It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

Sweetie31 HB User
Question Em...and others?? How does the Clonidine help w/d's?

Hey, I read Em's post...she stated the clonidine helped w/d's by 80%?? Was this all the way off the meds? Or during the tapers too? How does it help- what symptoms does it help with? During day or night only?

Just curious........

Old 10-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User
Re: Em...and others?? How does the Clonidine help w/d's?

Hi Sweetie,

How are you? I hope you're doing well.

About Clonidine - It helped me about 80%!!!!!!!! Keep in mind that everyone is different so you may find it helps less, perhaps even more, you never know.

I suffered from some very horrible w/d's and kept relapsing. I just couldn't do it, so I turned back on my recovery and bought more drugs. I got severely depressed - since I was only hurting myself - broke down and told my doctor. I told him how BAD I wanted to be clean but I just couldn't handle with w/d's.

He told me about clonidine. I decided to give it a try, but was not very optimistic. The first day, in fact about 30 minutes after I took it, I felt SO MUCH BETTER!!!

Colidine helps (me) with the chills, sweats, restless legs, fatigue and the shakes. I could NOT believe that a simple pill that helps with high blood pressure could help SO much with my w/d's.

Please just keep in mind that we are different, our addictions and our recoveries. I would feel horrible if you got very optimistic about this, yet it didn't work for you.

Good luck and please come back to let me know if it worked. Also, one more thing to mention - I normally have low blood pressure (BP) so I get really dizzy sometimes, especially when I get up (from sitting too long) too fast. Sometimes, I have to hold on to something, as this pill drops my BP even more. So just be careful

Love and hugs,
emsmom

Last edited by emsmom; 10-20-2007 at 08:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
(male)

Crohns30 HB User

Clonodine just makes you tired. And it made my heart beat irregular. Once i stopped I was fine

Old 12-21-2007, 06:02 AM   #4
(male)

Lou1 HB User

You may not have withdrawal from discontinuing clonidine, but I did have to taper off of it gradually. Being a blood pressure medication, when I stopped the clonidine, I got terrific headaches...the kind where you feel like your head is going to explode. I went to the pharmacist and he had me take my blood pressure. It was 180 over 130. I normally have perfect blood pressure (in the range of 110 over 70)..but my body was reacting to the sudden cessation of clonidine in my system. So, I had to go back on it. The headache cleared in a very short period of time. I had been prescribed the patch form of clonidine...my doctor said the patch maintains a more even level of the drug in your system. So, when I was ready to stop the clonidine (after all the detox withdrawals were gone), I simply left the clonidine patch on and let it gradually run out of the medication. At that point, I was fine.

Lou

Closed Thread