currently a smoker. I just kicked a hydrocodone habit about 6 weeks ago. I am currently taking Lexapro for the depression and anxiety I have that escalated when I quit they hydro. I really want to quit smoking but just can't deal with that until I get adjusted to the Lexapro - still having side effects and have not been on it long enough to feel the full affects. It does seem like we are always quitting. BUT, rather quitting than not,right? You know what you need to do with the alcohol. Hopefully you have not been drinking long or lots to the point that you will get the DT's. I really have no advise about how to quit drinking. Does tapering help or is that impossible with alcoholics? Do some research. I have a friend who's wife is a full blown alcoholic and not only is she ruining her life, she is ruining his also. Your kids need a Mom who is sober and alert. Time to quit again, Rouge. Best wishes. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
(female)

wheninrome1313 HB User

I feel for alcoholics. I cannot imagine what my life would be like if my DOC was legal to buy without a prescription from any corner store and for cheap. I am very fortunate to get sick when I drink so I never have to worry about that. It sounds like you should get help for your addictive behavior from a counselor or a center that can at least offer you support and tips on how to get through life sober. I know it is possible, so hang in there!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

I don't think that I would get the DT's from quitting alcohol. I just had my
2nd baby and I was not drinking during my pregnancy. It's just that I feel I need a few glasses of wine every night once the kids are in bed. If I could only have 1 or maybe 2 then I would not be so concerned. It's just that I can and will drink a whole bottle. I sleep horribly due to the alcohol and I feel tired the next day. I am also addicted to the Internet. I will sit on the computer all day. I have to leave the house so I don't just sit down and start futzing on the computer. I should be playing with my son instead of having the baby on my lap and the computer in my face. When my DH gets home from work I sit on the computer and do what I am doing right now. -- Drinking wine and surfing the web. I suck!

Old 10-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hey Rouge. Has all this come about since you had your last baby. Are you feeling depressed. Kinda sounds like you might have post partum depression. I remember all too well what it was like with 2 little ones. When you finally get them to bed, it's your time. But you are not spending that time constructivly. You can find other ways of relaxing besides drinking the wine. Hot bath, good book, spend some time with your husband. Your spending so much time on the computer shows you don't have much motivation. I recently went thru a major depression going off of Hydrocodone. It's taken some time trying to get me on the right meds. I'm on Lexapro now for the past 10 days and I think it is starting to do it's job. I feel more like doing things now than I did when depressed. Please see your doctor about this. Maybe you would just need something like Paxil or Lexapro for a short time.
Wish you the best!
JB

Old 10-21-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
(female)

MerelyMe HB User

Hi Rouge,

Granny, I was thinking the same thing, plus having gone through the same thing, perhaps Rouge your feeling kind of "bogged down", it's an adjustment, going from one child to two.

Why not try, waiting until your DH gets home from work, hop in the car, all 4 of you, grab a couple of happy meals at the drive thru or even pack something from home and take the kids to the park for an hour or so, just GET OUT of the house all 4 of you, both you and your DH can spend some fun times with the kids, this way it's both of you sharing the load of watching and entertaining the little ones.

I know a few friends that "USE" a few glasses of wine to "de stress" from a day with the kids, it's awesome that you have seen where that can lead and are willing to take the steps to stop it, at this point in the game.

we are ALL here for you

Still
Me

Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

hi rouge --I am in the EXACT same boat as you. I call it a RUTT. I am weaning off a Hydro habit, but I also enjoy the few drinks every night (1-4 sometimes) and I surf the net. Its my way to relax, (so I tell myself). I plan on switching it up, once I taper off this pill crap. Be more active at night. Buy a treadmill and walk while you watch a show or plan a MOVIE NIGHT and Plan a game night. There are some many things we can do and WE OWE it to our kids to be part of their lives and enrich them with as much stuff as we can when they are awake. Lets do this together.

Closed Thread