It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User
NA meeting question

Could anyone let me know more info about these meetings. I searched for a meeting on the NA site and there are not many in my area, but these were listed in the town next to me. one was "Beginner/Newcomer, Step " --what is that ? is that only NA or is it all addicts? I am nervous to go in the first place. I feel this is a very important in my recovery. It is one aspect that I have not done or tried and i have relapsed 5 times. This could be the key.

O

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User
Re: NA meeting question

NA is narcotics anonymous, but you will find that NA, AA and CA are pretty interchangeable. I am a recovering addict, but mostly go to AA meetings. Where I am there aren't many NA meetings and so AA works just as well for me.

There are different type of meetings. I will give you a brief list and a brief explanation of each.

Discussion meeting - A topic is selected and you go around the room and each person speaks a little. Of course no one HAS to speak. A lot of people especially at first just like to listen.

Speaker meeting - Someone with a lot of time in the program speaks to the group. He/she tells what it was like for them when they were using, how they came to the program and what it is like for them now.

Step meetings - Each step is discussed over a period of 12 to 24 meetings. I found these meetings wonderful as I worked the steps.

Beginner meetings - These meetings focus on newcomers to help them understand the program.

Some meetings are OPEN which means anyone can attend. Some are CLOSED and are "restricted" to addicts/alcoholics.

Try not to be nervous. Everyone there has been where you are now. No one will judge you no matter how many times you have relapsed. It takes longer for some people than it does for others.

I honestly believe that I would be dead right now if not for the program and the people there. I couldn't have done it by myself and to this day I find strength and serenity in those meetings. I have people who care about me just for me and they don't want anything from me. I couldn't say that when I was actively using.

I hope you decide to go. For a lot of addicts it is the most important step you will take in getting and staying clean.

Sorry this is so long. I hope I've answered your questions and helped a little. Good luck!

Lizzie

Last edited by Lotty667; 10-29-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

where abouts in n.y do you live?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules3 View Post
where abouts in n.y do you live?
Jules --i would love to say and have battled with that for years. What i mean is I would like to keep that confidential. I would love to meet all of you that are close, hell, I would fly to meet REACH!!! But for now, I live in upstate NY in a little small town with NO RESOURCES.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
(female)

percproblem HB User

Unforuntaly if you live in a small town, and you are worried that if you go you will see people you know. You will.. But just as much as you don't want them to talk about you, they are just as nrevous about you talking them.
Thats why all meetings are CONFIDENTIAL.
But if you still feel funny you can go to one a town over.

And if there are no close ones to you, there are Sunday meetings that you would be able to drive to in an hour and be home earlier enough to not have killed your whole day.

I went to some AA meetings judt to see if i would like it. But i didn't feel like the topic was interchangeable. I need to go again, but i would try to find the NA meeting this time.

Otherwise, I hope you are doing good.
And i hope you have a wonderfuk Tuesday..

Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

pk we live right outside of the city in n.y about 30 miles away..so there are lots of meetings around here, pick 1 and just go,,they will make you feel welcome that i know for a fact. smalls towns will have small meetings or maybe you might have to drive to the next town..whatever, it is well worth it.

Closed Thread