It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
(male)

Javalina Jim HB User
Alcohol withdrawls

I have been under a lot of stress lately. I lost my house of 15+ years, moved into a trailer in the country and have no way to support my family at this time. I have always drank too much, but lately, I depend on it more and more to get through my day. I try to stop but the physical and anxiety effects just make my crazy. Is there any way to stop without all of these effects? Prozac or something else to make it easier? Thanks.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
(female)

cantdoitanymore HB User
Re: Alcohol withdrawls

If you want to stop, go to your doctor of counselor. Tell him or her he truth, you drink too much, you are having withdrawals, but you want to quit. The recommended treatment for alcohol detox is guarded doses of benzos like valium, etc which will help prevent seizures, stroke, or other dangerous effects of alcohol withdrawal. Many docs prefer that you detox in a medical facility so any problems can be addressed. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. I have heard of doctors actually recommending that you don't stop drinking cold turkey.

Fortunately, unlike many other drugs, the severe physical withdrawal symptoms of alcohol are relatively short lived. The anxiety generally only lasts less than 24 hours. Of you can get through it, then next problems you will have to contend with are sleeplessness, possible brain "zaps", and feeling like you have balance problems. They are all pretty minor and easy to deal with compared to the initial symptoms.

A close friend of mine in college was an addict. I know so much because I helped her through withdrawals from alchohol and opiates on several occasions. Unfortunately, she couldn't get out of its grip and died last year at the age of 29 from sudden total liver failure occurring from mixing alcohol with large doses of acet. from hydrodrocodone.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

Poo2 HB User

Yes please seek outside help. Alcohol withdrawl can be deadly w/o the help of a doctor or other professional. Good luck to you.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
(female)

Kattie43 HB User

My sister-in-law was taken to the hospital by ambulance just last week because she tried to quit alcohol cold turkey. She was a heavy heavy drinker for years. Her son found her on her bed having a seisure. We almost lost her. So please be very careful quitting cold turkey without a doctor being aware.

Closed Thread