It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User
I need advice on switch to fentanyl - for taper...

Hey all,

How is everyone today? I was going to switch to a morphine suppository for my taper, however they are no longer on the market in Canada.

My doctor has now switched me to fentanyl (pain patch) 50mg because of profuse vomitting (due to another medical situation). I'll start tomorrow, as my pharmacy doesn't have it available today.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Will this be similar to oxy's and percocets? My doctor said there will be a difference, is anyone familiar with this switch?

Also, does anyone know if it will be easier or harder to taper from fentanyl, then it was from the oxy's and percocets?

Advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated Spark, are you out there? I always appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks a bunch. Hope everyone is having a great day.

Love and hugs,
emsmom

Last edited by emsmom; 11-07-2007 at 09:57 AM.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: I need advice on switch to fentanyl - for taper...

Oh please be very careful with fentanyl.. it is so powerful and killed so many..please, be very careful..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hey jules,

Wow, that just scared the crap outta me.

emsmom

Old 11-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

em the fentyal wont kill you unless you start eating the inside of the patch and i dont think you are the kind to do that.so dont worry about that part of it.the part that you should maybe worry about is that fentyal is very much more potent than oxy or percs.im sure he said that the doseages are equilavalent but the fentyal is just so much stronger.it is 200 more times potent than morphine.also it is a time release thru the patch and it is harder to taper off of because you cant just drop a little bit at a time.if you are on the 50mg patch then all you can drop down to after that is the 25mg.thats a big drop and it is felt everytime,no way around it.there was a women on here that was trying to taper off fentyal and she was having a very hard time.i would rather see you go on suboxone than fentyal,it is dissolved under the tongue so stomch is not a problem.i advise against the fentyal but you are in the care of the dr so you have to do what they prescribe.

the stomach issues are having a drastic effect on your taper and your life.its a unique problem thats for sure.do this for me,since suboxone can be prescribed for off label use,ask your dr if he will scribe it to you for your taper and for the stomach issues.i think it is your best chance at this time.tell the dr to start you on the 2mg pills and you can adjust dosage easier with these. at least ask about the sub before you start the patch i beg of you.good luck-spark

Last edited by spark-o-cet; 11-07-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Yeah eating the fentanyl is probably a killer...so is putting the patch too close to your heart.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
(female)

percproblem HB User

Hmmm. Ask your dr. if you actually cut the patch. I am an EMT even though i don't work as one right now (pay stinks) but i do know of someone who actually tapered off the patch by cutting it. He did it in halfs then quarters thenquarters of quarters. Check with Dr. to make sure.
It might work out great!

Hang in there!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hey spark,

Thanks a bunch for the info. And thanks Jules for the wake up call. I looked up the info regarding the fentanyl patch and read it about four times.

Spark, unfortunately, Suboxone is not available in Canada. I already considered that route. Fortunately, fentanyl now comes in a 12.5 mg dose as well, so when I taper from 50mg I can go to 37.5 instead of 25...make sense? Essentially, I'll be wearing two patches(a 25mg and a 12.5mg), however it will be less of a drop.

I remember the girl who had a very hard time with fentanyl, so I mentioned this to my doctor today. Unfortunately, its our last option, as I cannot seem to hold anything down. I'm popping perks whenever I throw up, so we really don't know how much I'm getting. Now, I'm booked for a scope (tube down the throat, into the stomach) to see what else is going on. I'm only 31 and have so much on my plate right now - its amazing I haven't cracked!!

In terms of the potency, will I feel the fentanyl more than the oxy's and perks? I certainly hope not. The euphoria feeling is what I'm NOT supposed to feel, otherwise this is better for the addict, right? Hmm, so much to consider. I actually have been considering cold turkey, as I'm getting very frustrated. I just want to go away and deal with it, but my doctors have advised me NOT to, due to the other issues I'm facing at the moment.

Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it more than you know. Its better to hear from someone with experience, rather than some article on the internet stating "what if's" and such.

Hugs,
emsmom

Old 11-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

emsmom, I'm so sorry for what you are going thru now. It sounds like you really need the pain meds and you are so strong to want to go off of them.
You are an awesome woman and you will do what is right for you. As always, you're in my thoughts and prayers. I really admire you.
Huggs,
JB

Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

JB,

That means so much to me. Thank you so much. Its posts like these that keep me strong

Love and hugs,
emsmom

Closed Thread