It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
(male)

bellagio455 HB User
Almost 1 year of cocaine

Hey everyone,

I am almost at a year of sobriety off of a long stint of cocaine use. I am afraid as the holidays are coming around as depression usually hits and it will be my first season sober as far back I can remember. Anyone else going through this?

Thx

Old 11-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Almost 1 year of cocaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagio455 View Post
Hey everyone,

I am almost at a year of sobriety off of a long stint of cocaine use. I am afraid as the holidays are coming around as depression usually hits and it will be my first season sober as far back I can remember
Dear bellagio,

From what you posted, either you stopped using during the holiday season or shortly afterwards.

I cannot tell if something major in your life transpired, thus creating a need to take stock but if there was, do not forget the very thing that led you to stop using.

The holiday season can bring up a lot of emotions as it is generally associated with loved ones in a "family and/or friends" type of setting; those present and remembrance of those dearly departed.

If you are still around those who are using, stay clear, as they may try to sway you into their own brand of "celebrating" that with it, has the potential to place people in jail for the holiday season (or any season, come to think of it).

If you go to meetings, talk to your sponsor and try going to more meetings during this time of year.

On the other hand, if you are not pursuing that avenue, try staying close to positive people and celebrate the fact that you are free of this substance.

One thing though; never feel that you have taken the bull by the horns and can reasonably go back to using; just once could set off a spiral of more than economic proportions, if you get my drift.

As I always say,"when in doubt, post it out."

Take care.

Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Bellagio, short for Bella, beautiful

Bella, I just realized since it is almost one year for you, you gave yourself the most precious gift of them all! Life. What a great New Years Resolution! What a great holiday gift! What an awesome feat! I am proud of you.

Depression is common around the holidays, do not go it alone. Do you have friends or family you can share your fears with and spend time with? Do you have nieces, nephews or children of friends you can bake with? Can you create new memories to take the place of the bad?

I have had bouts with depression in my years, depression is lonliness and bad memories, you have to replace the bad memories and not allow the lonlieness to creep into your bones. I love what Phoenix said "when in doubt, post it out."

cram315

Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 AM   #4
(female)

Sodapop68 HB User

Hang in there!!! One day of use will cause you a lifetime of pain. One day without use will bring you a lifetime of joy. The difference a day can make.
I am a recovering crack addict, 10 years sober. Recently, I have been going thru a battle with a family member who is now using. Family will not listen to me when I tell them what's going on in my sister's life. I, unfortunately, been there done that. I totally fear she is going to kill herself. However, I have been having withdrawal symptoms. I am depressed over the situation, and I am having urges again. It's been 10 long years since I "danced with the devil". But, no matter how strong the urge...I REFUSE to ever go back there. I am so proud of how I turned out after I quit. I am now an honest, trustworthy person. I love myself today. LIFE IS SO MUCH SWEETER LIVING CLEAN AND SOBER!

Closed Thread