It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

bobbie11sox HB User
withdrawals

I have a friend who takes morphine and dilaudid for pain management after back surgery. She is now stopping these meds cold turkey, is that safe?

Last edited by bobbie11sox; 10-27-2007 at 05:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User
Re: withdrawals

why is she stopping them cold turkey?that is crazy unless she has only took them for a week or two and never been an addict.we need more info on your friend to be able to offer good sound advice.tell her to read the boards for about a full week and then if there are any questions let us know.good luck-spark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

bobbie11sox HB User

She has been taking them for two years and feels she is addicted. They want her to stay at a pain management place for a week, but she does not want to go. She also has high blood pressure.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

Yes it is safe as long as she is not also on other meds and does not have heart problems. It really is just the best way to do it. Just do it and get it out of the way. People who are addicts to pain meds always try to find an easier softer way but there is not really one. Only things that help temporarily control their addictions or post pone the withdrawls. She will feel like crap physically for 4 to ten days and not feel normal for a few months after that because she is so used to having them in her system but eventually she will feel normal again not using anything on a daily basis. There really is no better way than to just stop.....no methadone....no sub....no taking the dose down for months. It does help a little to take the dose down over a wk or two to make it a little easier. Like if she takes three a day maybe start winging down for a wk or two and then just tough out the wk of feeling uncomfortable. I was on kemo for while and I used to be addicted to opiates big time about six yrs ago. Anyway along with the kemo came a lot of body pain. I had to take....or I suppose I choose to take the pain pills offered to me by my doctor. They helped a lot. I was worried about myself. Anyway I winged myself down for like five days and then gave them away. I did not feel very good but when it was over it was over and what a difference from the old days. I knew that I just had to tough it out for five to ten days or so and I would be fine and I was. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

bobbie --is that plattsburgh NY --I am very close to you. Let me know if you need help finding a meeting or anything for your "friend"

O

Closed Thread