It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #1
(male)

imadeamistaka HB User
New Here, First day without ultram and starting to taper Oxy

Thanks for your help ahead of time!
I have had chronic pain since 93 and have been thru most of the drug line.
I just had a spinal cord stimulator implanted three weeks ago so now it is time to taper. I have been on extended hydrocodone for years with others on top. I have tapered off of the ultram from six a day to none but my pm doc switched me from extended oxy to 5-325 /three a day. Today went OK, felt like crap but tonight I only slept and hour and a half and I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin! I took a 5-325 and an elevil and I have settled down. I had planned to do three a day for several days and then start breaking the pills in half and go from there down. I almost went back and started taking the old meds again. I wish I would have read more of the post here before I started Is this workable or am I nuts!! I could scream right now!! I stopped cold turkey many years ago so I have an idea whats ahead. I cant work yet and I have a son in college, one in high school and a wonderful wife who puts up with my crap Thanks for letting me vent and for your suggestions.
Jeff

Old 11-06-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User
Re: New Here, First day without ultram and starting to taper Oxy

hey -welcome-- a new night owl? I am not, but I cant get back to sleep. I am in the middle of a home detox and the WD's are keeping me awake. I am going to try and shut my eyes again. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. We are here for you. (not too much this late) but a whole bunch during the day.

O

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2007, 01:24 AM   #3
(male)

imadeamistaka HB User

Thanks for the welcome, I am pretty wired but I'm going to try and get some sleep.
Jeff

Old 11-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
(female)

Missy14 HB User

How much long acting oxy were you taking? You're only on 15mg a day now which is a really low dose. It's possible you've tapered way too fast. How is the spinal stimulator working? You may want to take half every 4 hrs instead of 1 every 8 hours just to keep some oxy in your system. I'd see if you can start the taper a little higher. it really depends on where you were when you switched.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
(male)

imadeamistaka HB User

Missy,

Thanks for your reply, I really feel like crap, cold chills,want to throw up.
I was on 300mg of Ultram, 200mg Celebrex and 20mg extended Oxy and 5-325 when needed. I am off everything but the 5-325, took 20mg yesterday.
I think it must be the Ultram, they say it is not a narcotic but it sure feels like it. I am going to use your suggestion and break the rest in half and take more often. Would you go to two a day for a week and then one or just get it over with and crawl in bed and stop cold turkey. I was on Vicoden for five years before this. The stimulator is doing really well, it is just this time of night I can not stand it turned on. I think the stimulator may keep me off the drugs. I am fused from S1-L3-4. I used to be a mailman but not anymore.

I appreciate your help!
Jeff

Old 11-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hey Jeff,

Just wanna say hello and thinking of you. I hope you have a better day today

For the nights crawls - try benedryl or NyQuil to help you sleep. Try not to nap during the day - that wrecked me completely.

I wish you lots of luck in your recovery. There are some great people on this board who will help tremendously

Hugs,
emsmom

Old 11-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
(male)

imadeamistaka HB User

Thanks Emsmom,
I really appreciate the support, I feel like a wimp after reading all of the other posts. I just want to be able to finish my own sentences and be able to work and be productive LOL. After 14 years on different opiates fentanyl, morphine,lortab and others. Vicoden was my choice it kept me working and in the evening a beer or two with it to take the edge off. I have not slept much at all and have read most of the posts,and this site has helped. There are many ANGLES here who give there love to complete strangers. I was reading a post from reach last night with tears running down my face.I feel blessed to be down to three little pills a day, I just need to do it. I have been praying for all of us.
I am going to try the Niquil tonight. I did fall asleep for an hour kneeling over the sofa and woke up with numb knees
Take Care,
Jeff

Old 04-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #8
(male)

mathew555 HB User

Hi - after reading some post I am hurting to say that I am on night 4 from ultram and I am having a hard time. Been doing ultram for 4 months -10 a day and for the last 2 weeks was doing 30 aday (I cannot believe I did not die) until right into the hos. long story. My questing is it ok to drink 60ml of nyquil tonight? HELP.

Closed Thread