It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
(female)

kats#5 HB User
What happens to a person who drinks mouth wash

What happens to a person who drinks mouth wash instead of regular alcohol

Old 10-22-2007, 04:14 AM   #2
(female)

wheninrome1313 HB User
Re: What happens to a person who drinks mouth wash

This is my reply to the same question from someone else last week:

Listerine has 26.9 % which makes it 54 proof and also contains some other alcohol-like compounds (eucalptol and thymol) that are mildly toxic, and some other ingredients--all of which give the liver a workout. The term they use is denatured which makes it sound like they take out of alcohol whatever's normally in it that gets you drunk, but in fact all they do is put other stuff in to make it undrinkable and in some cases poisonous. "Specially denatured alcohol" such as that used in Listerine can cause blindness, organ damage, and death when injested in large quantities or in small quantities over time.

I hope you aren't drinking mouthwash. I don't know why anybody would do this. I have heard people do this when it is Sunday and you can't my liquor and you are desperate, or underage. I an any case, it is more toxic than straight liquor from the store, and can cause you big problems so don't do it, it is not worth it.

Oh and if it is about money remember, Vodka on sale at the supermarket is $9.99 per 1.75 liters, or 1.4 cents per milliliter of alcohol. A one-liter bottle of Listerine original can be had for $5.19, or 1.9 cents per milliliter of alcohol. So if you're chugging mouthwash thinking, it's not Vodka, but I'm saving money for grad school-- think again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

Wheninrome, I have read a lot of your posts, and you are hilarious!! LOL Plus you give very good advice, in a way that it's easy to understand.. The advice you gave to the guy on crack was perfect.. I'm on sub, been on it for 3 weeks.. now at 10 mgs a day.. getting ready to go down to 8. It scares me every time I get ready to taper, but I just have to remember fear is something that can be overcome..

And in regards to the mouthwash?? It can really hurt you, and will not make you feel very well.. so don't drink it!

g8trgrl

Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
(female)

wheninrome1313 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8trgrl15 View Post
Wheninrome, I have read a lot of your posts, and you are hilarious!! LOL Plus you give very good advice, in a way that it's easy to understand.. The advice you gave to the guy on crack was perfect.. I'm on sub, been on it for 3 weeks.. now at 10 mgs a day.. getting ready to go down to 8. It scares me every time I get ready to taper, but I just have to remember fear is something that can be overcome..

And in regards to the mouthwash?? It can really hurt you, and will not make you feel very well.. so don't drink it!

g8trgrl
Thank you! I try to give my 2 cents when I can, I know people here have helped me a lot so I want to do what I can. What are you on Suboxone for may I ask? I am seeing a lot of people are having success with it. I think if I didn't have a doc working with me on a taper I prob would be on it myself. I am doing a taper at about 10% every 2 weeks sometimes every week if I can handle it. Cutting back each tims is hard but it gets easier. I am almost half way over and am feeling good so keep it up, it is worth it. Try and set a best case scenario goal and a worse case scenario goal so you have a little room to fall back without beating yourself up too bad but at least have some kind of plan to keep on track. i don't know if they allow you that wiggle room when on suboxone though. Best of luck!!

Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

I replied to your suboxone question also. I was on Lortab for 3 years due to a bad car accident that messed up my neck and back. Then switched to methadone when the lortab wasn't cutting it anymore. I'm telling you, methadone is the devil's drug! Withdrawals from that are hell. That is great that you can taper from the opiates w/ out going on sub. If I could've, I would have. And the fact that you're feeling good is a blessing. Good luck to you as well!

Closed Thread