It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User
Need advice on taper - does anyone have suggestions or comments?

Hello everyone,

Here's my dilemma...

I am still tapering my meds - near the end, but going very slowly now (doctors' advice). Well, I have another health issue, and I'm throwing up profusely from other meds I am taking as well. I haven't been able to keep down much at all (even ensure and smoothies) so my doctor gave me a suppository (strong anti-nauseant). The suppository was helping somewhat, however I still can't keep much down.

My doctor switched me today from 60 mgs of Oxycontin to the equivalent dose of Morphine (in the form of a suppository)...cause I kept throwing up my percocets and oxy's. I haven't picked up my prescription yet, but will do so pretty soon.

Has anyone else ever had to do a switch like this? Will it work in terms of my taper and w/d's? I am aware morphine is also an opiate however, I'm worried that I am messing with my taper.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions - please let me know. I'm really worried about this switch, and hope to God it doesn't mess with my taper - I've been doing so well.

Thanks in advance,
emsmom

Last edited by emsmom; 11-01-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
(female)

bridgetmark HB User
Re: Need advice on taper - does anyone have suggestions or comments?

emsmom,

I think this should be ok. I think he just had to change to the Morphine because the other doesn't come in suppository form. Even if they are slightly different forms of opiates, as long as he is keeping you on equivilant dosages, your taper should remain on track. And you have the power within you to get it right back on track if it gets a little off, this is not your fault. You poor thing, I don't know what you are going through, and you certainly don't have to tell anything more than you want to, but I will say a little prayer for you.

Bridget

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

ems,
I'm so sorry!! It just seems like one thing after another for you.. And I agree with Bridget, as long as it's the same mgs than it won't mess with your taper. I'm praying for you, sweetie. The main thing for you is to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

g8trgrl

Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Thanks to you both,

Yes, its been tough, however I'm trying to stay positive. I have two little girls who need me right now, so I try my best. The worst part of it all is when they see me getting sick - sometimes I don't have a choice

I was just worried that switching to a new drug would mess with my taper, but you've both reassured me so thanks

All the best,
emsmom

Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

i think you are going to notice a big difference in the morphine vs. the oxycontin.if it is real time release oxycontin that you have been tapering down from,then the morphine that the dr switched you to will not last near as long between doses.4hrs max is all you are gonna get out of the morphine vs. 8hrs with the oxy.you will probably go into w/ds between doses now where you werent with the oxy.but stay on the morphine if you can it is much easier to come off of than the oxy.the morp. is a short acting drug and oxy is time release,much harder to get off of.you will have a rough 2-3days but then you will adjust to the phine and taper off that.once you get down to a low dose of phine switch over to hydrocodone for awhile,then switch to darvocet for a few days then you are done.good luck-spark

Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hey spark,

Thanks for the info. I'm a little nervous to make the switch. I couldn't start it yesterday, as my pharmacy is having a hard time finding the morphine in a suppository. So as of now, I'm still taking the oxy's and perks, but I'm throwing up SO much that I have no idea how much I'm actually getting. I am having some pretty bad w/d's but I'm trying to look at it in a positive way - I'll be tapered down more by the time I get the mophine.

I was thinking it would be different but my doctor said he'll match the mg's. Still, its a different drug. I must say, I am somewhat happy that you mentioned morphine being easier to get off of. I guess I will have w/d's from the switch, but if I'm prepared, it shouldn't be too bad, right?

Time will tell...

I have printed out a copy of the "sample home detox" and will read it for help. I am going away for a few days once I make the switch - so I am not experiencing w/d's in front of my girls. Thats the last thing I want - to take this all out on them.

I thought, when I get down to a low dose on the morphine, I'll just take one or two percocets for a week, then drop altogether. What do you think about that? Good idea? Bad idea? I just want to be done with this, and think the morphine will perhaps do me some good. I'm scared though. I assume this is a natural reaction.

Anyhow, thanks again for the info. Take care, and talk to you soon.

emsmom

Old 11-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

yes when you get down to a low dose of phine by all means you can take a percocet for a few days and jump with them.only percocet,no oxys or time release pills at all.have you tried some phernagan for the upchucking?might help might not,dont know what is causing all that,dont sound like w/ds to me but it could be.food poisen?flu?maybe?dont know.

also be afraid be very afraid about what you are going thru and remember it so that once you are clean{and you will be} you will not ever do this again.this is by far the hardest thing that you will do in your lifetime.but you will do it.good idea to go away during the worst of it,2weeks would be better but i know it is hard to stay away that long.also if you are taking the meds by way of suppository then the throwing up will not effect the meds at all.it would be absorbed straight into the blood stream.ask dr about some clonidine when you go away,also ask about a couple weeks supply of a new drug called provigil.he might be willing to scribe these short term.ive also heard that the drug naltrexone in pill form taken after detox helps the brain to heal and help control cravings.write these down and ask dr on next appointment.good luck-spark

Old 11-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hey spark,

Thanks again. You seem to have alot of knowledge about all this. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your suggestions. I have an appt. on Wednesday - and will mention those two drugs. I'll also do my own research on the web to see exactly what they are, and what to expect from them.

Regarding throwing up so much - I have uterine cancer (was diagnosed about two months ago) so all the meds I'm on are really upsetting my stomach. I have another suppository to help with the vomitting (Semitil - anti-nauseant) however, it doesn't seem to work as well as I'd hoped. I have started to think I may have an ulcer (on top of everything else!) cause I have horrible heartburn all the time and a pain in my stomach (not intestines, upper stomach). Anyhow, after researching all my symptoms, my husband and I came up with an ulcer, potentially. So, I'll be tested for that next week. Something's gotta be going on, cause I can NOT stop throwing up. Its horrible. I am only 31 years old, yet feel like I'm 75. This is ridiculous. I am at my wits end!!!

I currently have clonidine - I take 0.1 msgs/3-4 times a day (max dose allowed for me is 8 times a day but I haven't had to reach that point yet). I've found the clonidine helps tremendously however, being that it is a med to "lower" blood pressure, I am having some difficulties with it. I currently suffer from low blood pressure as it is, so I get profusely dizzy for about an hour after I take it. If I'm laying down (on my bed or couch) I have to get up really slowly and hold onto something, or I'll pass out. Its scary, but the alternative is way worse (sever w/d's)...make sense?

I do need some clarification on something - I'm rather excited to make the switch to morphine (from Oxy's) however, you said to "be very afraid" of what I'll be going through. Essentially, what I'd like to know is - What exactly is the difference from switching, to just dropping cold turkey? If morphine is different, am I not just dropping one addiction for the other? I'll assume the morphine will help, in terms of w/d's from the Oxy's however, I'll have to taper from the morphine as well, no?

My doctor made it seem like everything will be the same (regarding my taper and w/d's) cause he is matching the mg's blah blah blah. It seems to me as though I'll still suffer horribly from not having the oxycodone (percocet, ocycontin) in my body, even though I'm replacing it with another opiate.

It just doesn't make much sense to me. If I'm going to suffer anyhow, wouldn't it be more realistic to just stop altogether? According to you, I'm thinking not. I'm a little confused. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Have a great weekend spark, and please keep in touch.

Thanks a bunch!
emsmom

Old 11-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

what i meant by be very afraid,you said in one of your posts that you were afraid of the whole w/d,detox,soberiety thing and this is what i was refferring to.i was wanting you to be afraid of the whole process and remember it so you dont mess up like me and keep doing it.it gets harder every time you go thru this crap and ive heard that it is hard on our heart and could make it enlarged over time due to the stress.dont worry to much about the switch in meds.you might feel bad for a couple of days in the transition but it will even out.

about the clonodine i dont think you need to take it until you are off all opiates and into full w/ds.when we are in full w/d our blood pressure goes up and it makes the clonidine work better for w/ds.right now your bloodpressure is normal to low and add clonidine to it and it goes to low to function.ask the dr about it,see what they say to do.

depending on your situation if you have to work and be up for something every single day then you need to taper as low as you can and still be able to work and take care of family.if you dont have to work and can get away anytime you want to then by all means go ahead and stop and go cold turkey.it is the quickest way to get it over with.no matter how long or how low you taper down there will still be some w/ds at the end no matter what.the taper does help in the severity of it,but like i said if you can do it tomorrow then go for it.you have the clonidine,take it with you and get this over with.might not be as bad as you are thinking.the only reason for a taper is if we have to hold a job down during all this and there is always something that we have to do everyday.you are not on a lot of opiates as it is so i dont think you will have it to bad.give it two weeks and you will be over the worst of it and feeling better.its up to you whether or not to keep tapering or get it over with.weigh them both and decide this weekend and start making plans to get the ball rolling.good luck-spark

Old 11-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Thank you very much spark,

I'll stick with my taper, see how the morphine goes and save the clonidine for the end. I have two addiction doctors I am working with, and they both suggested clonidine (I felt the w/d's from the taper were too much) but at the same time, I think you're right. I should feel the w/d's so I NEVER do this again.

I've relapsed about 5-6 times, and again you're right - each time I get back on my taper, its worse!! Much worse!!

I hope the morphine switch goes well - I'll keep everyone posted.

Have a great weekend,
emsmom

Closed Thread